DRB III, StarSCAN, StarMOBILE, and wiTECH...decisions, decisions!!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

As the title suggests, there are some very useful tools on the market that could be considered a "must have" for the REAL Viper enthusiast. The above evolutionary spectrum of diagnostic/service tools goes way beyond simple Check Engine Light (CEL) code reading, which can be done with a tool costing $40 to 400.00. Clearing a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) can be of benefit (especially the often encountered "evaporative emissions" codes), and the tools by Actron or Innova perform well, to mention just two such "code readers" or "scan tools".

For the more interested Viper enthusiast (read that aggressive or "crazy" as some have put it) or "shade-tree mechanic", the newer a vehicle is, the more complex it has become. In order to dabble in these diagnostic areas and "simple fixes", the price of admission becomes significant. One such area would be the occasional spurious Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) warning that pops up (seemingly frequent on 2008 Vipers) in spite of perfectly normal tire pressures. Once that I determine that "all is well" with the tires, I would like the dash light to disappear...which does not always happen. Then it either becomes a trip to the dealer (which I actually enjoy), or live with the light in hopes that it will "depart",...OR, act on one's own...which requires some real scan tools!!

In a similar fashion, a thorough brake fluid/air flush on an ABS equipped Viper (by the way, Viper is code named "ZB") can in fact require a scan tool of the magnitude listed in the title in order to cycle the actuators in the hydraulic controller unit (HCU) if air has entered that portion of the system. For late Gen II Vipers (2001 and 2002), Gen III Vipers (2003 to 2006) a DRB III works well. (Our DRB III also works on OUR 2008 Viper in this area).

Once one moves into the Gen IV (2008 and 2009) Vipers, things get very complex as these vehicles' communications are based on a hybrid system of CAN bus and PCI bus.

Background info session now over!!! Rookies and poseurs are free bow out !! :)

For those of you who have watched the "you need this tool or that tool debates" presented here, there are a variety of seemingly divergent opinions from reputable folks about how to approach a given Viper with a given tool for a given problem. IN MY OPINION, this is merely a reflection of the lack of well defined, strict "treatment protocols" provided "from above" (OEM's, tool designers, tool makers, tool sellers, tool tech supporters, and the manual writers...often having little feedback from the real-life, front line working Viper Technicians. Again, note that this is MY OPINION).

EXAMPLE STATEMENT...2008-9 Vipers require a StarSCAN, StarMOBILE, or wiTECH to diagnose and service the vehicle...NOT so fast...remember that the PCI bus (J1850) can link up with a DRB III quite nicely in some areas...ABS, TPM to mention two areas that I HAVE TESTED ON OUR 2008 Viper. ( I "cured" the illuminated TPM light using a DRB III, thank you very much!!... while the standalone wiTECH's declaration of "38-TPM diagnostics" hinted of a problem in the "environmental" area without a DTC being set...BUT the wiTECH gave me no prompts or pathways for finding a solution!!!)) However, to map the PCM's functions on our 2008 Viper, it's wiTECH time...and it was very to do easy, beautifully presented, and just plain COOL !!!!

EXAMPLE NUMBER TWO: "The CAN bus tools won't work on the 2003 to 2006 Vipers". NOT SO at our house...as I drove a 2003 SRT-10 to a nearby dealer where the Tech hooked up a StarSCAN to it, ( he did have to select "2008 ZB" as there is no date earlier than that presented on the menu for a Viper...then he manually entered the menus)...and BINGO, we were in to such areas as TPM, ABS, alarm, etc.!!!

To me, the StarSCAN is still a very useful, compact tool!!!

Did YOU know that the StarSCAN order form is no longer listed on the Chrysler Tech Authority web site?? It has been "replaced" by the StarMOBILE and the even newer wiTECH. The problem for some occurs when one finds out that the StarMOBILE and wiTECH are both "pass through" devices that require a laptop!! (NOTE: a PC with Windows XP works with both, and a PC with Vista WILL work with a wiTECH IF it is Vista 32 bit and NOT the Vista 64 bit edition). So far, I have no personal experience with a StarMOBILE...YET!!!

Too bad that the old, somewhat slow STANDALONE StarSCAN is no longer in production as it seems to "fit" MOST applications that a hobbyist might want or need for a 2003 through 2009 Viper.

Well, with lots of questioning, digging, and a little prodding...I have it on GOOD authority that SPX-Miller Tools WILL make the currently discontinued StarSCAN available to Viper owners who may want same. They have agreed to build a few, and watch for a market response. They did warn me (AS OF TODAY) that the StarSCAN will not support the 2010 cars(...and, who knows FOR SURE that there will BE a 2010 Viper... I HOPE there will be one!!)

I would also state that all of this diatribe is MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION AND EXPERIENCE, and no special claims concerning my "explorations" into vehicle and tool compatibilities are being put forth by the above mentioned SPX-Miller. If YOU want to know more, ask your Tech. If you are interested in the STANDALONE StarSCAN from SPX-Miller, call them at 1-800-801-5420...work your way through their menu to StarSCAN sales..and I would ask for "Anthony" as he is the gentleman with whom I have had these discussions. The price will be $3900.00...period. (DRB III $6500.00, StarMOBILE and wiTECH each about $2600.00 AND you still need a laptop).

Much of the purpose of this post is to point out that there are several ways to approach these cars, issues, and tools...pick your own pathway. I will say that not all tools do exactly what one thinks that they should in all environments...especially in the atmosphere of dealerships trying to provide service for customers in a timely fashion ( and still stay afloat) versus one fooling around in one's own garage with one's own vehicles.

FINAL NOTE: I have NOTHING to do with these companies (nor will I). I'm just a retail customer trying to sort my way down the Viper pathway and having a BLAST!!!

Different opinions and contrary observations are welcome!!!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a DRB III they want to sell? $6,500's is way out of my league.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same situation awhile back, in regards to buying a DRB III. I was between DRB III, and Snap-on Solus Pro. I talked to Chuck and he recommended the Solus over the DRB, due to available to use on on other vehicles, and able to update through Snapon, vs having to find a DCX dealer to update it.

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good to hear Snap-On is getting into the game. In the year before I purchased the DRB III (about 2 years ago), Snap-On HDQ Tech Dept. told me that they did not have a tool usable on a Viper. I had been loaned a Modus setup ($8000.00) by a friend that I really liked...had all of the "keys", worked well on a 1998 Jeep...but did nothing worthwhile on any Viper that we owned...96 through 03. At that time they said that D-C wanted too much money for the licenses for Vipers and that the market was too small. Sounds like things have changed!!
By the way, the Aftermarket DRB III was sold with full support for 3 years...though Tech Dept. admitted that no updates were planned beyond the latest disc that they sent me. So far, it is still on my "to do list"...but I haven't needed the updates as I have no interest in working on anything other that Vipers...and the DRB III kit covers our needs with the exception of PCM on the 08...which solved with the wiTECH.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456