Rear window seal project

Ag's'95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought 75' for about $45.00 to my door. I purchased it through a friend in the glass business who purchased it from the following company crlaurence.com. It is their Cat. No. ET107B (you can search their site by that). I have not completed my window yet. I am still working on cleaning off the remnants of the old seal and tinting it. However, I did put the new seal into place to see how it was going to work prior to ever mentioning it on this site. It goes around the corners very nicely w/o distortion of the rubber. I will post pics as soon as I finish my window. I obviously have extra and have already talked with several guys about getting them some of it.

-John

Ag's'95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone had said 10' . . . that is the number I am estimating and is the length of seal that I am sending to a couple of guys on the forum.

-John

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Rear window seal project
#612748 - 11/14/05 10:12 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Re: Rear window seal project
#612790 - 11/15/05 01:01 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well me being half Jewish, half Scottish, and half Irish, I set about trying to find another solution.

Dude, go away.

--------------------
01 GTS and soooooooooooo pretty!
99 Viper (Tubes&filters, Full TNT exhaust, T&D's and other goodies) Macedo Tuned!!!!
65 Buick Wildcat (Dual quad, custom built headers, 3000 RPM stall converter, and 410 posi)

Well me being half Jewish, half Scottish, and half Irish, I set about trying to find another solution.

Re: Rear window seal project
#613107 - 11/15/05 06:11 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------

Larry,
I see you are in Real Estate.
Is your sense of humour in Escrow?

--------------------

But mama, that's where the fun is....
1996 RT10
2001 RT10
To few mods to mention

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Sometimes things are said by people who really don't have a prejudiced bone in their body. Gosh, I have been known to say some things that may be offensive to others when I didn't really mean to. If you recall, my reply was "BITE ME BIGOT" and apparently the powers to be removed that line from this thread and only that line. They histerically left in the rest of my post and the complete, unedited, thoughtful and hilarious responses a few of you directed to me. It may have even appeared I was trying to perpetuate the unfortunate phrase that was used. I have seldom experienced any kind of bigotry and prejudice in my life, so I printed it out to memorialize my response and filed it with the Viper stuff I usually keep for reference. I actually thought my reply was funny and agressive in the way guys do when they banter and semi-serious only to the point of possibly pointing out even in a cyberspace community like this, there are some things that, in my opinion, should be off limits. I don't like censorship and believe in free speech as much as the next guy. I mean we are supposed to be celebrating an automobile and its uniqueness among all others and this isn't the alley or a forum that tolerates certain types of behavior, or so I've read here a few times from some of the VCA officials. I stupidly thought no one would respond, most would ignore my response and the thread would go on with the excellent discussion most of it did realizing that maybe from this point on, that phrase shouldn't be used.

However, I keep listening and learning from you guys and need to adjust my attitude if I am going to attempt to be part of this community, whether you want me or not. I can't help coming here, most of the posts (including the subject matter of this one and the responses to it) are extremely informative and interesting. I happily have this clique of one (me) that truly enjoys that Viper of mine and will probably purchase a GTS in the future before a Gen IV arrives if one does.

So there I was realizing my thin skinned, too serious, tool self (not sure what the you are a tool phrase means) needed to get back that sense of humor and life that was in escrow; I paid the fees due and got it back.

I have a lifelong college buddy that works with the JDL and, I can't keep from smiling and laughing, anyway I brought this thread to his attention.

I believe he also thought it pretty funny because he said will let me know all the funny things he is contemplating.

Thank you ever so much for bringing to my attention what a thin skinned, too serious, tool I am. I am really trying to change so I can fit in. How am I doing? :2tu: :usa: :headbang: :) :laugh: ;)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should be receiving my seal from John in a couple days. I'll post pics of my window once I get the new seal on. I'll also post any tricks or shortcuts I find out while removing the old seal or putting the new seal on

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ag's'95

Do you have anymore of that rear window seal you can sell me, if not is there a link you can give me to purchase the seal.

Thanks

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did my window this weekend. The hardest part by far was getting the new seal on. I used 3M Super Weather Strip adhesive and made a huge mess but once it was all cleaned up it looks better than before. I will try and get some pictures uploaded tonight.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John was nice enough to sell me some of his extra seal. The fit is very close as you can see. The biggest difference is the area that seals around the glass itself is shorter on the replacement. The lip is also a little longer on the replacement.
I found that the best way to remove the old seal was to take a strait edge razor and slide it along the glass and under the rubber to break the seal. I would do this on both sides for about a couple feet at a time and then pull the strip off. I then used the razor to scrape off any residue.
When it came time to attach the new seal I used 3m Super Weather Strip Adhesive. The biggest problem was that because the part the slips over the glass is not as deep the corners wanted to come loose. This was extremely messy and I would think that there is a better adhesive for this purpose.
When the 3M adhesive dried I tried to clean it up with a razor but it was hard to get all of the glue off. Overall it looks much better. The seal was very tight and it was hard to get the window to clip into place. Because the seal was bad when I got the car I don’t know if this is normal. The only area that doesn’t appear to be sealed perfect are the lower corners where it looks like there is a small gap. This might something that could get fixed.

9592001_old_vs_new-med.JPG

9592002_old_vs_new-med.JPG

9592003_old_vs_new-med.JPG

9592004_removal-med.JPG

9592005_new-med.JPG

9592006_new-med.JPG

9592007_on_car-med.JPG

9592008_on_car-med.JPG

9592009_on_car-med.JPG

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John was nice enough to sell me some of his extra seal. The fit is very close as you can see. The biggest difference is the area that seals around the glass itself is shorter on the replacement. The lip is also a little longer on the replacement.

I assume by lip, you mean the material that extends beyond what seals around the glass itself? There isn't much of anything of that sort on my stock one, but this is fairly long, which seems good to provide a more solid seal once in place, provided it isn't too much to prevent the window from fitting into place...

Ag's'95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, the channel that the window fits into is not quite as deep as the original. Like they did from the factory you need to use an adhesive. Case and point the difficlut job of cleaning off the original glue. I do not think it makes a whole lot of difference what you use, the important part as "bth1" discovered is that you do not want to use too much. Use as little as possible to avoid the glue from squeezing out onto the glass. Also the corners are an area that are going to want to "pull away". You really need to set up a way to hold the seal inplace at the corners until the glue is good and set up. If you do that then the seal will lay nicely at the corners too. One last note, the area of the corners were a gap is left when installed will "loosen". Ie the seal will stretch out and not leave as large a gap as when it is first installed.

Bth1, yours looks good installed, I hope you are pleased with the final product.

Ag's'95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ag's'95

Do you have anymore of that rear window seal you can sell me, if not is there a link you can give me to purchase the seal.

Thanks

Info is at the top of page 2 of this posting. I do not have any material left.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am extremely pleased with the results. The old seal was dry and missing so much that you could see daylight where the seal should have been. In order to keep it in place I used masking tape. On the one corner I took it off a little too early after getting it all cleaned up and the corner popped off but some more adhesive and some tape fixed that.

Bth1, yours looks good installed, I hope you are pleased with the final product.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
obaa996, I thought that I read that someone needed a tracing of the glass so I did trace the window onto paper after I removed the old seal and before I installed a new one. I am not sure it will work but it is probably better than nothing.

I can send you the paper of the tracing if you give me your address. Maybe if there are more people that need a tracing a group of people can get together and have a glass company cut some new windows and give a group discount.

Has anyone who tried this been able to make a tracing of the glass (without the seal)?

Thanks!

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone else purchased this product... or located a similar product for the RT rear window seal? I am also thinking this could be used to seal Gen 1 side windows.....

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Lance,
I did this on my 99, worked great. :2tu: It left a very small(not noticable) opening on the bottom corners where the window sits, but otherwise, good as new!

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my window seal redone on my 2000 rt. I bought a roll from crlaurence.com and took it to a auto glass shop here in town. paid 80 bucks for the guy to do it.

The shop had the same stuff in stock anyways,,,but I had already bought it. But to tell you the truth i decided not to put the window back in anyways.

The weatherstripping works, but apparently getting the old stuff off and cleaned up is a pain.

Da1cop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my window seal redone on my 2000 rt. I bought a roll from crlaurence.com and took it to a auto glass shop here in town. paid 80 bucks for the guy to do it.

The shop had the same stuff in stock anyways,,,but I had already bought it. But to tell you the truth i decided not to put the window back in anyways.

The weatherstripping works, but apparently getting the old stuff off and cleaned up is a pain.

Please PM me the web site and item number.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I went around with this one last year on my RT and never any answers or help. I found the Seal that V10 and AG has at my local auto glass shop and it works great. Had to cut a little on the tight corners but way better than the $550.00 obsolete dried out originals around. Would like to see more info on the type KWIK is using. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte