Hey VA-MD Chapter - merely a "meet for lunch and polish our cars" social club??

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note: This site will not let me post anywhere but here for some reason, so that's why this is posted in this category. Tidewater Mopar Club event at Virginia Motorsports Park, Dinwiddie (Petersburg) VA 21-22 September

(I'll preface this slight rant with the following: I know how important social (versus Motorsports) events are for this car club. Chatting, getting to know people, making friends, and including family members is vital for an enjoyable car club.)

To those who attended, you know that this event was a great success, and lots of FUN!

As far as I can tell, it was advertised well. More on that in a few paragraphs…

Many thanks to the staff of the Tidewater Mopar Club (TMC), the club president, Butch Hora, and especially Tom McCormick, a member of both TMC and the VA/MD VCA Chapter.

Members of other area Mopar Clubs also attended. Scores of Chrysler (and some AMC) owners brought lots of vintage as well as late-model Mopar muscle and other cars and trucks. The late-model HEMI dragstrip shootout on Saturday alone was worth the price of admission. 9 second ¼ Mile Grand Cherokees (and 10 and 11 second Chargers, 300s, Challengers, Magnums)…who wouldda thought?

Except for very early Sunday morning, the weather was PERFECT.

This year, the TMC wanted to do something extra special for the Viper owners of the region. Vipers have been around for more 20 years, which means early Vipers are now considered classics. So, Sunday was set aside as the featured Viper day.

What that meant was that on Sunday there would be open test and tune on the dragstrip (actually test n tune was available for Vipers on Saturday as well), as well as a nice FAST Autocross course set up by NASA. For those of you who Autocross, NASA’s Mid-Atlantic chapter is no joke – great people who set up a fine course (also very active in road course venues including Summit Point and VIR).

If you’re afraid to break something on a dragstrip, then Autocross is a great way to have lots of fun with practically ZERO risk of breaking anything except pride if you nail one too many cones.

I’m not sure what the exact Viper count was on Saturday, but I think it was 10 or 11. Sunday? FIVE.

Has the VA/MD chapter become merely a “meet for lunch” social club? Do many Viper owners like to drive their Vipers in a controlled environment where you can actually (safely) learn and experience the performance these incredible cars offer?

It appears this event was well-advertised via email. I saw tht John M. announced it more than once.

Of all of the local, “grass roots” events planned for Viper owners, this one was the real deal. I’ve been a Viper owner since 1996, and this was by far the best “local” event that included Vipers in the past 10 years. The only thing that would have made it better was more Vipers.

People: We had only THREE Vipers show up for the Autocross course.

Camaraderie, Vipers and Mopars, great people, and the chance to experience high-performance driving. The driving wasn’t required, of course. Some chose to show only and not drive. But they did, at least, show up.

What am I missing?

stak320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went down for Saturday. I was given the run-around at the gate. No one had clue what to do with a Viper. So after talking with a few folks, I entered it into the "car show" so my buddy could get in for free. No one I talked to in the Viper world said anything about tuning available on Saturday. That was a factor of why I paid the "full Viper experience" price. I was there for 10 minutes and then it rained. As I went to wipe down the car, the "judge" came over and asked if I was going to open the hood to be judged. I asked if we could wipe her down first and he hurried me along. When I opened the hood to reveal the engine, he noticed the signature I had and asked why that was special. I said Ralph Gilles brought back our car...he turned away and went on his way. At this "car show" is where I learned a Hennessey 700 is stock and considered a mild class...***? All in all there was no coordination and lack of a central Viper area/booth. Unless I was blind, and the 4 other Viper owners I talked with were as well, then I must have missed it. Although before I left, some drunk hillbilly on a golf cart brought me a Viper poster and thanked me for coming. I didn't even bother to come back on Sunday since I was sure I'd be in for another disappointing day. This is what ***** about being a young Viper owner in this area. We did plenty of driving for another crap event...I'll keep hanging with the local boys in NOVA and SOMD and occasional C&C.

OP
OP
G

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorryyou had a bad day there.
Sundaywas the scheduled day to feature the Viper. Were you not made aware of that? Did you speak with anyone besides obvious Viper owners (BTW there wereprobably over a dozen Viper owners there who didn’t bring Vipers to that event –they brought their classic Mopars instead)?
Whichcar was yours?
Yes, thegate was messed up on Saturday. Long wait and clueless gateattendants. I wasn’t happy about that at all. But - that was straightened out in fairlyshort order. I also had a gate problemon Sunday – but not as bad. The gatepeople are Track employees, not Club people.
All ofthe Viper-specific answers you sought were available - there was a Vipercoordinator there - Tom with the silver Gen 2/black stripes. Regarding Saturday Test and Tune, there were severalannouncements made for open category (street cars which included Vipers). You could have run your Viper that day.
Sunday,the featured Viper day, is when the Viper shootout on the track wasscheduled. It didn’t happen due to lackof cars that day. After early morning –perfect weather, too.
Drunkhillbilly on a golf cart. I saw nodrunks. If you mean the TMC President, whowas fixing issues like the gate problems, he’s the SRT Coordinator/Manager atVirginia Beach Dodge. He’s also a reallygreat guy, and an outstanding Club President. Additionally, he also served his country in the Navy for over 20 years.
At leastyou showed up. Your input on this forumwill also help for the next event, which will surely be better for Viperdrivers. Sunday really was a great time!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey George, you can't post in the VA/MD section because your membership has expired. Hope you and family are doing well. Getting guys to track their cars has been historically difficult. I remember when I first joined, all it seemed we had were lunches. We have since added quite a few nice cruises.

We are doing the one in the mountains again this year. Why don't you come out for that?

Thanks for the write up on the event. I wish I could have made it, but my oldest is in football.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62