Ready to purchase a Copperhead, need advice

spicoli25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

First wanted to let you know I might be a converting Corvette owner. I own a 2002 Corvette conv. and have just place an order for a Sunset Orange Metallic 2006 Z06. After I placed the order I test drove a 2005 Mamba Edition and was pretty excited. I loved the way the power in the Viper felt. The shifting was alot smoother than an 2005 Vette 6spd I drove. I still havent driven the 2006 Z06 becasue it is not out yet but damn the Viper felt good. I was thinking of selling my order for the Z06 but would like some insight from Viper owners. Please dont be to biased. Just some honest opinions would be great. Let me know some ups and downs that I should expect. I have been reading this board for the last couple days and have read some negatives and postives. I will be keeping the 2002 Vette for my wife as it is an automatic.
Some thoughts on the Viper after my test drive. It seemed to be lacking the room on the inside and my passenger said she was a bit uncomfortable. How is the heat inside the car from the side exhaust?

Thanks,

Jeff

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly? Buy the Copperhead if there are any left.They are only building 300 and most of them are gone already..... The corvettes are nice but the Viper has something unexplainable about it that made me buy it. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I don't even have hairs on the back of my neck. LOL :D

My Copperhead is warm in the cabin on long drives but apparently this is quickly fixed with aftermarket cats. You not only get a better grunt from your viper but you gain 15hp (depending on the exhaust you choose) and eliminate (dramatically) the heat within the cabin..

Face it, Vipers are realitively rare to see driving down the road, here in Colorado, I spot a corvette twice a day (atleast). Simply put, you won't regret the Viper purchase (raw horsepower and a pleasure to drive)..
:usa: :usa: :2tu: :2tu:

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of Members on this site that own a corvette and a Viper. SRT Ricky above me is just one of them. The Viper is bad ass indeed, however, that new C6 Z06 is going to be something to recken with. You will have to make the choice in the end.

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
See my previous posts as I was a former Z06 owner who was waiting for a DSOM 2006 Z06. I bought the copperhead Viper instead. I think the Viper is much less refined than the corvette and it is both a beast and a blast to drive. If you want attention the Viper crushes the vette.With the Vette every 2 weeks or so someone would say "nice car." In the viper every 2 minutes every "dude" in a NOS Neon will try to race you, 18 year old girls will again notice you, your hair will grow thicker, your muscles leaner and the gray will disappear. Almost all of that is true. Everyone just loves this car.

I preordered the copperhead for a test drive and as soon as my wife saw it she said "you must buy that car." Women really love the color but it is not a chick color. Guys like it as well .

Yes,the cabin heat is obnoxious. The heat spell here made 90° driving with top down and A/C on still a sweatbox.I'm having random tech cats and Corsa exhaust installed this week. This is supposed to be a cure. A $2,500 cure.

Also, Viper builders for some reason don't like to tighten or loctite certain critical bolts and place retaining clips on brake pedals -- See my post and others related to this.
On a track the new Z 06 will probably beat the SRT-10. On the road, the Viper's all around appeal beats the vette.

Good luck.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The exhaust and high flow cats can be done for quite a bit less. There are a couple of options, but we recommend the Corsa system, along with Random Tech. high flow cats, and that can be installed for around $1800 if I remember correctly.This includes the time to test drive, insure proper alignment, and check for loose fittings, rattles, etc.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Viper

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bill,
I bought my parts from JonB at partsrack. Exhaust 1295, RT cats 600 for 1895 plus shipping for parts alone. Install takes 6 to 8 hours with adjustments. $75 per hour. Are we talking the same equipment? Can you really get your parts that much cheaper than partsrack? Is your install really that inexpensive?

OP
OP
S

spicoli25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,
You are not making the issue to tough. Doesn't seem like much sense to spend $80,000 on a Viper then have to install an exhaust system to make it less hot inside. Why would the factory not resolve the issue during build. Is it true that the 2005 Viper have relieved the inside cabin heat issues?

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, it's not resolved. It is hot as hell inside if it above 80 outside.

The exclusivity is the draw. Rarely did anyone notice my ZO6 vs a regular vette except for the diehard vette fans.

EVERYONE notices the viper (that's good or bad depending on what you want). If I drive a little aggresively, I hear it from 2 or 3 people at work. (How they see me all the time I do not know.)

Go for it. You won't regret it.

Sleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff S.,

If you end up getting the Z06, you will have a great car that is a little more exclusive than some acknowledge, and the color is awesome. I do think the Copperhead color is going to get more rave reviews, but you already seem to appreciate that. My exhaust issue was solved for less than $1,300, but that was with my labor.

If you like the Viper, you need to be aware that with a couple of minor and common modifications, it will dominate the new Z06 in performance. May sound cliche, but the Viper is in a different category than the Corvette. If you are lucky (and make the right decision) you will find this out for yourself. Either way, good luck!

TD

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heck do not worry about the heat because it will be hot with the top down with any convertible,I have a t Bird and a corvette coupe along with the viper and when it is 90 plus heck I cannot drive anyone of them with the top down..

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the top up and air on, there is no problem. I drop the top in the morning and evening when the weather is cooler during the summer months or when I am going for a leisurely cruise. Top up on long rides where I may hit traffic or when I want to stay cool and confortable. My air freezes me if I leave it on max.

While my Viper is going in soon for the Corsa exhaust to minimize the heat, I dont think the heat is that big of an issue. One decision to make each time I drive, stay cool with the top up or "be" cool we the top down.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We , surprisingly have few complaints about heat, but like any car with side exhausts on a hot day, heat rises and since it is right by the door , you will get some heat issues in traffic.

Surprisingly , we do most of the exhaust systems for some rumble, and there are two Random Tech systems. We normally do not use the higher priced ones if it is for just mainly a sound improvement. Those are more suited, in our estimation, for motors putting out more HP ( 600 and above ).

Seven to eight hours is simply too long if you do these very often. We charge 4 hours, so that has alot to do with it.

viking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a paid order on a new vette last year but they never got around to building any convertibles except black ragtops. I had to have a convertible and the Z06 is not and may not ever be a convertible. That was the decision maker for me. 100mph feels alot faster in a 'vert and the viper's exclusivity was an unanticipated bonus. Dodge had cahonas to put this much power in a convertible. Even here where there are rare sportscars everywhere I haven't seen a viper yet except unfortunately on one dealer's lot. The dodge's cabin is small but after lowering the seat 2 inches my 6'4" frame is fine. I only feel the heat when stopped for a long light with the top down. With the top up this car has great a/c! It is far better than my benz sedan which have a good rep for a/c when working. Having had 2 vettes before, the big difference is the torque and off the line performance.