Rear end skips

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my 2005 vert out a few times this past month since its warming up here in Reno. What Im noticing is when I first start to move and take a sharp turn shortly after first moving Im feeling like one of the back tires may skip. Almost like the posi is sticking or something.

Is this normal for a cold rear? I dont feel this skip after I drive for awhile and take a sharp turn.

Thanks....
Rich

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very possible it's the cold tires skipping.
When I take mine out and it's still cold (cold ground, cold tires) I'll definitely feel the tires "skipping" when turning sharply (especially on a concrete driveway). After getting some heat in them, it goes away.

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is with PS2's. My Super Sports and new CalChrome "H" Spoke wheels will be on in a few weeks....Thanks!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. I've avoided it by pushing in the clutch to remove applied torque to the diff.,then coast around the corner. I have a sharp U-turn to make after I pull out of my driveway (live on a divided one way street). I never have the symptom unless I forget to 'clutch in around the corner' ---and again, only on the first sharp turn when cold.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does it as well, and if it makes you feel any better, I've driven Grand Sport and ZO6 Corvettes that did the exact same thing.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be time to change the rear end gear oil and add a new bottle of Mopar friction modifier. Rear end fluid should be changed in the first 7500 miles and every 12,500 miles thereafter, according to DC Performance. A sticky limited slip will behave as you described on sharp turns.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, +2 on changing the fluid. Just did my '05 and was thoroughly disgusted by what came out of there... :)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Herb mentioned this in the latest Viper magazine. He discussed the difference between the Gen III and IV ViscoLocks and mentioned that this could be the result.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change the fluid regardless of symptom or not. Just good maintenance on these cars. Think about the torque that goes through that diff. -unless you don't drive like the rest of us:) -I change both trans and diff. fluids about every six track days. -a stitch in time.............

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave