Removing Mufflers behind the stock cats?

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone remove the mufflers behind the cats? I am sure people have, what type of tubing did you use? Is there a replacement part that someone sells for this? How loud is it? I have a Random Tech exhaust, but I want it louder and was wondering how hard it is to remove the mufflers behind the cats.

Thanks,

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have the rear muffler replaced with the Random Tech exhaust. I was just wondering about the muffler below the side sills. I would like to just replace the mufflers with straight pipes. Does anyone make a replacement pipe for that muffler section? My car is a 99 RT/10.

Thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have the rear muffler replaced with the Random Tech exhaust. I was just wondering about the muffler below the side sills. I would like to just replace the mufflers with straight pipes. Does anyone make a replacement pipe for that muffler section? My car is a 99 RT/10.

Thanks

That sound like then - so to speak - that you would have no mufflers, only cats. I talked to Jon B at Parts Rack about that once and he said it would be very loud and the popping might be annoying beyond some peoples liking.

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't that the rear muffler, as opposed to the one behind the cat?

Ah, what you are talking about are the resonators. I thought you were referring to the muffler. I'm sure all of the aftermarket companies make straight pipes for that application. Just call parts rack.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether they are called mufflers, resonators, or Chinese Dingos, having ONLY cats should be something you should consider seriously before doing. Or at least flange everything so you can fix her up for date night. Not to many chicks like to be handed ear plugs...

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the resonators first on my '97 GTS and left the factory muffler in place. Very little difference in sound or loudness.

My '99 GTS had the Snake Oyl muffler delete system which still has resonators in the sides. Again, very little difference in sound or loudness.

On both cars I pulled the resonators AND the rear muffler and just had straight pipes after the cats. Now were talking!!! :2tu:

waheed_RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hello,

I removed the cats, used 2.5" stainless steel tubing that makes a 90° bend before the rear wheel, then goes over the subframe and ends in an Magnaflow 2 in 2 out tru-X muffler, two summit stainless tipps .... decent when cruising, real 10-cylinder race sound not like two rumbling 5-cylinders when sidepipes are installed, absolutely brutal at WOT ..... :2tu:

Viperarri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my stock cat with ROE hi flow cat and then put in straight pipe all the way back to the tips (no muffler, no resonators) I experience no drone in any gear or at any RPM. It can be quiet on the highway in the higher gears (its an RT so lots of wind noise) but when you want it to bark, it will shatter glass, set off car alarms, frighten children and neuter pets. Absolutely gorgeous sound.

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just did Roe High Flow cats with there resonator, all 3" no mufflers. Sounds great but is deffinately loud! I like loud but this is loud:omg: ! Got shut down at Limerock Park because it was reading 96 db, I think their limit is 82 db. Like I said I like loud but this really ****** off the neighborhood. ( 97 gts with roe s/c also):2tu:

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about making mine louder as well. I live on an air force base, and when I get to the point where my car can be heard over an F-15 I'll tone it down a little.

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 1994 rt/10 with 4000 miles. (This is my first post) Will exhust modifications on an all stock car improve horsepower, torque, and 1/4 mile times? Or, just make the car sound more aggressive? -Adam

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sweet GTS,
Is the stock exhaust 3" or 2.5"? Did the roe system bolt right up for you? Did you do it yourself? Is the rear section of your exhaust stock?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala