Ran over some shrapnel today, tire question

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me just start the post by saying I was coming home from the most ridiculous day ever, in terms of work, class, traffic, stupid people, just nuts... 10 minutes from my house on the interstate and I run over a piece of metal or something while changing lanes, didnt see it in time to react, regardless, the loud noise of me crushing it, then of course my tire light comes on and wont stop flashing or beeping (annoying) and I pull over to check it out. There is no visibile sign (yet) of tire loss from looking at the profile of the car, I got underneath and checked the inside and there is definitely a lump on the inside due to the lack of air.

My question. Do I bother to even try to get this run flat repaired? Can they be repaired? Or should I just dial up tire rack right now.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you still have the stock run flats (ZP tires) then you can definitely have it patched. There is a ZP (zero pressure) or run flat tire patch kit. "Discount Tire" can do it.

http://dt.know-where.com/DiscountTire//region/US/IL.html

Now, this does depend on where the "hole" in the tire is. If it is in the tread area, no problem. If in the sidewall, forget it, you'll need a new tire.

I had a nail in one of my run flats in Sept, had it repaired, no problems.

-J

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright ill pop the wheel off and see if I can see anything in order to let them know where it is when I get there, if I dont see anything hopefuly they can. Thanks for the quick reply.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I hope that everything works out for the best. Ran over a big peice of wood in the road two summers ago; did not see it at all till to late. I HEARD IT! Had to get the tow truck to come and get the car. Needless to say, 4 hours later the car was towed without a TOP! Picked it up the following morning.