Really ROUGH idle - almost stalls

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I went to get my morning bacon, egg and cheese on a kaiser I was very alarmed when I started my car (both going and coming from the store.) When I started it both times it was a VERY, VERY rough idle. It was so rough that I really thought it was going to stall. It seemed to idle fine at the "end" of each direction but what was up the start? Any guys out there that would know a possible cause?:dunno:

Last edited:

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar situation several months ago and my Viper tech suggested cleaning the fuel intake system. It was a 3 part procedure, took about an hour, and cost about $125.

It worked........

Don

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J, did ya figure this out?

My car was running a little rough, not stalling or anything, just didn't feel right.
Took it to dealer for oil change and asked them if they could give it look over for the roughness.
They found my ECM was bad, everytime the car was turned off, the ECM erased or didn't hold any data, so everytime you started it, it was as if the car was started the very first time off the assembly line, "key turns 0", so it was never learning / tuning itself etc. They replaced the ECM free, they wrote it up as an emissions issue since the car couldn't pass emissions with zero key turns & no OBD data onboard. Now it runs smooth as silk like a rocket.
So it could be worth having the dealer run a diagnostic, etc.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Here's another one to try. I had a similar problem with my 06 coupe. I could not get the car to "fast idle" when cold. Power was down too.

Check the idle air control motor. After I had mine replaced under warranty, the car runs great.

Good luck,

Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery