Richmond, VA “Horsepower Challenge – Corvette vs. Viper,” Sep. 10

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agenda for “Horsepower Challenge – Corvette vs. Viper,” September 10:

1. 1:30 PM meet at McGuire Veterans Hospital, 1201 Broad Rock, Blvd., Richmond, VA

2. 3:30 PM event ends and trophy awarded by losing club to the winning club

Notes:

1. Rain or shine. Let’s not loose the trophy because we cannot get our Vipers wet!

2. There are few gas stations near the hospital.

3. The Horsepower Challenge is to see which club, Viper Club of America or Corvette Club of Virginia, will have the most horsepower at the event. Both clubs will use net horsepower unless you have a dyno slip. The dyno slips will be adjusted for drive train loss.

4. We lost the Horsepower Challenge by half of a Viper last year. We cannot lose two years in a row!

5. The show is to honor our veterans. Corvette and Viper owners who wish will give rides to the veterans in the hospital.

6. Ron Hickey will organize a cruise from Northern VA to McGuire Veterans Hospital. Contact him for details at (703) 241-2878 or [email protected]

7. John Schwaebler will organize a cruise from the Tidewater area to the McGuire Veterans Hospital. Contact him for details at (757) 427-0123, (757) 679-2626 or [email protected]

8. Please call or email Howard Burnette with the horsepower of your Viper at (804) 745-3255 or [email protected].

Howard Burnette

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year we had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, we lost by half a car. With the new Z06's it will be even tougher this year without a good showing by the Viper Club. I will plan to be there with my weak 439HP at the wheels.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Toiletries are not provided to our veterans while they are in the hospital by the Veterans Administration. The Corvette Club of Virginia found out that some of our veterans don’t have enough money to purchase toiletries. The Corvette Club has requested that everyone that participates make a $10 contribution at this event. They will use the contributions to purchase these items for our veterans. This is a good cause.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I threw a check engine light last night, but if I get it resolved in time, and I do not have to "unexpectedly" work, I plan to be there this year.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Brian, hope you can get your check engine light issue resolved before September 10th. Do you have a dyno slip? If so, be sure to bring it. Every bit of horsepower will help. Last year we lost the Horsepower Challenge to the Corvette Club of Virginia by only half a Viper. They are a small club of about 25 members so if we could get 20 Vipers to the event I believe we would win this year. There will be about a hundred Corvettes at the event but only the ones from the Corvette Club of Virginia will count in the challenge.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ha! I think you're better off with net with my car. Last time I had it dynoed it was pushing like 380hp.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Brian, we're going to allow a 15% drive train loss for those with a dyno slip.

I talked with the president of the Corvette Club of VA the other day and I don't think he's going to bring his 1,000 HP Corvette after all. That one would be equal to three C5 Vets or two SRT-10's. I sure wish we could get one of Heffner's 1,000 HP twin turbo Vipers to the event!

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The event times have expanded a bit. You may arrive anytime between 12:00 and 1:30 PM. They have also pushed back the award ceremony to 4:00 PM.

It’s going to be great if we can get 20 Vipers to the event. If you’ll look real close at the pictures in the link below you’ll see the lone SRT-10 at the Veterans Hospital event last year. It was sure lonesome being the only Viper among a hundred Corvettes.
http://www.corvetteclubofvirginia.com/vettes_for_veterans_2005

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Below are some pictures from the Horsepower Challenge in September 2005 at the "Christmas in September" event at the Children's Hospital in Richmond, VA.

Ron Hickey, President VA/MD VCA, is awarding the trophy to Charles Hawkins, President Corvette Club of VA for winning the Horsepower Challenge.

283Ron_Hickey_awarding_trophy_to_Charles_Hawkins-med.jpg

The Corvettes and Vipers are nose to nose.
283Vipers_and_Corvettes_nose_to_nose-med.jpg

The event was for the children. Here Santa Claus is visiting one of the children.
283Santa_visits_children.jpg

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John, I believe Matt Jackson from Fredericksburg is planning to attend. Perhaps you can meet him as you come through Fredericksburg.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I believe Matt Jackson from Fredericksburg is planning to attend. Perhaps you can meet him as you come through Fredericksburg.

Meeting Matt is a possibility. However, Mike does not have a good history of showing up on time. I would hate to make other members wait for us to show up.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post the times and places where you meet in MD???

I may try to join the group with my SC'd and bottlefed beast. I'll be heading south from Lancaster. If I can come you'll have +600HP slip coming.

Lauri

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post the times and places where you meet in MD???

I may try to join the group with my SC'd and bottlefed beast. I'll be heading south from Lancaster. If I can come you'll have +600HP slip coming.

Lauri

Mike and I are going to meet in Frederick. Let me know if you want to hook up with us. We are going to Richmond via Leesburg.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John, DR.Dominic from Chesapeake is in, he will bring his dyno sheet..

Still trying to talk Tony into this event,and bringing his bad asp ride..?? I did not read this section before I posted on the RT/10-GTS board, so I did not know about issues as stated above......sorry to hear that.did a double take...

So the meeting place for Tidewater group is the car pool parking lot located at the corner of Indian River Road & Reon Drive just off Interstate 64(close to the VaBeach/Chesapeake line) at 10:45 on Sunday....and on up 58 to Suffolk to meet up with George....

Bonkers is still deciding on group ride with us or going into Richmond via another route...

The weather forecast is outstanding, turn out should be awesome for Vipers and Vettes....

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent out an email to 4 other local Vipers. Hopefully one or two will come along. John if you want to meet me just call. We'll do kind of a spur of the momment thing. I plan to leave here at 11:00AM. That's a little early but should put us there between noon and 1:00PM. If you can catch up call me and we'll slow down for ya. 540-207-6534 or home 540-899-6308

Reaction score
Alas...here you go. The parking lot was ABSO-F-ING-LUTELY full of cars...this guy was BEYOND dangerous. I submit:

2FullLot-med.jpg

It gets worse! If I pan back just a bit you can see even MORE cars!!!

2FullLot2-med.jpg

By this time Sherrif Taylor showed up...but neither one of them could make any kind of decision. Collective mental power.....zero.

Officer Smith tells everyone to back off right after he called to get Andy out of the Donut shop:

2OffSmith.jpg

Lo and behold...he catches ME snapping a few momentos:

2EyeballingVipermad-med.jpg

By the looks of things...I could tell I was in T-Rouble! Look how he is looking at me...as if I had his DONUTS!!

2OffSmith2.jpg

Thank GOD he managed to beat us all back! I wonder if, at ANY INSTANT, he thought to himself he MIGHT have over-reacted?!?!?!

2Support-med.jpg

Here we are, waiting for DrDJ and his Hybrid Viper to show up in Va. Beach, just prior to heading out.

2VV1-med.jpg

Sadly....MANY people drove a LONG distance to honor our DAV's, leave it to one asp-hat who likely NEVER wore the uniform to go all gun crazy!

It isn't as if ANYONE will hold him accountable for his actions. He shouldn't wear a badge and shouldn't carry a gun. Mark my words...this dude is wound way too tight...he's gonna shoot someone someday (probably for chirping the tires on their wheelchair)!!

From the above post.....here is the DVA that was getting the ride:

283IMGA0167-med.JPG

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good pics Howard AND Tony. It was a great day hampered by one ****. The vet talked to us after the ordeal. That dude kept the vet in the car for almost 2 hours. What a ****! The vet told us the cop came up and told him to get out of the car too. Then he got teed off when the vet said "ummm I can't, my chair is over there". It's a shame some people have to be like that. Anyone know what happened to the Vette owner?

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
More pictures from the Horsepower Challenge event at the VA Hospital.

You must be registered for see images