Road trip in a GTS?? X-country??? In Novenber??

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe it's time to pull the trigger and buy a Viper :usa: . I've been lurking on this board for 2 months ( great input..thanks a lot guys) and been following all the leads. What ifn I buy a 1997 GTS and drive it from Texas to New York. Is that Crazy?? :cool:
I would be leaving this Friday and mostly following RT 70 Wichita/Kansas City/St Louis/ Indy/Colombus/Cleveland....1500 miles.
I would be stopping in St Louis ( or KC or Indy) on Friday eve, can I call anyone hear if I get all balled up??? or thirsty? :D
What if I blow out the water pump in St Louis? :curse: or a head gasket in Dayton?
Hmmm, if I average 100mph I could do this in one day. :shocked:
Viper(stock) has 23k miles on it
OR..is this just too CRAZY?? let's take a poll. :cool:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like fun!!!!!!!!
Kc has a great club, if you come through call us we will take you to dinner!
Of course if you have problems we would be glad to help.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
picked mine up at woodhouse in nebraska and drove hom to nj.
year later drove it from NJ to florida and back
another year later did it again to florida and back.

NO PROBLEM, go for it.

there are guys all around this country that are willing to help. bring a laptop and dont sweat it.

and averaging that speed is hard with all the traffic but i came close.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO IT!

life is short, drive it like you stole it

and PIT STOP and meet up with the guys on here, it will be a trip you will never forget. I am in N Indiana, and we have been in the 40's for awhile, so you should be fine on weather, maybe run into some rain, but that's it

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine in Montreal a few days before Thanksgiving of 1998, drove through a few flurries to get back, but had no problem at all.

And compared to me, you have a real roof...

I think the best thing a new owner can do is drive the car (as you will have to in order to get home) and learn all about it at once. It's like a long first date with your favorite.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BE VERY CAREFUL.I usualy put my car away in late October.A viper is a white knuckle PIA to drive in the rain.Handling is skittish at 55 and visibility is very poor.Put some Rain-x on the windshield when you pick it up.Check the fluids etc.Tire pressures 29lbs cold.With temps in the low 40's I have broken loose the rear tires in 3RD gear on dry pavement when I absolutely was just trying to get home safely.Other than rain and cold pavement it is very enjoyable to drive long distances.Make sure you contact one of us in the area when you get back.We all belong to the Ontario region VCA.Lots of great events right across the border.Also we tend to do some informal cruises together with a local group of owners Viper,Lambo etc.on this side. GTS Bruce

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobby Loder of Voss Dodge in Centerville (just south of Dayton)
PH: 937.428.6300

(edit: oops, is now called "Walker Chrysler Jeep Dodge" and Bobby still works there, I just called to confirm)

is an excellent Viper Tech...along your route

-J

OP
OP
C

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but...what if I hit an animal?? :mad: AND...what about stone chips on the paint and headlights? :shocked: Maybe I wanna trailer Queen?
The weather looks like it will hold for the next 5 days...Maybe I should fly down with some of my fav CD's and go for it??? :2tu:

I don't have a lap top..just a cell phone..how could I contact the Viper Club board members??

Tony P ( I'm thinking maybe Roe S/C , gotta buy the Viper first)

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BE VERY CAREFUL.I usualy put my car away in late October.A viper is a white knuckle PIA to drive in the rain.Handling is skittish at 55 and visibility is very poor.Put some Rain-x on the windshield when you pick it up.Check the fluids etc.Tire pressures 29lbs cold.With temps in the low 40's I have broken loose the rear tires in 3RD gear on dry pavement when I absolutely was just trying to get home safely.Other than rain and cold pavement it is very enjoyable to drive long distances.Make sure you contact one of us in the area when you get back.We all belong to the Ontario region VCA.Lots of great events right across the border.Also we tend to do some informal cruises together with a local group of owners Viper,Lambo etc.on this side. GTS Bruce

If driving in the rain (which the forecast calls for none along his route) up the cold tire pressure by at least 15%. And 29 cold for Michelin Pilots is too low, put them to at least 32lbs cold, that's been my experience.

-J

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but...what if I hit an animal?? :mad: AND...what about stone chips on the paint and headlights? :shocked: Maybe I wanna trailer Queen?
The weather looks like it will hold for the next 5 days...Maybe I should fly down with some of my fav CD's and go for it??? :2tu:

I don't have a lap top..just a cell phone..how could I contact the Viper Club board members??

Tony P ( I'm thinking maybe Roe S/C , gotta buy the Viper first)

Personally I think you should go for it.

Myself, I am driving 700 miles up to Springfield Mo to pick up a new ride and drive it and my ride up back together (with some friends), that's 1400 miles round trip. I'll be in Springfield Thurs nite and all day Fri driving back Sat...

:2tu:

J

p.s. as for who to call, I would recommend David Weaver at 512 312 2258 (Austin Texas), maybe call down there and get a weekend contact number ahead of time? Or call Bobby (referred to above)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
make a list of all the viper techs,vca members willing to help in each of the states ya gotta drive thru.

rain is not a big deal, its a car...drive it, just slow down a little.

maybe have the fascia clearbra'd before you pick it up.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my car 100 miles from my house and still paid to have it flat bed delivered (with me following in the SUV). I know, I know.

I say GO FOR IT! If you can make it to Columbus, OH for the night, I'll buy you a cold one. Heck if you can make by 3:30 Saturday afternoon, you can watch the Buckeyes kick the crap out of Michigan. Got an extra $1k for a ticket? Just a small event going on that day! Go Bucks!!!! :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

If you seriously want to stop here, pm me.

OP
OP
C

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Road trip in a GTS?? X-country??? In November??

Thanks Bruce, So am I CRAZY? Maybe I should just call the whole thing off and buy the Porsche Turbo in Cleveland..much closer and 4WD...probably close to the same performance as the Viper.
BUT.... I dunno..me and the Viper is like a moth to the flame :bonker: ...I fell like a gotta do it for just one year and get it out of my system. :eek:
Thanks for the input..that's what I need, I'll take Rainx with me and keep it 'under 100' :eek:
Tony P ( I'm thinking Roe S/C, but first I gotta but a Viper)

99RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I bought my RT10 from a guy in Indiana back in July. I flew out with my wife on a Thursday evening, met the seller Friday morning and left for NY by 11:00 am. Drove the Viper home 750 miles straight through (about 12 hours), and about 250 miles were in a hard driving rain... No leaks, no problem. Nice to have a car that doesn't rust like my vintage iron :p
The worst part about driving a car with monster sized tires is gettingg tossed around by the truck ruts in the road.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bruce is wimpy. As long as there is tread on the tires to channel rain away you'll be fine. If it rains or snows, stick to the speed limit and be up one or two gears from where you normally would be.

Long distance traveling will put heat in the tires. It's not the road that gets warm, it's the flexing of the sidewalls every revolution that warms the rubber. (Bend a coat hanger a few times.) Even old tires eventually get warm.

I'll also relay my experience with windshield rain coatings. Might be fine for a while, but when it starts to come off it's worse than not having it. Then when you turn on the wipers on it streaks even worse. I'd never do that again unless you have plenty of reserve in the car at all times.

I practiced one winter with 10 year old XGTZs and went through a few snow showers and rain in "upstate" NY (OK, Bruce, 70 miles north of NYC.) I can honestly say the only thing I ever hit was a guardrail at a track with slicks on in the summer.

OP
OP
C

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok. I'll take new wiper blades with me , good idea. Those blades could be original..10 years??

The tires have 70% left according to seller..should be OK

I'll try to post a photo ifn someone tells me how..it's on my desktop+

Tony P ( I'm thinking Roe S/C but first I gotta buy a Viper)

OP
OP
C

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
She's a BEAUT :laugh:

i know...the hood-fit-to-bumper( i think you guys call it a facia?) is only average for the year, but maybe it's ok?

AND...what kinda wheels are THOSE???????? :crazy:

Tony P ( I'm thinking Roe S/C but first I gotta buy a Viper)

wattage

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you love the car, you should do it -- and not think twice about it. As others have said, just check your tires and your basic fluids. A little rain is no problem. Just be cautious with the throttle and slow down. I've been driving my GTS almost daily in the Seattle rain/cold this month, leaving my other cars to languish, because the Viper is just that much fun; my only worry is everyone else on the road.

Do it and enjoy it, man! :nana:

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, do it. If you aren't concerned about putting a lot of miles on your car, go for it. I would. I've always wanted to drive cross country and to do so in a Viper would be even better! Make sure you take a lot of pictures on your drive back and share 'em with us!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rain is not a problem if you're careful. Not nearly as much fun, but can easily be done. In rain, you need to favor the center line or the side of the road depending on traffic. I always try to stay in a gear where I get some control if I need it. I do the same thing on icy roads with my truck--no overdrive. You need a light foot, but you also want to be able to react with a little gas if you have to. Watch out for dished out roads from heavy truck traffic. The Viper steam roller tires don't do well in the hollows --even on dry roads.

Snow is not much different from rain unless it starts to stick on the road. ...then you've got problems. I've been in all of the above.

I'll also relay my experience with windshield rain coatings. Might be fine for a while, but when it starts to come off it's worse than not having it. Then when you turn on the wipers on it streaks even worse. I'd never do that again unless you have plenty of reserve in the car at all times.

I'll disagree a little with Tom here. I've used Rain X for a long time. The trick is too put a couple of good coats on and then immediately go over the windshield with a glass cleaner. Rub the glass cleaner in well. I've never had any streaking since using this method. Rain X is no good for sleet or wet snow as the run off starts to freeze at the top and sides of the windshield. This screws up the wipers and heavily contributes to ice build up on the windshield.

We live in Big snow country--sometimes into May. We picked our car up at CAAP March 31st, 2000 and drove it the 500 miles home. There was still over 2 feet of snow on the ground here. We had to park it for another month due to spring snow storms, but took full advantage of the 'weather window' to bond with the most enjoyable ride we've ever owned!!

Go for it if it looks like the weather will hold!

Steve

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DO it! If i did not have kids and could afford the time, I would. Good stuff

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey don't listen to me.Be a macho man in a macho car.Don't worry abour rain or cold tires.Just jump in and hammer that gas pedal.Life insurance paid up.Good.So how about willing me whats left of the car.I could use a parts car.A Viper is a Viper.Go get it.Would have loved to co drive as many others would but notice is too short for me.Forget the *** car.Its just another vw bug on the road. Ps:pick up a can of flat fix there.We all carry them on trips just in case Bruce

OP
OP
C

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Bruce, for the heads up. I'll try to keep it under 100....and maybe the sun will shine the whole trip!! :D Looking forwards to driving a Viper to KC...I hear it's a real snake pit o' Vipers. Maybe the guys in K C like to party on a FRI EVE!!! :shocked:

Tony P ( BTW ifn you see a RED Viper on RT 70 the next couple o days..just HONK) :p

OP
OP
C

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WICHITA tomorrow nite?? Gotta get ready now, flight time is 5:30 am. If the car is not a dog and things go extra smooth, hoping to be in WICHITA.

TONY

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hey I live in wichita.. if you need a place to stay or a lift for maintenance... just give me a call..

phone number pm'ed to you..

good luck!!!