replacing serpentine belt

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey y'all! been a long time, hope all are well!

can someone steer me in the right direction on changing my serp belt? making a bad noise and it's frayed. guess 9 years is long enough... THANKS!

Dan

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
All you really need is a 15mm socket (on a LONG handle) to release tension on tensioner pulley...then carefully run belt around all the right places, ending up back at the tensioner pulley. You SHOULD disconnect the power at the battery to be SAFE.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...OR, since the starter contacts are hot AND exposed, some "helper" drops a tool over the starter...contact made briefly...fingers in belt will be GONE... though, I CAN recommend some folks near you to replant them if you like :)

Call me if you like, Dan...it's been a while ! I'll be glad to give you the long version...the good news being that you really do not have to remove anything to get this job finished. I do use a Snap-On tool that I had a friend modify which gives me 16'' of lever arm on a gear wrench...which helps when doing this alone, from top side.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...or, Since The Starter Contacts Are Hot And Exposed, Some "helper" Drops A Tool Over The Starter...contact Made Briefly...fingers In Belt Will Be Gone... Though, I Can Recommend Some Folks Near You To Replant Them If You Like

Very Good Point !!! :2tu: or should it be :
2thumbs_not2.JPG

Note to self: Keep cooler full of ice nearby. (I'm too lazy to pull the wheel and battery cover.)

Last edited:
OP
OP

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
didn't work out.. went to change the serp belt and the crankshaft bolt was barely on.. threads are somewhat comprmised. need to order a new bolt and dampner (at a minimum). hoping the internal is okay... what a drag.

i guess count my blessings it didn't fly off doing 100 on interstate 75. thanks big time to steve fess! so thankful you answered! sorry to bother you on a saturday night. wife is out of town with the girls in dale hallow. my next door neighbors wife watched my 3 kids as jimmy (next door greatest neighbor) went to change the belt.. gonna have to have it flat bedded to my tech.. any thoughts? thanks Steve!! you must of been/are a great surgeon!!!!

cudda been worse. still *****... :mad:

D

DAMN YANKEE

You sir are a very very lucky man!

Do you want to pin it this time or just crank it back on?

If you want to talk to me, send me a PM

OP
OP

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hoping the bolt and damper are at my house when i get home tonight! just ordered the p/s bracket and pully. Thanks Dan/Steve!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456