Radio Problem

First Strike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
About a week ago while driving for about an hour nonstop my stock CD player suddenly stop producing sound. I immediaetly pulled over thinking there was some sort of problem with the CD player, but when I switched to the radio mode same symptons no sound. The digital display on the face of the radio indicated that the unit was on even had volume to max output. After several attempts trying to figure out what was wrong I decided to return to my garage and park the car. After a couple of hours still no sound. I finally went to bed that night really concerned, well the next morning put the key in the ignition and the radio was back to normal producing sound. Called the dealer service dept and spoke with one of the viper techs, he replied he had never encountered this type of problem & advised me to bring the car in if problem should re- occur. Well today upon driving for also about an hour problem re-occured, seems to be associated with car reaching a certain operating temparature. If there's any one who have experienced this problem please advise, Thanks

2006 SRT/10 COUPE
400 MILES ON ODOMETER

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The amp overheated, so the thermal overload protection circuit tripped on and shut the amp off. The amp is located underneath the passenger seat. Make sure you didnt put anything underneath the seat on top of the amp. My opinion is the amp is in a terrible spot, as in no air circulation. To cure the problem would be to swap out the amp and get one with a built in fan or relocate the factory amp which would be alot more work, because you would have to extend all the wires to the trunk.

OP
OP
F

First Strike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems like the logical answer, thanks for your suggestions.

2006 SRT/10 BLACK/SILVER STRIPE COUPE
1966 427/425 CORVETTE COUPE
2006 PEARL ORANGE LAMBORGHINI COUPE
1972 ONTARIO ORANGE CORVETTE/VERT

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a hard question? I quote Huuuhhhh" Is the cd changer/player part of the unit in the dash or is it remotly mounted elsewhere under the dash like the amp is under the seat? Hell I have never even turned the stupid thing on. if I want to hear music then the exhaust and engine noise is my music. hell what's next, a navagation system?.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is this a hard question? I quote Huuuhhhh" Is the cd changer/player part of the unit in the dash or is it remotly mounted elsewhere under the dash like the amp is under the seat? Hell I have never even turned the stupid thing on. if I want to hear music then the exhaust and engine noise is my music. hell what's next, a navagation system?.

I can't believe you don't know where the stock CD changer is. It's in the dash unit...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer, why did you not just say so the first time? Just for your imformation , do you know where the cd unit is on a Mercury Marauder? The dash unit? Wrong! It is in the trunk and and wired to the dash unit, which can hold 1 cd, via fiber optics. So this was not a such stupid question like you would have everyone believe. Again, thank you for the answer to my question.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've experienced the same problem on both of my SRT-10's. Overheating of the amp is the cause. When this happens, the only thing you can do is shut off the unit, wait a minute or so, and turn it on back on.

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you know where the cd unit is on a Mercury Marauder? The dash unit? Wrong! It is in the trunk and and wired to the dash unit, which can hold 1 cd, via fiber optics.

er, no, it connects to the radio over normal copper wires. four audio lines, one battery, one enable, one ground, and two ACP bus wires.

Turning unit off a minute does not cut it for my car, on two occasions I had two wait overnight.

well, the hottest part is the heatsink, and as it's a big hunk of aluminum, it'll take a while to cool down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog