radio change

floridasnkbite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to change the stock radio in my '94 R/T 10 here in South Florida. Would like to find a reliable place to take my viper. :usa:

Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is extremely easy to change the unit yourself, I changed mine the day I got it, and I would not trust anyone to do it but my self. If you decide to do it your self just pm me and I will assist you in anyway I can.

Adam

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking to change the stock radio in my '94 R/T 10 here in South Florida. Would like to find a reliable place to take my viper. :usa:

Do you want to sell the original?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing that this is your first post, please be careful whom you give it to. There are a lot of accidents caused by inexperienced people. I recommend nobody but you drive it. Even if it's just into the shop.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you do it. I can't figure it out.

Behind the trim surrounding the stock head unit, there is a space for a din removal tool. The tool essentially frees the lock tabs holding the unit in place to the surrounding mounting kit. Most times you can free it using a couple of flat bladed screw drivers, but I would suggest you go to a stereo shop and purchase the tool as you have never done this before ~$20.

Once the tool is inserted, the unit simply slides out. You unhook the harness, splice or find a plug in adapter and reattach to the new unit.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Behind the trim surrounding the stock head unit, there is a space for a din removal tool. The tool essentially frees the lock tabs holding the unit in place to the surrounding mounting kit. Most times you can free it using a couple of flat bladed screw drivers, but I would suggest you go to a stereo shop and purchase the tool as you have never done this before ~$20.

Once the tool is inserted, the unit simply slides out. You unhook the harness, splice or find a plug in adapter and reattach to the new unit.
Stock Viper radios (both Gen I and Gen II) are held in with two screws. You simply carefully pull off the dash piece that surrounds the shifter/AC controls/ash tray/Radio, then unscrew the two screws. I'm not sure what you are thinking about with this "DIN removal tool", but I'm not sure your thinking of the right car.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stock Viper radios (both Gen I and Gen II) are held in with two screws. You simply carefully pull off the dash piece that surrounds the shifter/AC controls/ash tray/Radio, then unscrew the two screws. I'm not sure what you are thinking about with this "DIN removal tool", but I'm not sure your thinking of the right car.

Thanks for the correction. I have not pulled the trim piece myself, but this is essentially how all the stereos I have ever installed, helped installed are held in place.

2 screws, even easier then.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. I have not pulled the trim piece myself, but this is essentially how all the stereos I have ever installed, helped installed are held in place.

2 screws, even easier then.
Exactly. One has to be careful pulling the trim piece, and even more careful putting it back in, especially with a Gen I dash - as the metal fasteners on the underside of the trim piece will scratch the fuzzy gray stuff off of the Gen I dash so fast its not funny. (This is from experience - which is partly why I replaced the dash cover on my Gen I way back when.)

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey randy or anyone else

you wouldn't have a photo of pulling the trim piece off would you...i have a pioneer head unit from last christmas...and don't know who to take it too here in columbus to have it installed...so if someone could explain this a little better...preferably with pics...i would give it a shot on my own!!!

thanks

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey randy or anyone else

you wouldn't have a photo of pulling the trim piece off would you...i have a pioneer head unit from last christmas...and don't know who to take it too here in columbus to have it installed...so if someone could explain this a little better...preferably with pics...i would give it a shot on my own!!!

thanks

Just carefully pop it off. I would disconnect the battery if you are doing much work in there. It is really easy to screw up and short something out.

699Center_console_bezel.jpg

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, a friend of mine actually gave me a really nice unit that has the flip out tv screen. I was considering swapping myself. The removal of the old i am not concerned about, it is installing the new....the wires are not just going to click into the old are they? there has to be some sort of additional work, no?

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
viperjames

from what i have heard they make a replacable harness that attatches right in to the factory stuff, or you can just splice directly in!

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey carguy

what did you use to pop it loose? i don't want to scratch the dash and need a repaint!...does it come apart pretty easy???

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It pops out easy, just lightly pull up where the shifter boot is and pull it out from the dash. Just a couple of velcro strips and those metal clips. The red arrows are where the clips are and the white ones show the velcro. I "borrowed" that pic from the gallery.

I was able to wiggle my head unit out without removing the dash. I just took most of the screws loose.

As far as I know there are no harnesses out there to make an easy swap. I think that getting things to run through the factory amps makes it complicated. I wish there was an easy way, I would swap in a second.

I did do the adapter to add a factory style cd changer that runs off the stock head unit. If you don’t already have one it is worth the effort.

OP
OP
F

floridasnkbite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to let you guys know I took my '94 Viper to Senor Stereo in Pembroke Pines and the guy there is great. He found the problem why my radio didn't work. It turned out to be a broken wire next to the battery terminal and since I was there I had them install a new radio so I could listen to CD's since in my '94 didn't come with one.
Nice clean job and job looks and sounds great. Ask for Criss at the desk and Irwin is the techs name who did the job. A class act if you ask me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96