Restrictor Plates - Please explain

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been researching competition driving. The one thing that has me somewhat baffled is the use of restrictor plates and classing. (Thanks in advance and good luck answering this mis-mash of questions!)

1. I understand that the restrictor plates reduce HP and I assume torque, but how does this play out in Toe-to-Toe competition or for that matter Time Trial competition?
Does it all go back to the organizing body, SCCA, NASA, ALMS, etc....

2. If someone steps up to a 600HP viper from a 500HP viper is it all going to get washed away by the restrictor plates?

This leaves me somewhat confused when I see someone has a fully built Viper V-10 racing motor that is putting out 700HP. (I think Naturally Aspirated)
Why a fully built race motor with 700HP NA if you need a restrictor ?
Is because some rules making bodies have HP-to-weight classing?

3. Is the Competition Coupe still using 500HP motors?

4. It appears the weakest link in any car is the driver, especially an inexperienced driver, and the amount of "seat time" a driver has, etc.
That said, what is a reasonable path to upgrading a car over time taking into consideration classing?

5. I just read an article about Cindi LUX at the "Rose" race; her home track and how her restricted Viper was going to be outclassed by other teams. That said, it sounds like the Viper usually has to run with restrictor plates in most competitions. Based on the above it sounds like more HP is not a great benefit unless you need it for the occasional unrestricted races.
Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen