Rear Bumper Damage

RawPwr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just backed my 2006 SRT-10 Coupe into a truck. :( I was going really slow and just tapped the bumper of a Yukon. It caused a split (about 2") on the face of the rear bumper right below the word VIPER (right side) and a bigger split (about 4") on the top of the bumper above the word Viper. Looking for advice on repairs. Can the fiberglass bumper be repaired or am I better off replacing the whole ass end (looks like one part) Any suggestions?? :dunno: I'm in the Los Angeles, area does anyone know a reputable body shop they would trust their viper to? Thanks in advance for any info / suggestions.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just backed my 2006 SRT-10 Coupe into a truck. :( I was going really slow and just tapped the bumper of a Yukon. It caused a split (about 2") on the face of the rear bumper right below the word VIPER (right side) and a bigger split (about 4") on the top of the bumper above the word Viper. Looking for advice on repairs. Can the fiberglass bumper be repaired or am I better off replacing the whole ass end (looks like one part) Any suggestions?? :dunno: I'm in the Los Angeles, area does anyone know a reputable body shop they would trust their viper to? Thanks in advance for any info / suggestions.
can you post a pic to see how bad it is?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The repair manual has a large section on body panel repair. But understand it's NOT fiberglass. Also, do you know if the support under the facia was damaged?

I guess there are three options

1. Try to have the part repaired
2. Replace it with a part from a salvage place
3. Replace it with an original manufacture part.

Option 3 is what we would love to do, but undoubtedly the most expensive. If it was my car I would probably prefer option 2 to option 1.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As already said the bumper is plastic. As you may have figured out it is a very big piece that includes the tail light surounds. It's expensive and very hard to fine a used one for a coupe (convertibles are plentiful). Hopefully you can just repair, vs. replace.

A good shop in the LA are is: Scandinavian Coachcraft SCANDINAVIAN COACHCRAFT Auto Body Repair West Los Angeles, Santa Monica - About Us<meta name="keywords" content="Quality Auto Body Shop, Excellent Reputation, serving Santa monica area, autobody shop santa monica ca ,autobody shop Venice ca, autobody

Their near the interesection of I-10 and the 405. The owner used to work with Dan Cragin from DC when they all worked at Santa Monica Dodge.

Good luck, join the SCA viper club. Mike

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the plastic is urethane, not that it matters. In an area that is mainly cosmetic and not structural, it can probably be repaired. I think it has to be done from the inside though, so removal may be required. You might want to have a looksie at the foam filler behind it anyway.

Pretty sad that just tapping the bumper resulted in such damage. But hey, at least the air bags didn't deploy LOL. That would double your expense!

OP
OP
R

RawPwr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys. 1st step in my journey is gathering info (I feel dumb that I called the bumper fiberglass :confused:). Tailwag I will post a pic later today. RedTan thanks for the body shop info. Slysnake, Hamrhead great info. Dave6666 amen on the air bags :headbang:. It's awesome to be able to come here to the Viper Club and be treated like family. Thanks all for the advice, it is much appreciated. :2tu:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Jon B. He has original body parts already painted by the factory. You might get lucky and get a completely original from him.

Hey guys. 1st step in my journey is gathering info (I feel dumb that I called the bumper fiberglass :confused:). Tailwag I will post a pic later today. RedTan thanks for the body shop info. Slysnake, Hamrhead great info. Dave6666 amen on the air bags :headbang:. It's awesome to be able to come here to the Viper Club and be treated like family. Thanks all for the advice, it is much appreciated. :2tu:

deadman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe the plastic is urethane, not that it matters.

Dave pointed very important fact. It actually matters because it determines the glue or filling material. Due to some unfortunate events I do have some experience with gluing broken viper parts together so here is the deal:

Find a US vendor of Flenco Group S.p.A.. The glue you want is QuickGel P 20.22. This is the one for polyurethan flexible parts. There is another one (I believe 20.20) which is used for hard fillings but you want 20.22.

I glued together front bumper broken into 14 pieces (pretty much spiderweb), front fender broken into two pieces, rear bumper with filling - that thing just work. The cost? About $100 for the kit in Europe. Plus paint. Saved quite a few thousands dollars for new parts.

When repairing broken parts stick them together using some fast 20second glue first, then rabbet V shaped using the dremmel tool and fill the V with QuickGel. Do the same on both sides.

The QuickGel bonds like a rock and if the part should break again it's not going to be on the same spot, that's pretty much guaranteed.

Good luck to anyone in 'unfortunate' situation.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked - front bumper costs around $980.00 from some online vendors...not that expensive, really. A repair only, by a qualified shop, would be in the neighborhood of $500 I'm guessing...and if it's simply a split, it can be repaired. Either way, you'd need to repaint the entire fascia. The parts do not come painted from Dodge in any case.

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked - front bumper costs around $980.00 from some online vendors...not that expensive, really. A repair only, by a qualified shop, would be in the neighborhood of $500 I'm guessing...and if it's simply a split, it can be repaired. Either way, you'd need to repaint the entire fascia. The parts do not come painted from Dodge in any case.

How much, would you guess, to convert a front bumper to a rear bumper? - in your expert opinion, of course. :rolaugh:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As was pointed out earlier, Partsrack probably has painted ones. Not a bad place to start with a price check at least.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave pointed very important fact. It actually matters because it determines the glue or filling material. Due to some unfortunate events I do have some experience with gluing broken viper parts together so here is the deal:

Find a US vendor of Flenco Group S.p.A.. The glue you want is QuickGel P 20.22. This is the one for polyurethan flexible parts. There is another one (I believe 20.20) which is used for hard fillings but you want 20.22.

I glued together front bumper broken into 14 pieces (pretty much spiderweb), front fender broken into two pieces, rear bumper with filling - that thing just work. The cost? About $100 for the kit in Europe. Plus paint. Saved quite a few thousands dollars for new parts.

When repairing broken parts stick them together using some fast 20second glue first, then rabbet V shaped using the dremmel tool and fill the V with QuickGel. Do the same on both sides.

The QuickGel bonds like a rock and if the part should break again it's not going to be on the same spot, that's pretty much guaranteed.

Good luck to anyone in 'unfortunate' situation.
As Dave and Deadman point out the material is important because the paint will blister if the filling is not correct. Do tell your body shop mechanic that the Viper bumper is frickin plastic. :rolleyes::lmao: And it will as good as new when fixed.

OP
OP
R

RawPwr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks sooooo much. I will start with Jon B from Parts Rack, then talk to a body shop, and finally check out the Quickgel fix. Great information. I'll let you guys know how I make out!!!!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks sooooo much. I will start with Jon B from Parts Rack, then talk to a body shop, and finally check out the Quickgel fix. Great information. I'll let you guys know how I make out!!!!!!

EZ-Fix, but I have a brand new rear bumper in stock, MSRP Dodge $1332. PartsRack under $600!

Thank You Hamr, Nader etc for the referrals. I am greatly grateful...