Rear shock fork removal help needed

scuderia47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm swapping out the original shocks on my '99 and need to take off the lower rear shock forks. I've got the shock assembly out of the car with the spring compressed, but as I unscrew the fork the inner shock twists too and I can't figure out how to immobilize the inner shock. Any tips on how to get these forks off?

Thank you in advance!
Bill

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look up the throtl Hellcat Viper swap video number 4 on youtube...I know it's a little sacrilegious...but 5:30 into the video he tackles the part of the suspension you are messing with. He basically had to weld a pipe to the shock body. Normally you can lock the forks in a vice and take a pipe wrench to the shock body, but sometimes they are really on there.

OP
OP
S

scuderia47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look up the throtl Hellcat Viper swap video number 4 on youtube...I know it's a little sacrilegious...but 5:30 into the video he tackles the part of the suspension you are messing with. He basically had to weld a pipe to the shock body. Normally you can lock the forks in a vice and take a pipe wrench to the shock body, but sometimes they are really on there.
Thanks for the help and reference! Hope I don't have to weld a pipe to get it off...

Btw my viper is almost identical to yours...silver 99 GTS no stripe, but I have stock wheels. Thanks again

Bill

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm swapping out the original shocks on my '99 and need to take off the lower rear shock forks. I've got the shock assembly out of the car with the spring compressed, but as I unscrew the fork the inner shock twists too and I can't figure out how to immobilize the inner shock. Any tips on how to get these forks off?

Thank you in advance!
Bill
Put a large pipe wrench on the shock body and then put about a 3 foot long pipe on the pipe wrench total about 6 feet and it will come off then take a nap

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets