Removing front cross member....any gottcha's?

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing front cross member....any gottcha\'s?

When removing the front cross member on a 97 GTS are there any gottcha's I should know about first?

The cross member I'm referring to is the one that the power steering fluid cooler is mounted on. It attaches in three places and mine at least, is aluminum and not powder coated.

Any advice will be taken for advisement and appreciated.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Removing front cross member....any gottcha\'s?

-Place jack stands on the inner frame rails to hold up the front of the car. if it remains on its tires, or is lifted by the outer rails, it will compress the upper member and make it very difficult to remove...let alone reinstall.

-You will have to empty the A/C system and remove the A/C line that runs over the passenger side of the rail.

OP
OP
Bad_Byte

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-You will have to empty the A/C system and remove the A/C line that runs over the passenger side of the rail.

And I thought it was just wires running under there, I should have looked closer. That is the type of gottcha I was looking for. In this case the pain-2-reward ratio is weighted heavily on the side of pain so I'll simply leave the member entact.

Thanks for the wisdom.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Never had to remove the ac line to get the crossmember out.You can move the wires on the drivers side and gently pry the crossmember up and out from the drivers side not the passenger side where the a/c lines run.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Never had to remove the ac line to get the crossmember out.You can move the wires on the drivers side and gently pry the crossmember up and out from the drivers side not the passenger side where the a/c lines run.

Ditto, do not "drain" the A/C.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Done it on Gen 1 & 2 and never had to remove AC line. I don't like dealing with gas, that's why I went with a SC.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Man, how the hell were you guys able to get that out of there without pulling that line? Maybe it was just my GTS, but there was NO WAY that member was making it around that hard line. Then again, on that GTS that member had tension even without the wheels and outer rails loaded...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456