Randomtech hi flow cat installation help

Larz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im going to receive my Corsa exhaust and my Randomtech hi flow cats this week from Partsrack. Any suggestion on how to install the Randomtech's, where do i cut off the old cats? Can i use a hacksaw to cut them off? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Measure twice and cut once. :)

Actually, remove the old exhause first and mount up the CORSA. Then you'll be able to measure exactly how much or how little to cut in order to get the old cats out. a saws-all will work wonders, but be careful not to cut the insulation behind the pipes too much... it is ok if you nick it, but don't tear it up. I would suggest getting several sawsall blades b/c you might want to use some to cut off the old exhaust in addition to cutting out the cats.

good luck!

JD

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I cut the original cats off right where the headpipe enters the cat leaving as much straight pipe as possible since I used a 2 1/2" stepped band clamp from the RandomTech reducer to the headpipe. I removed the whole headpipe/cat assembly and cut it in my chop saw, I consider it easier than trying to cut it in situ.

I used a straight 3" band clamp from the rear of the cat to the Corsa muffler.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
L

Larz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have to buy those clamps from the store or is that the reducer that comes with the randomtech's?

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 3" to 2 1/2" reducers are from Random Tech and are welded into the cat, the band clamps are from the local exhaust parts warehouse.

Several members on this board have near identical setups and **** right through California Smog Check II. My day is yet to come.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my Viper tech install mine...very easy, just dropped it off and paid about $150, including a tip. Speaking of tips, he said to always weld on the exhaust manifold side of the cats...clamping OK on the downstream side but not a good installation on the "hot" side. For what it's worth...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine