Rear Gears

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no you are in them less time. you have to shift more often.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well supported thread, with good information.

My experience.

SRTs have pretty tall 3:07 gears. They are the strongest, run quiet, and come free with the car.

Stock gears are the best, smoothest and usually fastest on longer road courses. Not so much shifting, and good long dig out of the corners. These long gears are good to take a set on long corners, and you will not find yourself shifting in corners quite as much. For downshifts they do not seem to upset the car as much as the shorter gears.

For street driving the agressiveness and balance of the 3:55, polished and cryo treated seems to be the most popular choice. Easy to skip a gear if you feel you are shifting too much, and 5th and 6th standard gears are much more pleasurable to use. As Jon says, be careful of your source, and make sure you get the good stuff.

This gear makes driving in stop and go traffic much more enjoyable. Always seems to have the right gear available and much less lugging around. Throttle seems to have much more snap, and the car comes alive with this setup.

Reports are that the rear ends tend to go out a little more often after changing gears, especially if you have more than stock hp.

For higher HP cars, the 3:07 once again becomes the rear of choice, unless you really enjoy the Banzai! skittering feeling when you mash the throttle. (I kind of liked this myself):drive:

Biggest deal with the shorter gears is that the car just feels faster. Zips through the gears with zing, and tends to push the tires to their limits, and sometimes beyond.

I've had 2 geared Vipers. Most fun you can have with a stock Viper, but as you add more HP the stock gears become just right.:2tu:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd assume it's new but it doesn't specify? Check w/JonB and Unitrax for their prices. One thing to note, the gears are farily inexpensive, the labor will be double, and you want to find someone who knows their stuff for the install.. I bought a unitrax complete kit (ring/pinion, shims, etc) from somone for about $300.00 which was a good deal. Mark @ Woodhouse charged me $650.00 for the install, lot's of labor in this process. Before you buy, check around, some folks like DC will sell a complete rear end w/housing etc. for $1,000.00 that's not a bad way to go and you keep your stock set up.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes,they are new OEM parts.there is a guy i know here that can do the install for 300.00.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Where did you guys purchase your gears?

PARTSRACK PLEASE ! Fact is, we have provided over 200 gearsets to Unitrax over the years, and they to us even more. When you buy thru PartsRack, you get Unitrax add-ons like cryo and polish and rebuild parts, but PAY LESS THRU PARTSRACK. YOU, Uni and PartsRack win, and YOU PAY LESS. (and CA guys like VENM would also save SALES TAX !!!}

Thanks. We stock 3:07 3:33, 3:45, 3:55, and 3:73. If you send me an Email Ill send you a reprint of "Got Gears?" that we wrote for VCA notes a while back,.

BEST bang 4 Buck acceleration mod, bar none.....and you even slow down faster !

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Jon...pm me a price on a complete 3:55 setup like the one i found on stinkbay.:2tu: I will buy from you before them.:headbang:

Flyin' Low

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have G-force 5th and 6th gears in .86 and .70 ratios, stock rear gears. I'm very happy with it, makes 6th useable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper