Ran a Cerfax, I need advice....quick!!!!

97fatboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran a CARFAX on a 1997 GTS I placed a downpayment on (yes I know I should have ran it first). The odometer reads 13,731. The CARFAX report showed 20 miles on 8-22-1997 at the time of first title. It is a one owner car. The only other CARFAX mileage entry is on 9-20-2002 and it shows 109,000. I was devastated. The owner is an older gentleman and I really trusted his word. He states it was an error. Does the odometer on a Viper roll over at 100K? Could this be a problem with an electronic component of the Viper, registering higher than expected? What should I do?

OP
OP

97fatboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks 1TONY1, it would appear that the CARFAX report may be incorrect, based upon the Dodge database. The 10,900 (versus 109,000) fits with the service record. How would you go about having the CARFAX information changed if it is indeed incorrect? This would be a problem if I bought it and tried to re-sale it down the line.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides the odometer, the true milage is stored on the computer . Have a dealer pull it.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
97fatboy - good luck with the purchase! I live in Olathe area - we should all meet up some time. I am currently in Munich until end of Feb.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just shows how accurate carfax is. Carfax should not be taken as the only information source. It should be used in conjunction with dealer records and DMV records.

C4L3B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can call carfax and they will send an inspector out to verify. We had to do it for a car in stock (premiercars.com) that showed a wreck. This car had never been anywhere near where they said the wreck was, and after the inspection, they corrected the report.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Lightning that had exstensive damage( that I claimed on insurance) & car fax showed nothing at all, I think its a wast of time.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides the odometer, the true milage is stored on the computer . Have a dealer pull it.

Don't count on that either. When I took my 1996 in to have the Arrow rebuild..... the service tech told me the computer indicated mileage of 335,000 miles. The odometer... and actual mileage was 33,500 at the time.

He corrected it in the front level computer memory...... the OBDII computers apparently have a couple of redundancies in them.... only the factory can check them all (at least that is what I was told).... but it was obvious my Viper did not have 335,000 miles.

It's all a crap shoot.....

OP
OP

97fatboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have talked to several dealers regarding my questions. It soulds pretty common that the internal computer mileage does not match the odometer. My perception is that the odometer is the "truest" mileage, but that too can be changed by a dealer. However, if the odometer is changed, they are required to sticker the car accordingly. I believe my issue was a typing error, as the title clearly reads 10,900 miles, not 109,000.

STL RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any time the previous owner had it in for an inspection,(safety/emissions) they may have entered the mileage wrong. Happened to me on one of my other cars. I had 1,500 miles on it, he typed in 15,000. Almost gave me a heart attack.

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beware of an odo sticker in the door. As far a re-sale is concerned you will never get a fair value for a car. An odo sticker is like aids and you can't get rid of it. I know that this does not apply to you but just good advise.
C~