Replcing factory seats with racing buckets

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing factory seats in a 2010 ACR.

I see a two conductor wire that goes into the back of each seat.

Assuming this has to do with the air bags.

What is normally done with this pair of wires when installing a set of racing buckets?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is actually one large gray connector that the seat's wiring harness plugs into. The white two wire connector does not need to be disconnected because it's part of the seat's wiring harness. I assume the two wire connector is for the seat belt switch. Everything else has to do with the air bag system. I'm pretty sure unplugging that large gray connector disables the airbag. Keep that in mind when you install your race seats. You'll also have to install some kind of harness with the race seats and that's generally not a good idea for street driving.

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seat removal was easy peazy, 10 min tops aside.
I was wrong about the two wire. It goes from seat to wiring harness and to a larger grey 8 wire plug on passenger and 4 wire plug on driver side.

With these plugs disconnected what features will not work, what bells and whistles are going to chirp and what is the work around to have racing buckets in the hole, air bags to function and seat belt alarm not to ring.

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the passenger there is an occupancy sensor...guess without that hooked up the airbag will not work and the light on the dash will be on cont. ???

Looks like there is a seatbelt sensor n/o or n/c not sure I'll have to put a meter on it. And the third senses weather the seat is full forward at not.

The later two pretty self explanatory. I guess my only question is the occupancy sensor.

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answered my own question. New seats installed, no issues. Airbags are non functional, no chimes, no faults, just added comfort and quicker lap times.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How did you determine the air bags are no longer functional?

Edit...I saw your answer, thanks.

Last edited:

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answered my own question. New seats installed, no issues. Airbags are non functional, no chimes, no faults, just added comfort and quicker lap times.

Nice, got pics of the seats?

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Passenger and driver air bag lights are both lit. According to the manual when the lights are on the air bags are not operational.

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here a few pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 115

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot see from the photos very well but to dyou have a rear cage in the car where your harness belts are attached. Do these seats come up higher then the stock ones and prevent a head hit on the cage if so.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the car. I too have a few questions.

Did you/can you weigh the stock seats?
Did you/can you weight the aftermarket seats?
Where did you purchase them? Or Approx cost?
Are they any "wider" in the waist than the stock seats?
Any other fitment notes?

I know I just bombarded you with a lot of questions, but I too am considering the aftermarket route if I can save 100 pounds combined and they fit better in the waist. I ran a Corbeau in my other car that I daily drove for a few years and really enjoyed the added support.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
+1

I'm a big guy (6'9" / 275lbs), and would like to find a race seat that's lighter, lower, and wider. Fantastic looking ACR BTW!

Any other fitment notes?

I know I just bombarded you with a lot of questions, but I too am considering the aftermarket route if I can save 100 pounds combined and they fit better in the waist. I ran a Corbeau in my other car that I daily drove for a few years and really enjoyed the added support.

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot see from the photos very well but to dyou have a rear cage in the car where your harness belts are attached. Do these seats come up higher then the stock ones and prevent a head hit on the cage if so.

The car isn't caged at all. In the rear bulk head there are two access covers. Behind those covers are tapped holes for the shoulder harness eye bolts. The covers where then trimmed to finish off the install.
Seats actually sit lower than stock, more space between top of seat and roof of the car as well as lower to floor board. I'm 6 foot and no longer starring at the visor or slipping down the seat to see out the window. There is no head/neck support wings on these seats.

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any other fitment notes?

The stock seats are fricken heavy, haven't weighed them, but driving on a government road scale the car lost a min of 40 pounds.
After market are 15 pounds and the brackets are about 10 pounds
Not sure if I'm allowed to say who the supplier is as they are not a supporting vendor. They where purchased and installed in Washington state.
Cost installed with harnesses roughly 5k usd
I'm 6 foot and 165 pounds. I got tired of being tossed around the cockpit on the track . If you a waist bigger than 36" you are not getting in that seat.
They do sell wider ones.
Not a lot of width to install seats in the car. Stock shoulder with is about 18.5" these are 21.5". Provide a lot more support but once in the car, the the shoulder wings had to be shaved a little to allow door to close. Still has original shape of the wing only material at the back of wing had to be cupped out, if that makes any sense. Combined with 6 point harnesses, the feel of being connected with car is solid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1

I'm a big guy (6'9" / 275lbs), and would like to find a race seat that's lighter, lower, and wider. Fantastic looking ACR BTW!

Any other fitment notes?

Big dude is an understatement!! What's it feel like to get hit in the forehead by bugs at 160 mph???
All kidding aside, I now sit a couple inches lower in the car. I chose to install without sliders(fixed position) to get down low to the floor boards as I could.

Again thanks for everyone's kind words, this car is my pride and joy, im a blue collar worker and I worked my ass off to enjoy this ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456