REVIEW: Nitto Invo vs. Michelin PS2

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted a few weeks ago about anyone with experience on the track using both sets of tires. YellowViperSRT10 was the only one who had, and he said they were comparable. I just bought an 06 coupe that came with a brand new set of Invo's, so the very thing I did was drive them a couple hundred miles to break them in. Then, it was off to the track.

I went to a test and tune at Little Talladega. Very easy road course for my first time using this tire. My first impressions:

For street driving, WOW, these tires actually ride really comfortably. Not sure if that's because the PS2's are so stiff (this is my 8th Viper, second Gen III). Whatever the case may be, they are MUCH smoother riding than the stock runflats AND PS2's. Because of this, I thought there was no way a tire like this could handle a road course. The sidewalls have got to be too soft.

My first run, I ran the tires 34psi cold (figuring if 29psi was good for a PS2, the Invo's must need higher). I had read on the BMW forums that higher pressures worked better with this tire. That apparently doesn't apply to Viper sizes.

My lap times were a good 5-7 seconds slower than PS2's. I then dropped the pressures about 1-2 pounds each run (hot they were 42psi!). By the time I got to 36-37 psi hot, my lap times were identical to PS2 times on TGPR.

I will say that I had to learn to drive them differently. Straightline acceleration (as well as accelerating through the Apex) seemed a little better. However, I could hear the tires a lot more in hard cornering. I don't recall hearing PS2's that much, but I could be wrong. The last time I ran PS2's on TGPR was last November. Lap times don't lie, though. The Nitto's seem to be on pace with the PS2's. It's also possible that the noise came from being overinflated, as I didn't get to 36psi hot until the last run of the day.

Overall, I'd have to say it's hard to beat the fact that they are $400-500 cheaper a set and seem to wear better when compared to the PS2's.

With that being said, it's obvious to me that I'm planning to use this car primarily as a track car and occasional driver. So, I need to step up to a stickier compound. Either the Kumho XS or perhaps a Sport Cup.

Anyone interested in buying a set of new Invo's with only 1 track day on them? The tires have 7-8 32nds left, and new they came with around 9/32nds. Would also trade them for XS's or similar stickier tire. Hope this review helps anyone who might be on the fence with their tire choice. If street driving is your primary objective, hands down the Invo's win in my book. If you plan on tracking your car, I think the choice depends on how hard your track is on tires.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted a few weeks ago about anyone with experience on the track using both sets of tires. YellowViperSRT10 was the only one who had, and he said they were comparable. I just bought an 06 coupe that came with a brand new set of Invo's, so the very thing I did was drive them a couple hundred miles to break them in. Then, it was off to the track.

I went to a test and tune at Little Talladega. Very easy road course for my first time using this tire. My first impressions:

For street driving, WOW, these tires actually ride really comfortably. Not sure if that's because the PS2's are so stiff (this is my 8th Viper, second Gen III). Whatever the case may be, they are MUCH smoother riding than the stock runflats AND PS2's. Because of this, I thought there was no way a tire like this could handle a road course. The sidewalls have got to be too soft.

My first run, I ran the tires 34psi cold (figuring if 29psi was good for a PS2, the Invo's must need higher). I had read on the BMW forums that higher pressures worked better with this tire. That apparently doesn't apply to Viper sizes.

My lap times were a good 5-7 seconds slower than PS2's. I then dropped the pressures about 1-2 pounds each run (hot they were 42psi!). By the time I got to 36-37 psi hot, my lap times were identical to PS2 times on TGPR.

I will say that I had to learn to drive them differently. Straightline acceleration (as well as accelerating through the Apex) seemed a little better. However, I could hear the tires a lot more in hard cornering. I don't recall hearing PS2's that much, but I could be wrong. The last time I ran PS2's on TGPR was last November. Lap times don't lie, though. The Nitto's seem to be on pace with the PS2's. It's also possible that the noise came from being overinflated, as I didn't get to 36psi hot until the last run of the day.

Overall, I'd have to say it's hard to beat the fact that they are $400-500 cheaper a set and seem to wear better when compared to the PS2's.

With that being said, it's obvious to me that I'm planning to use this car primarily as a track car and occasional driver. So, I need to step up to a stickier compound. Either the Kumho XS or perhaps a Sport Cup.

Anyone interested in buying a set of new Invo's with only 1 track day on them? The tires have 7-8 32nds left, and new they came with around 9/32nds. Would also trade them for XS's or similar stickier tire. Hope this review helps anyone who might be on the fence with their tire choice. If street driving is your primary objective, hands down the Invo's win in my book. If you plan on tracking your car, I think the choice depends on how hard your track is on tires.

Good write up. With all that in mind, both the tires are again first street tires and not track tires. So yes, if you plan to do some ******** track driving and are a good enough driver to step up to a track tire, then it will help.

I will say, the Pilot Sport Cups are not that great. They do not have very good feedback and grip is decent, but to me only a little better then say a PS2 only when they are warmed up.

I went thew about 4 sets of Pilot Sport Cups on my GT3, they wear very fast.....

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback YellowViper, perhaps I need to stick with a V710 or perhaps some used slicks from Berget. I enjoy the car more on the track than on the street, but it might even make sense to get a set of used wheels with dedicated track tires. Not sure how my wife would feel about more clutter in the garage though!

Copperhead - I'd let the Invo's go for 70% of the new price (ie, new price was $1200, I'd sell for $840). I think anything less would not be worth the trouble of unmounting. I'd just use them up in a few more track days or keep them as a street tire.

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i LOVE my invo's. WAY more comfortable ride then my old runflats and way quieter. Nice soft sticky tires.

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE:

ChrisGTS and I both went back to TGPR this past Saturday. We had identical setups on our 06 coupes (Mintex pads up front from JonB, stock rears). However, Chris had brand new PS2's and I had like new Invo's.

Chris and I both drove our own cars, and then switched cars to get a back-to-back perspective on the two tires. I'll give my impressions, and I'm sure Chris will chime in with his.

Nitto's are by far louder on the track (squealing in hard turns)... I thought they were from the first day, but now I'm sure of it. The strange thing is that I got used to the noise. I was able to pull 1:10's. The PS2's were quieter. Same lap times, but I felt as though the PS2's instilled more confidence (perhaps because I've been using Pilot's for 10 years). The key is to keep the pressures fairly low... I liked 36 hot.

Nittos ride a lot smoother on regular roads. Chris agrees.

Verdict remains the same: If the tires were priced the same, I'd go with PS2's. If you occasionally track your car, Invos are great. Especially since they are about $400-500 cheaper a set.

If anyone wants a set of Invo's with 2 track days on them, I'll be posting in the classifieds. Looking for $700 for the set of 4, as I need to switch to a softer compound for my next track event!

Last edited:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE:

ChrisGTS and I both went back to TGPR this past Saturday. We had identical setups on our 06 coupes (Mintex pads up front from JonB, stock rears). However, Chris had brand new PS2's and I had like new Invo's.

Chris and I both drove our own cars, and then switched cars to get a back-to-back perspective on the two tires. I'll give my impressions, and I'm sure Chris will chime in with his.

Nitto's are by far louder on the track (squealing in hard turns)... I thought they were from the first day, but now I'm sure of it. The strange thing is that I got used to the noise. I was able to pull 1:10's. The PS2's were quieter. Same lap times, but I felt as though the PS2's instilled more confidence (perhaps because I've been using Pilot's for 10 years). The key is to keep the pressures fairly low... I liked 36 hot.

Nittos ride a lot smoother on regular roads. Chris agrees.

Verdict remains the same: If the tires were priced the same, I'd go with PS2's. If you occasionally track your car, Invos are great. Especially since they are about $400-500 cheaper a set.

If anyone wants a set of Invo's with 2 track days on them, I'll be posting in the classifieds. Looking for $700 for the set of 4, as I need to switch to a softer compound for my next track event!

Can you also post thread depths please? Not sure how much would be left after 2 track days, thanks!

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I measured a rear at 6 32nds, I'm guessing the fronts are at 6-7 32nds since after 1 days it was at 7-8 32nds. It's a little harder to tell tread depths with the Invos because of the block pattern on them. The PS2's had a more defined groove.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As someone stated above, buy the Kumho Ecsta V700's all day long over the Cups. Sticker, more predictable, longer lasting and less expensive.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they make the V700 in more sizes, I'd run them on all my cars. Had 8000+ miles on my Lotus when I sold the car and they were like 1/2 worn on the front and still had 1/3 tread left in the rear. Have 4000 miles on the ACR with a few track days thrown in and they are still in very good shape and they are good for both street and track, the best all around tire for anyone that drives to the track I know of.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi