Removal of Seat Back Cushion???

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nothing to say, just love your moniker.

Cabin Fever in bfkneebrasky!

Don't even start by telling me it is 65 and sunny today in San Antonio, and you have to get off the Board so you can go for a little drive!

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PLEASE CHECK MY POST REPLY TO MATT KOVAC.
IT OUTLINES HOW TO REMOVE THE SEAT CUSHION.
MATTS POST WAS ON 2/28/02.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS IS THE PROCEDURE THAT I SENT TO MATT KOVAC: THE BACK SEAT CUSHION HAS A WIRE FRAME THAT CLIPS ONTO THE SEAT BACK SHELL. THERE ARE 5 CLIPS: ONE TOP CENTER AND 2 ON EACH SIDE. THE BEST WAY TO SEE THE LOCATION IS TO REFER TO YOUR PARTS MANUAL AND REVIEW THE DIAGRAM.
YOU WILL HAVE TO PUSH THE WIRE FRAME IN AT EACH CLIP LOCATION. BEST WAY IS TO GET A FRIEND TO HOLD THE SHELL WHILE YOU CAREFULLY PUSH IN A SCREWDRIVER BETWEEN THE CUSHION AND THE FRAME AND APPLY PRESSURE ON THE WIRE FRAME ON THE BACK OF THE SEAT CUSHION AT THE CLIP LOCATIONS. GET A CHEAP LARGE BLADE SCREWDRIVER ABOUT 18" LONG AND USE A BENCH GRINDER OR DREMEL TO CUT A VEE SHAPE IN THE BLADE. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE SCREWDRIVER SLIPPING OFF THE WIRE FRAME AS YOU PUSH IT IN.
THIS IS A B***H OF A JOB. GOT TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT THE SEAT CUSHION LEATHER WITH THE SCREWDRIVER SHAFT. TAKES A LOT OF PATIENCE AND "ELBOW GREASE". I INSTALLED VENZANO SEATS IN MY CAR AND THIS PROCEDURE WORKED WELL. YOU CAN ALSO CALL VENZANO IN MICHIGAN 248-674-7400 FOR FURTHER HELP - A REAL NICE GUY THAT DOES THIS KIND OF INSTALLATION ALL THE TIME. GOOD LUCK!!

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but...

I just did this a few minutes ago on my '94 RT/10. First, it's a very easy procedure and second, you don't need any tools at all to do it.

Simply grab the bottom of the seat cushion near the side-bolster support and push it towards the center of the seat. Look into the resulting gap between the seat cushion and the plastic seat back and you'll be able to see where the metal brackets are kind riveted to the seat back. Grab the cusion as close to that piece as possible and push it harder towards the center of the seat. You'll hear a pop as the wire seat frame comes loose from the bracket. Now do this in the same position on the other side of the seat.

The next set of brackets are just to the right and left of where the top-most center portion of the seat opens up into the pass-through hole below the head rest portion. Pull the seat cushion to the side again and locate the bracket. Once you have, push that piece of the cusion towards the center of the seat and they will pop loose just like the lower ones.

Once those four are loose, tilt the bottom of the seat cushion outwards and push up on the whole cushion. This will release the top bracket in the head rest. If you have trouble with that, push the head rest portion out some so you can see where the bracket is. Locating them helps you know where to put the pressure.

Takes about 2 minutes to get both seat backs off with no tools at all.

--Rob Hook

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok...so removing the seat backs is easy. Putting them back on is a BEAR! I'll write more when I figure it out. There has GOT to be a special tool that the factory uses do get the seat frame back into the clips. Anyone?

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
I recommend that you DO NOT FORCE the seat-back clips because they are only attached with plastic rivets and may detach. Instead create the previously sugggested removal tool by cutting a notch in an old flat screwdriver blade so you can push the spring wire out of the clips. This same tool will allow you to put the seat backs back in by guiding the wires back into the clips. I'll put up a new thread for "Removing and Installing Gen I Seat Backs" with some pictures I snapped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang