Radio Question

BigSexyJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody experience static/signal drifting on OEM Navigation radio on a 2008.
Often times radio stations that usually come in crystal clear in other vehicles (both older and newer) are often average at best.
Any suggestions/fixes?
Wish they had XM/SIRIUS for this car...
I do not want to go after-market or changing the unit.

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
Jay

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody experience static/signal drifting on OEM Navigation radio on a 2008.
Often times radio stations that usually come in crystal clear in other vehicles (both older and newer) are often average at best.
Any suggestions/fixes?
Wish they had XM/SIRIUS for this car...
I do not want to go after-market or changing the unit.

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
Jay

If you have the NAV unit you should benanle to get sirius/xm. It was available on the GEN IV cars. As for your radio problem i havent experienced it much. Truth be told inonly listen to my iPod now in my GEN IV.

OP
OP
B

BigSexyJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently I need a module for the satellite. Was looking around on Ebay etc for OEM modules; think I found one. But... MOST important question; is the install worth the hassle? I am not one to take things apart because IMO nothing is ever the same after it is changed from factory... Always a squeak, a lose nut/bolt etc... IF it was a bolt on plug n play we have a deal... if it requires removing things... I may lean towards a no no

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you do decide to do that keep me posted. I have the same set up as you and want Sirius also. I installed the Mopar Ipod interface and it messed up my car big time! I was so pissed. i am a big music guy so I want some tunes in my ride.
Apparently I need a module for the satellite. Was looking around on Ebay etc for OEM modules; think I found one. But... MOST important question; is the install worth the hassle? I am not one to take things apart because IMO nothing is ever the same after it is changed from factory... Always a squeak, a lose nut/bolt etc... IF it was a bolt on plug n play we have a deal... if it requires removing things... I may lean towards a no no

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My vert has same problem even with after market Kenwood system. The problem is related to the antenna type, location and gain characteristics. The two problems you are experiencing are low sensitivity and multi-path. FM radio is typically transmitted with a circular polarization to help combat these issues however cannot overcome our cars poor antenna design. Low sensitivity is caused by a combination of weaker stations and poor antenna performance. Multi-path is caused by the FM signal being received directly by the antenna and also reflecting off water towers metal buildings and other metal structures and then reaching your car antenna at a delayed time. Many new car systems have diversitiy antenna systems to help but I am not sure if we have this type of two antenna design in the Viper. To be honest I really haven't paid much attention to where the antenna is located, probably in windshield or rear glass. Either way the antenna type and location is not optimal at all for best reception. Without getting into antenna polarization, types, etc. it is safe to say the old stick type offers the best performance due to its cross section and wavelength characteristics but no one is going to nail one of these on their Viper. Also because our cars do not have metal panels we do not have much of a ground plane to help the reception issue. Basically there is not much that can be done short of buliding a custom antenna that may help slightly. Keep in mind there are no easy fixes like antenna boosters (amplifier), etc. In the RF field this is known as "garbage in....garbage out" meaning you will only amplify the poor signal conditions and then overdrive the FM receiver front end making things worse. Sorry there are no easy fixes but just wanted to explain the problems you are experiencing in more detail which may help you decide the next steps. Personally I just installed aftermarket that accepts a USB stick and sometimes use the 1/8 inch jack with my smartphone. Too many commericals on FM these days anyway :smirk:

OP
OP
B

BigSexyJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you again for all the input. I am going to contact my dealer just as an Q&A type of thing. I do have an ipod/iphone interface cable run through the center console which allows me to listen to Pandora (yes the cheap one with commercials every few songs)-- But, then the iphone battery drains, and newer iphones are not able to charge via the aftermarket cables- You fix one problem; yet create another... my gut says to leave it alone.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you again for all the input. I am going to contact my dealer just as an Q&A type of thing. I do have an ipod/iphone interface cable run through the center console which allows me to listen to Pandora (yes the cheap one with commercials every few songs)-- But, then the iphone battery drains, and newer iphones are not able to charge via the aftermarket cables- You fix one problem; yet create another... my gut says to leave it alone.
KISS FTW:2tu:

JasonSSG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
labtec what sort of aftermarket did you go with? Also how did it interface with your antenna? Are you able to still get in radio stations?

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kenwood DNX6980. This is a double din unit and requires substantial modifications to the dash. I used Double D Mods for the bezel conversion. The antenna connection may have required an adapter but the car audio store will have the part. Reception does seem slightly better, maybe because of the units good specifications. Basically if you want to get the best reception possible using the existing antenna placement buying the best head unit you can afford may help. Typically the manufacturers pay a little more attention to the FM section of the unit than the less expensive units. Specifications such as capture ratio (lower number is better), Alternate Channel Selectivity (higher number is better) and AM Rejection (lower number is better). BTW the AM Rejection is not related to the AM radio, it is to reduce noise from adjacent amplitude modulated noise devices.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenwood DNX6980. This is a double din unit and requires substantial modifications to the dash. I used Double D Mods for the bezel conversion. The antenna connection may have required an adapter but the car audio store will have the part. Reception does seem slightly better, maybe because of the units good specifications. Basically if you want to get the best reception possible using the existing antenna placement buying the best head unit you can afford may help. Typically the manufacturers pay a little more attention to the FM section of the unit than the less expensive units. Specifications such as capture ratio (lower number is better), Alternate Channel Selectivity (higher number is better) and AM Rejection (lower number is better). BTW the AM Rejection is not related to the AM radio, it is to reduce noise from adjacent amplitude modulated noise devices.
Not to hijack but have you ever posted on car audio forums under this screen name? Looks pretty familiar even though I have been out of car audio for a few years now...

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't think I've posted on car audio forums but I have used the screen name on a few other forums.

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 08 has a radio?

Just kidding! I never have it on to be honest. Mainly because I love listening to the sounds of the car. The V10 is sheer music to me.

aminks99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you have any pictures of the modifications you did to the dash? I am thinking about going this route but was curious as to what it is that needs to be cut/modified. Just trying to find out what I'm about to get myself into.