Rear axle fluid.

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid question. I asked my local dealer to change all of the fluids in my car including the transmission and differential. I was just told that differential was not serviceable. Is that true? You cannot change whatever is in there?

Thanks
Roy

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The can "****" the diff fluid out of the fill hole, since there is no drain hole. It is serviceable, it just ain't a "no brainer"
You must be registered for see images

Peter A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the rear end fluid and friction modifier at the local Dodge dealer. Very expensive. Changing it required a turkey baster some plastic tubing and a drain pan. Start the flow using the suction of the turkey baster and the fluid will siphon into the pan. The replacement fluids came in plastic bottles with tops similar to what is used in a caulking gun so I just squeezed it in. A messy job but one I take curious pleasure in accomplishing.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Roy, buddy ! Don't walk, but RUN to a new dealer !

For those of you who find it inconvenient to deal with those who do NOT know Vipers, and give out bogus advice, please E-me or call me. Get the right answers, fast, and parts at discount prices, shipped to your door. Even with shipping included, and NO SALES TAX on our products, even small orders like fluid can make sense.... EXAMPLE 1 :

We just shipped a full fluid and anti-lok additive package to a customer for $42 delivered.. he made 1 call, got the correct fluids and refill specs, and he stayed home. shipped same day.

EXAMPLE 2: HRE wheels from many local vendors have sales tax. Our California customer just claims he saved HUNDREDS on our HRE wheels, and hundreds more on the tax we saved him.

Since I am usually on the computer 730am - 530pm Pacific, E-ME or call !

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No tax is reason enough for me. I'd rather give my money to private industry than to the government.

BTW JonB, looking forward to getting that wing.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had one dealer here in Denver tell me to use the 90 wt. 4874468 Mopar fluid for $6.60/qt. and the friction modifier 4318060AB at $11.25 per 4 oz tube. JonB has confirmed that this is <u>not</u> correct. The correct fluid is a 75/140 wt. fluid 4874469 which should not cost more than $16/qt. The friction modifier is correct and should not cost more than $9 per 4 oz tube. You will need 1 1/3 qts of fluid and 1 tube of modifier. JonB at Parts Rack should have the best price for this fluid. While you are doing this, you may want to drill and tap the case for a drain plug. I have received the correct location and size from Dana and will post a procedure as soon as I have done mine.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks, Jerry......I actually learned a few technical things from this exercise with you, and even made 2 sales off this discussion !

Thanks all........no sale too small !!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Rear diff heat is a 'watch' item for Vipers....esp those that have swapped to 3.54 or especially 3.73 gears. heat degrades the oil, not the additive.

I think the service schedulke is 25000 miles on drain/fill, but track events that cause extreme service shoudl require refills much sooner......

JonB

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The severe maintenance schedule says every 9k miles. In Florida you can drive it all year. It's up to you, I do mine every 10k. I use a vacuum brake bleeder available from mac tools. Works great. Doesn't get out 100% but I'm sure it's more than a kitchen appliance could do!dj

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
Instead of messing around with turkey basters or a slow vacuum
bleeder why not just purchase a suction gun for around 10 bucks. They are avaliable at most auto parts stores and that is what they are used for. Much quicker.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, suction guns are faster, but the diameter of the hose does not get to the bottom of the diff. housing. My vac. tool is 1/4 line with a pointed piece on the end. I can almost get all the fluid out. Time is not an issue because I just hook it up and let it run by itself while I do the rest of the service to the vehicle. I guess the pump is quicker because I can do 2 things at once. I use the suction gun to fill. dj

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three comments,

1) Suctions guns can be had with smaller hoses
, they work well, but the problem is most people do not keep them CLEAN.... ie. the hose is oily after use and often left unplugged while in storage, so it collects dust inside and out between uses... first thing you do is put the dust in your dif if you don't clean it properly before use.

2) Use the fluid viscosity Dodge recs with the friction modifier, the Viper has a limited slip differential and it will not work right with the incorrect fluid. I tried the Red Line Lube of the correct viscosity in my early RT and loved it. I think it was an 80-140 which already has the friction modifier in it. The Parts Rack should check this stuff out (maybe carry it
)..... it is very nice.

3) Early RT's have an oil drain plug! (disappeared in '93/'94) If you are putting different gears in your rear, you may actually notice a boss in the rear end cover that could be drilled and tapped for a drain plug. Nice thing about that, is you could put a magnetic plug in too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery