Random Tech Failure

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just noticed a check engine light on my '01 RT/10. I took it to the local Dodge dealership and they ran a few test. Verdict ... falty cataletic converter on the drivers side. I have Random Tech Hi-flows installed and the dealership said that the can only replace a faulty cat with an OEM unit. Anyone else have this problem? Does this mean I have to put the stock units (currently in my garage) back on the vehicle? Anyone know where I can order one Random Tech hi-flow?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats not good news. Just had these installed on my car. Hopefully someone will chime in.. They have a warranty.. did you fill out the card, and return?

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats not good news. Just had these installed on my car. Hopefully someone will chime in.. They have a warranty.. did you fill out the card, and return?

Unfortunantly, I did not fill out the card. Let that be a lesson to everyone.... do the little things that count. I really like the sound generated by the Random Techs. Hopefully, this was just an exception because I would love to keep using Random Tech. Basically, I have no one to blame but myself for not securing the warranty.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Unfortunantly, I did not fill out the card. Let that be a lesson to everyone.... do the little things that count. I really like the sound generated by the Random Techs. Hopefully, this was just an exception because I would love to keep using Random Tech. Basically, I have no one to blame but myself for not securing the warranty.

Not your fault, Even if you did fill out the card. Its still inconvenient to have to take the car back to the shop, pay them to r&r the cats. Then after that, you have to pay to have them shipped back and wait for a credit, am I right???.... Worst Case, Im sure you could just buy ONE from Random Tech, given the circumstances. If a set new is $325 or so, its not all that bad. Could be much worse :) ...

I really like how they sound as well. Would probably want to replace just that one...

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I will just replace the faulty one. I will take a closer look at it tonight. Of course, I could always just delete the cats completely. :D

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cats just don't go bad. If your car is running too rich, the extra fuel can end up in the cat and cause it to melt into a rock form. Banging on the cat you should hear a raddle sound or have blockage in your exhaust causing or car to run poorly. Replacing the cat will not fix your problem, it will only happen again.

What I would do is take the Viper to Auto Zone and get the code number checked. The code will give you direction where to look and you can come back here and get advice. You can also start the car and check the pressure coming out of the exhaust pipe and compare each pipe.

Any mechanic will know that cats just don't fail, it's something else that causes it. I think the dealer was lying about the cat being bad. They should have discovered another problem that caused the cat to fail. They just wanted to sell you something that you don't need. I always like the part when they tell people that they can only install parts that they order. Never trust what a mechanic tells you, especially if it is going to cost a lot for a repair.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm continually getting a check engine code for Cat efficiency failure on my drivers side which has a Random Tech ceramic high flow cat installed. I can reset the code but it comes back in like clock work within 75 miles. I had mine installed out of state and never new there was a card I had to mail in!!

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great advice guys. I have the ceramic cats and it was the one on the driver's side that caused the problem. After the dealership ran the tests, the check engine light no longer comes on. I spoke with Jon B today (the guy was working on a holiday? :confused: :D ) and he gave me some great advice. A number of things could have caused the light to come on so I will see if it appears again in the coming weeks. I took the car out again this morning and had no problems.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI....Some states(like mine) only allow OEM cats on OBDII vehicles, so even if replacing a faulty OEM you would have to again go with the factory replacement.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure of the model, however, I saw an aftermarket high flow cat fail in such a way that it totally blocked the exhaust path. This was at a road course event. The exhaust eventually burned a hole thru the cat and caught the sill on fire. Until I saw this happen I would not have believed that the exhaust could burn thru the steel shell, nor that a cat could cause this much damage. This was on an NA car.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree but we have had two cars in the UK with failed Random Tech Cats both had serious nearly fire issues in the side sills. Both seemed to be nearly blocked and both needed replacement.

One nearly caught the sill on fire in the Channel Tunnel :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :eek: :eek: :eek: