Rear Gears

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about changing my SRT10 rear to 3.42. Anyone have any experience with this? How did it change the car- for good or bad? What are the top speeds in 1st, 2nd and 3rd?
Thanks, Jim

OP
OP
V

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought 3.42 were a DC gear but I will take advise on any of the ratios you listed. Most of my automotive knowledge comes from owning Chevys so I'm not used to the DC gear ratios yet.
To answer your question, I live in Gaithersburg, Md

Thanks

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a calculator, not my favorite, but it will work.

http://www.kabamus.com/garage/gears.html

Gear ratios in the late model cars are as follows:

I have 3.55s and am quite pleased. BTW, I'm in Laplata, worked on Washingtonian Blvd in Gaithersburg for a number of years.

Good Luck.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was thinking about changing my SRT10 rear to 3.42. Anyone have any experience with this? How did it change the car- for good or bad? What are the top speeds in 1st, 2nd and 3rd?
Thanks, Jim

sent PM

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Rear Gears 3:73

I put in 3:73 gears in my 04 and wow what a difference. A rocket ship with gears. Fun to drive and really easy in traffic. I thought about 3:55 for another option gear but, haven't tried them yet. A marked improvement over the stock 3:07's

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you explain what the difference is between the 3.07 and the 3.55 gears? What does the 3.55 do for you? Allows you to stay in a gear longer? More power?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you explain what the difference is between the 3.07 and the 3.55 gears? What does the 3.55 do for you? Allows you to stay in a gear longer? More power?
The opposite. You would shift much sooner than with the tall stock gear. Gives the car more grunt out of the hole and makes driving 0 mph in parking garages MUCH nicer.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you guys purchase your gears?

I bought a set of 4.56's from Unitrax to replace the 4.10's in my SRT Ram a couple of years ago.

Does Mopar sell them?

I was thinking about getting the dealer to install a set in my '06 Coupe, so (hopefully) it won't be a warranty issue.:dunno:

grnsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't waste time and money doing gears - you aleady have enough torque to shred your tires in 1st and 2nd. Save your money and do a Roe or Paxton blower, there is no substitue for power. Skip this beginner step, it will pay for tires and half shafts later on.

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3.33 is the perfect gear for the Viper. It is also the only gear DLM will recommend using. I have tried it on a Paxton 650 rwhp set-up and then upgraded to 850 rwhp. The gear was to much for the additional power. I had to switch back to the 3.07 then. I have another friend who switched from 3.55 to a 3.33 after talking to Doug Levins and could not be happier with the switch.

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had 3.45s and 3.33s in my '97 GTS (580rwhp). I loved them both- especially at the track. I would upgrade to a Quaife at the same time when the dif is out. I still have the 3.45s if anyone wants them...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just add power.

Gears can be problematic with the Hydra Lok diff.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 01 GTS few mods, headers, exhaust, heads P&P, and intake extrude honed. I was considering a set of 3.55's. My car is not a top speed car, it's more of a blast around town, track strip everynow and then car. Any have a experience with 3.55's to share?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3.33 is the perfect gear for the Viper. It is also the only gear DLM will recommend using. I have tried it on a Paxton 650 rwhp set-up and then upgraded to 850 rwhp. The gear was to much for the additional power. I had to switch back to the 3.07 then. I have another friend who switched from 3.55 to a 3.33 after talking to Doug Levins and could not be happier with the switch.

3.33 gears work well for a 19" rear tire, but if you are 18" that gear isn't quite as ideal.

a 3.55 on a GEN II is like a 3.73 on a GEN III .

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Swapping gears is, by far, the NUMBER ONE BANG 4 BUCK performance upgrade you can choose. SAVE YOUR MONEY on a supercharger and buy GEARS instead! If you want to shred tires (like a SC can do) then spend just 10% of a SC cost and choose a 3.73 gear instead. Unlike a SC, the car slows faster, too. Unlike a SC, the trans now has SIX daily-driver gears. Unlike a SC, you wont be fighting ignition or octane concerns down the road. You wont be able to hit 185 mph but you can get to 140 about as fast.

But CHOOSE A 3:55 for manageable wheelspin, cooler trans, cooler diff, and 165 mph, and 6-speed functionality.

If you have or plan HP upgrades above 600 or so, choose 3:33. Some say 3:45, but the metalurgy is not as strong at handling torque. PS I agree w/ Joseph... 355 in a Gen 3 feels like a 373 Gen 2, or a 411 gen 1. 355 is pretty much all-around-ideal, and dont choose a gear for the 1300 - 1320' mark of a drag strip if you dont plan to win $$ there most weekends. Gear you car for 95% of your driving, not 5%.

[ PartsRack has them ALL, at the best prices too. Thanks ]

Last edited:

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another calculator:

http://www.xse.com/leres/bin/gearra...e=diameter&diameter=25.91&circumference=81.40

I had 3.33's installed last fall. Definitely a different feel to the car. The recommended 300 mile break in without getting into it about drove me insane, but I did it. Definitely keeps you in the power band more on the street, although you also shift more. One of these weekends I need to get out my G-Tech to do the "after" test.

3.33's w/ an 18" tire allow 138 mph in 4th gear. That should allow most modded cars to complete the 1/4 mile in 4th gear. BTW, do the half shafts at the same time.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlike a SC, the trans now has SIX daily-driver gears. . . .[ PartsRack has them ALL, at the best prices too. Thanks ]

Let me add that in addition to shorter rear end gearing (I have 3:55) if you ever have your transmission apart for any reason take the time and spend the money to have shorter 5th and 6th gears installed. I have an 0.80:1 5th and 0.64:1 6th and they make for nice even steps through every gear from 1st to 6th. AND top end is now in 6th where it shuld be instead of 5th (redline in 6th in my car would be 200 mph so real V max should be right in the heart of the powerband). I can even use 5th around town once in awhile if I want to calm the car down.

Last edited:

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me add that in addition to shorter rear end gearing (I have 3:55) if you ever have your transmission apart for any reason take the time and spend the money to have shorter 5th and 6th gears installed. I have an 0.80:1 5th and 0.64:1 6th and they make for nice even steps through every gear from 1st to 6th. AND top end is now in 6th where it shuld be instead of 5th (redline in 6th in my car would be 200 mph so real V max should be right in the heart of the powerband). I can even use 5th around town once in awhile if I want to calm the car down.

Great comment PhoenixGTS! :2tu:

I am very interested in doing this myself.

What was the cost for the 5 & 6 gear mod?

Did you track the car with the 3.55 diff and modified transmission?

I bet that the car is a whole lot livelier through the gears, but aren't you "rowing" through the gears like a madman now that they are so much closer, specially 4th through 6th gear on a fast track?

Did you by any chance take acceleration measurements 0-100, 0-150 mph before and after the trans & diff mods?

Also, do you have a lightweight flywheel/clutch combo to go with your great set-up?

Vypr Phil :)

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

>> $1,000 extra over normal rebuild

>> I don't track it because I cannot afford to break it. It is a street fighter car.

I bet that the car is a whole lot livelier through the gears, but aren't you "rowing" through the gears like a madman now that they are so much closer, specially 4th through 6th gear on a fast track?

>> On the street yes I am a gear rower - but it is faster as a result of coming out of the hole so much harder and being able to put the car in the powerband more consistently. What I really want to do is one of these standing mile races. The car is set up perfectly for that and it would not be as ******* the car as drag racing or track events.

Did you by any chance take acceleration measurements 0-100, 0-150 mph before and after the trans & diff mods?

>> Data would be tainted as I went to sticky tires at the same time. Seat of the pants, I honestly have to say there is no question 3.55s and Kumhos knocked close to a second of the 0-60 time in the real world.

Also, do you have a lightweight flywheel/clutch combo to go with your great set-up?

>> Stock clutch and flywheel.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just received my 3.55's from Unitrax yesterday! Can't wait to get them installed.:headbang:
(Though the recommended break-in will probably take me a month or so:dunno: )

FSTENUF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have 355 gears in my gen 2 and for driving around the north east you get more fun out of all 6 gears. and out of the hole is great.:headbang:

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

>> $1,000 extra over normal rebuild

>> I don't track it because I cannot afford to break it. It is a street fighter car.

>> On the street yes I am a gear rower - but it is faster as a result of coming out of the hole so much harder and being able to put the car in the powerband more consistently. What I really want to do is one of these standing mile races. The car is set up perfectly for that and it would not be as ******* the car as drag racing or track events.

>> Data would be tainted as I went to sticky tires at the same time. Seat of the pants, I honestly have to say there is no question 3.55s and Kumhos knocked close to a second of the 0-60 time in the real world.

>> Stock clutch and flywheel.

Thanks for your answers PhoenixGTS :2tu:

The added cost for trans gear change sounds quite reasonable.

I can understand your "financial fear factor" regarding tracking the car. One comment however: in a controlled environment and in the company of civilized folks of equal driving skill levels such as "Viper Days" you can absolutely have a great track time, learn a lot and probably be much safer than if you drove at those speeds on the road. If you have not done Viper Days, you should seriously consider it; I did it, had the time of my life and made some great friends in the process; most definitely a positive experience and in my opinion a "must" for every serious Viper owner.

Agree on the standing mile event, you would do extremely well! I believe that with your trans & diff ratios you should pull somewhere in the vicinity of 175 to 180 mph (assuming your engine is near stock output) at the end of an aggressive 1-mile run.

Good luck on this if and when you do it and please let us know how it went. Are there any tracks and events in your area where 1-mile races take place?

Cutting 0-60 time by nearly 1 second is very impressive although I understand that exhilaration and "seat of the pants meter" can often lead to generously optimistic assessments of improved performance. Which is why I like to actually gather and dissect data, but then again, this is what engineers like to do.

Vypr Phil :)

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my 3.55's installed today and have about ~60 miles on them already!

Obviously I haven't pushed it yet, but so far I do like them! Now I can use 6th gear at 60mph and it pulls right along. 70mph is right about ~1,500rpm in 6th. Also, moving out from a stop is much easier (not that it was ever difficult).

Unitrax recommends a 300 mile break-in, so hopefully the weather will be nice this weekend! Though it does take some serious self-control to not 'play' in this damn car!:rolaugh:

I'll check back in another 240 miles or so.:2tu:

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had my 3.55's installed today and have about ~60 miles on them already!

Obviously I haven't pushed it yet, but so far I do like them! Now I can use 6th gear at 60mph and it pulls right along. 70mph is right about ~1,500rpm in 6th. Also, moving out from a stop is much easier (not that it was ever difficult).

Unitrax recommends a 300 mile break-in, so hopefully the weather will be nice this weekend! Though it does take some serious self-control to not 'play' in this damn car!:rolaugh:

I'll check back in another 240 miles or so.:2tu:

Mike, I am getting ready to get mine installed - did you get your speedo recalibrated too? I mean, if it's off by 5-8mph or so I can live with it. I rarely look at the speedo anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets