Rank Your Modifications

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">In an attempt to share our collective knowledge, I'd be curious if some of us could rank order our modifications according to greatest bang for the buck and perhaps also list the few mods that we regret now that we have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

I can't add much as a new owner but here goes:

Adderware Smooth Tubes - $70.00
K&N's - $80.00
Combination seemed to sharpen up throttle response a bit and adds an interesting intake whistle.

That's it so far, though a Snake Oyl rear exhaust assembly (muffler eliminator) is on the way @ $530.00 + shipping.
</FONT f>

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) 4 days of professional driving instruction $2500

2) 4 days of professional driving instruction

3) 4 days of professional driving instruction

4) 4 days of professional driving instruction

5) 4 days of professional driving instruction

6) Tires $1000

7) Track time $250

8) Brake pads and fluid $300

9) Track time $250

10) Racing shocks and springs $5000

11) Track time $250

12) Air box/filters/hoses $100-$1200

13) Track time $250

14) Rear muffler delete $300

15) Track time $250

I've done 2 schools for a total of 7 days. The first 4 days were the best value I've gotten for any automotive expenditure - bar none - mainly because it is a high performance mod that you install in every vehicle you drive from that point on.

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a thought and maybe I'm missing something. Try taking off the front part of your air box. I then plastic tied the K&N filters on to the rear part of the stock air box. I'm telling you, my ET's at that time dropped from a 12.4 to a 12.2. Since then I've been running with it off and my best time was a 11.9 at 122 mph in the quarter mile. Smooth tubes, K&N, and performance 3" exhaust from Chrysler. Stock tires. Maybe someone can tell me why we should spend upwards of $500 & up for a front air box. Of course I don't drive my Viper in the rain, but why would you want to do that to a performance car anyway?

Reaction score
2 Day Skip Barber driving school
1 day Skip Barber Car Control
VOI4 Sebring
Open Track Laguna Seca (no Instructor)
A day a Thunderhill (no Instructor)
SCCA 2 day Autocross School
SCCA 2 day Viper Vette Challenge
A fem more day of Open Track events all at Laguna Seca (LS)(Green Flag and NASA) and with a Skip Barber instructor)
VOI5, Las Vegas Speedway, 2 days
3 day Skip Barber Racing School LS
Skip Barber Lapping Day LS
1 Day Skip Barber N.Calif. VCA Corp program (lot of Viper Seat Time)
VOI6, Gateway road course 2 days
Viper Days at Thunderhill
Modification Plans for 2001
Skip Barber Lapping Days, at least 4 at LS
Skip Barber Car Control once or twice
Advanced Skip Barber Racing School (2 days)in their new Open Wheel cars with paddle shifter, wings and slicks.
A few Open Track weekends
"Viper Days"

If you spend the money on training rather than engine mods you will be faster around a road course and a lot less likely to skin your Snake on the street or perhaps save your skin.

I am still slow but I do enjoy getting better.

The most cost effective mods to the car are K&N filters, Porsche brake deflectors, Motoul brake fluid and R4 brake pads.

Concentrate on looking ahead (about 3 seconds), Brake in a straight line, roll into the power pointing straight ahead. Keep the wheels on the pavement.

The best part of Viper Ownership is sharing the driving experience with wonderful people! The Viper Owners I have meet are really nice people. We (my wife and I) have made friends all over the world via the "Viper Experience"

Have fun and drive safe.

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 ACR - $82g's
Rear muffler elimination at local shop - $300
Hand wash - $25
Turning heads everywhere I go - priceless!

Jeff

You must be registered for see images

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well This is a great question, and PLEASE don't take me as a tuner with my answer. Here are what I have tested as the best bolt on Horsepower Gains per Dollar spent on my own vipers(97 and 96 GTS)

Complete Exhaust system(less Cats), 71 Rear wheel Horsepower for
$ 4000.00 = $ 56.33 per HP Gained

Nitrous Oxide Injection with Propane injection for Fuel Additive 222 rear wheel Horsepower for $ 1,900.00 = ONLY $ 8.55 per HP Gained. NOTE: The nitrous bottle has to be refilled approximately once for every 12 full 1/4 mile runs @ $ 26.25 for a full refill, or a net loss of $ 0.11 per HP gained. The propane bottle has to be refilled after approximately 60 full 1/4 mile runs at $ 1.30(neglagable $$)

The combination of the above Nets rear wheel Horsepower gains of
293 HP on my car which is equal to $ 20.13 Per Horsepower.

IN MY OPINION THERE IS NO CHEAPER, SAFER, EASIER WAY TO ACHIEVE THE ABOVE LEVELS OF PERFORMANCE.

Thanks again for asking, what gaines have others seen per dollar? as i for one am always looking to go faster.

tom

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Just received the Snake Oyl rear exhaust assembly (muffler eliminator). What a piece of workmanship - very heavy gauge 304 stainless. It will outlast the car! Quick and easy install (20 minutes total including jacking up the car), perfect alignment.

Pros:
Cory @ Snake Oyl has a wealth of Viper knowledge and is more than willing to share it.

Top quality workmanship

Quoted 12 horse improvement.

Moderately louder and better overall sound, but not "night and day" different.

Tips are polished stainless steel. Shinier than stock HRC tips.

Easy to return to stock. (a requirement for any mod I do)

Cons:
Expensive - total cost, $580.00

I didn't notice any increased performance.

Exhaust tips are 2~3 inches longer than stock. I much prefer the stock look and will have to cut tips down to achieve it.

Still doesn't sound like a big V8 (but goes a lot faster than one, which is a more than fair tradeoff)

Resonance runs from 2,250 rpm through 2,900 peaking @ 2,750. Peak resonance level a bit higher than stock but only over a 200 rpm band.

Verdict - For me... worth keeping, but not a must have.

I took a before and after high quality digital sound recording and a few tip photos that I'll post somewhere, someday. If anyone wants to check them out before I do, let me know.
</FONT f>

Reaction score
Since some of you mentioned professional driving instruction, I would like to ask for recommendations of curriculum.

I have no intentions of a new career in racing, just a humble goal of being able to safely take my car out on the track and achieve the fastest lap times on record in the modern era
You know, just have some fun.

Anyway, my driving experience consists of a day-long class at Texas Motor Speedway this summer which culminated in driving a Winston Cup car 20 laps with an instructor. The next day, I started looking for a Viper as the Volvo just didn't cut it anymore.

Any recommendations would be appreciated ...

Thanks
Bob

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A year before I got my '93 Viper, I enrolled in the Bondurant 4 day school at his brand new (then) facility outside Phoenix. It was a total immersion experience in prepared Mustangs, Tauruses with hydraulic outrigger dolly wheels, (skid control) and for the final day and a half, Formula Fords. I think there was about 4 hours of classroom time learning vehicle dynamics and a written test at the end for licensing. Heel and toe downshifting, throttle steering and threshold braking rank among the most valuable lessons you learn.

After quite a bit of seat time in the Mustangs, they move you into the formula cars. Power to weight and gearbox ratios are nearly identical, but you quickly learn to appreciate things like low centers of gravity and center of gravity shift (front engine, mid engine) effect performance and driveability.

Absolutely the most fun and rewarding thing I've ever done for myself (except for purchasing a Viper).

One final thought: Of all the things I did and learned there, the most memorable of all was riding in the very back corner of a fully loaded 15 passenger van with Bob Bondurant at the wheel. We drove around the racetrack at seemingly insane speeds and G-loads, seat frames groaning (along with the tires) while Bob casually drove one-handed and was talking over his shoulder to the group about his theories on car control. Every time I ride an airport shuttle or see a church van full of missionary kids, I think about how those drivers should experience the same thing.

Reaction score
I suggest the following order:
1. Skip Barber 2 day Performance Driving School(VCA members get a 25% discount)
2. Take one or more Skip Barber Car Control Clinics. (VCA members get a 10% discount).
3. Skip Barber Three Day Racing School (VCA members get a 25% discount).

After the 3 Day Racing School you can do a Lapping day, at several tracks across the country, check the Skip Barber schedule for lapping days.

I have taken all of the programs suggested and consider them to be great.

In our area there are a group of us that try to do the Lapping day together - what a blast.

I was surprised how much there is to learn about performance driving.

Let me know if you need more info.

Reaction score
Amit and others who have completed the 3 day Skip Barber racing school. It is fun to take a lapping day together so I thought we should have way to communicate when we plan to do lapping days so we can play and learn together.

John Hennessey's comment is self serving as he makes his living from selling hardware. I get satisfaction (only) from helping fellow Viper owners become better drivers and in turn they are safer drivers and get more pleasure from driving their cars. I started the Driving School campaign when a local Viper owner had a tragic accident (single car) with a fatality(his best friend in the passenger seat).

I can tell you this that John Hennessey can bring his best shot in his Viper tool box and Rich Bontempi will show him the tail lights of a stock Viper around Laguna Seca, Sears point, PIR!

"Viper Days" offers a great opportunity for Viper owners to practice their driving skills where the direction of traffic is controlled and there are no officers with radar waiting to write a ticket or take your car.

A stock Viper has more performance than most of us can control so what is the point of spending money that may make the car more difficult to control, before learning how to control the stock Viper? I guess we could compare dyno numbers? Different strokes for different folks.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Half of the satisfaction of modifications I do to a car or truck is the enjoyment of the installation. I have done dozens of modifications to my Chevy K 2500. While my GTS has plenty of power I just feel drawn to working on it.
I just love get my hands dirty....

Reaction score
Hi John, Laguna Seca is where we play. The track is just over an hour drive from Home (Bay Area). I am leaning to the 2 day advanced racing school Dec 4-5 using the 2000RT. Will confirm tonight after our club meeting. Hope to have 5-6 members do this school. This is a new program which educates the students on wing position, race starts, passing and the normal lapping feed back program. I think the cost is $1590 less 10% for VCA members. The 2001 price is increasing to around $1750.

Reaction score
Hi John, thanks for supporting the safety and learning side of the Viper experience. I do understand what you mean. I confess that I have a little something being constructed for the straight liners. But for the new and older Viper owner I think it is to your benefit (they will live longer to buy your goodies) but most important to the Viper Pilot's benefit to keep their brain in touch with their ability and driving conditions. For a new Viper owner to add power without performance driving skills is a formula for a very sad ending! I like hp just like the next guy. Given the choice I would like to drive like Bontempi and give the hp to someone else. It is so much fun to watch Bontempi wip up on the Big hp cars. My view only. I wish your ventures much success!

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best performance mod: Lowering the car a few inches. Tough to get a jack under the car but what a difference in cornering. Of course all the usual mods (filters, tires, 600 fluid) for the track don't hurt either.

Best appearence mod: On the 98 GTS was the combination of sidepipes, dual platform wing and a free flow (no crossbar)fascia with an Autoform splitter. Very distinctive car. On a lowered platform it really looks pretty cool. Sidepipes also keep heat off of the differential and allow that all important trailer hitch for your track tires.

What makes the car faster: seat time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187