RB1 Nav Install

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am having problems with the search function. Just me?

I have the dash apart and am installing the RB1 and IPOD controller. Old radio came out fine. I now need a bit of clarification. The IPOD controller plugs into the small nylone connector and the larger one is coming from behind the dash. There is another small connection (same size as the IPOD) and there is no place for it on the RB1.

Any thoughts? I dont' want to have a connector laying in there loose. It is no longer needed?

I have the correct part #'s according to prior posts from memory.

Last edited:

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have the connector to the nav antenna (smaller of the two) and the large one coming from the iPod controller. Plug the large connector from the controller into the radio and the one that went to the old radio into the iPod controller itself.

I think I still have some notes at home from when I did my own install. I can scan and e-mail them when I get home tonight if you PM me your e-mail.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Just so I understand... Forgetting the FM ant and the NAV ant. there are two nylon connectors coming from the 'the car'. The first is the large connector and the second is about half its size. The large connector goes into the RB1, the smaller connector on the rear of the radio goes to the IPOD connector, leaving a second (of same size) connector loose that originates from the car.

resaid - sorry thinking this through

Two connections comging from the car. Large and small nylon connectors.

Only four connections on the back of the RB1. Nav ant, fm ant, large nylon and smaller nylon.

From RB1 - large nylon goes to 'the car', smaller nylon to the IPOD adapter.

This leaves me with one smaller nylon without a seat.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh well the search feature is now telling me NO MATCHES found on even simple queries.

There are definitely two connectors coming from the car and only two spaces on the back of the NAV which leaves no place for the IPOD connector. I have the dash in pieces. Anyone else have a similar problem?

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess that the search function isn't working again. The RB1 part number I have ends in AI. Is this the one that is incompatible with the IPOD unit?

Seems like the NAV unit should have three nylon connectors to accomodate the IPOD connector. The dealer that sold me the unit is clueless.

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember right, the big plug from the car plugs into the RB1, the small plug from the car plugs into the ipod module. Then there is another cable that plugs into the module and RB1, its the smaller size plug.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I panicked a bit. Here is what I have.

Nav Unit versus stock radio

IMG00002.jpg
IMG00003.jpg

top side view with part number

View from dash

IMG00001.jpg
http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/IMG00001.jp

The third connector is from the IPOD coming from the glove box. No way that middle connector reaches anywhere but to the radio.

Thanks for your help..

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RB1 to the IPOD is the 'one plug too many' it is the same as shown above the 2nd and 3rd connectors left to right. This is a PITA. Am I the only one having problems with the search function?

Last edited:

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just double checked mine. The large connector is connected to my iPod controller, there is a smaller connecter that plugs into the controller and then that turns into a connection for the iPod itself.

Did your stock radio have an external cd-changer or sat perhaps? Are both of the connections on the right from the car itself?

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, the large connector and smaller connector from left to right are from the car to the original factory radio. The back of the RB1 supports four connections, one large nylon, one smaller nylon, the GPS ant connection and the FM ant connection.

I think I follow you. Both connections to the LEFT are from the car. The third connection on the RIGHT is from the iPOD controller. Stock radio was an in dash 6cd. thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So here is the other end of the third cable. It will only fit into the iPOD controller on this end.

IMG00004.jpg

After reading throught the multi-language directions again, it recommends a 10 pin (smaller size and two of three cables show in dash) extension for applications in some Jeep and Chrysler cars.

If this is true than the middle connection should run to the IPOD unit? The the IPOD would sport two connections from the head unit, not just the one? How did you guys make it reach to the glove capartment. It is factory wired up tight and shrouded in electrical tape. Way tough to get back in there.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The small connector from the Viper becomes "extra" after the IPOD install and dangles free not connected to anything.

PS - Did you remember to eject all of the CD's out of your old radio before taking it out? I obviously made this small oversight when I did the change out.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, ejected the CD's. So the center cable or the one from the car becomes useless.? Ok, I can work with this.

The large cable to the LEFT goes to the RB1, the middle cable is now to go unused and the IPOD connector runs to the smaller port on the RB1.

Dan from the Viper specialty just returned a call and walked me through the same as I was typing this. Great guy. Thanks for the help Dan!!!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
PS - a little help on the search function. If you type in just RB1 and hit search, you will return nothing as the search feature requires at least 4 characters. The fix - add an "*" - type RB1* as the asterisk acts as a wildcard for a successful search.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the search help. You would think that after more than 5 years on this site I might know that. Ok, off to the garage to finish the install. I'll document it for the how to guides on the site.

Thanks all for the help, including FINALGTS and The Wizard. I didn't spend a nickel with these guys and they both took the time to discuss with me via phone. Classy people and I'll be sure to funnel business to them both.

Well done VCA!

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The small connector from the Viper becomes "extra" after the IPOD install and dangles free not connected to anything.

PS - Did you remember to eject all of the CD's out of your old radio before taking it out? I obviously made this small oversight when I did the change out.

+1. Leave the small "extra" plug from the factory harness disconnected... and replace with the plug coming from your Ipod.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got it and working on it now. I remember a pic of where some folks mounted the GPS ant. Anyone can spot it off hand or have a recommendation. I'm trying behind the air ducts but again tough sledding in the tight spaces.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I mounted my nav antennae right below the air ducts. There is a little metal shelf right above the radio slot a little bit to the passenger side that made the perfect mounting spot. I added a little extra double sided tape to ensure it would stay there. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was the place. Will wait until the morning to test the signal. IPOD is working well. Little tricky learning curve on the interface. Thanks all for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302