Road trip suggestions from California to Georgia ?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any input ?

Road trip driving a Viper from Los Angeles area to Georgia.

Options: Hwy 40 through Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, 2130 miles, 30:40 hrs.
OR
Hwy 15 then 70 through Las Vegas, Grand Junction, Vail, Denver, Topeka, Kansas City, St. Louis, Nashville, 2295 miles, 33:59 hrs.

I have never driven the desert or the big mountains so both would be new to me. Could possibly do minimum stops or maybe take some more time to spend a night or two at interesting stops. How fast can you run Hwy 40 ? Tickets ?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun trip. Ive always wanted to go cross country. Me personally, I would take Hwy 15. sounds like a more interesting trip. Denver is beautiful. I went a few years back. I would say take your time and stay at places you find interesting. Are you already in Cali? If not, want a co-pilot? :)

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Any input ?

Road trip driving a Viper from Los Angeles area to Georgia.

Options: Hwy 40 through Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, 2130 miles, 30:40 hrs.
OR
Hwy 15 then 70 through Las Vegas, Grand Junction, Vail, Denver, Topeka, Kansas City, St. Louis, Nashville, 2295 miles, 33:59 hrs.

I have never driven the desert or the big mountains so both would be new to me. Could possibly do minimum stops or maybe take some more time to spend a night or two at interesting stops. How fast can you run Hwy 40 ? Tickets ?

I'd suggest going beyond Nashville if you want to get to Georgia. Sorry couldn't resist. Seriously, I've driven the 40 route and it's great through the desert. Nice open stretches. Also, you could take a slight detour and go to the Grand Canyon if you have time. Take a V1.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Flagstaff to Memphis: BORING!!!! Flat, no trees in sight, straight. BORING !!! Don't know about the speed rating. Of course, if you have a burning desire to see Graceland or possibly the Grand Canyon, that's the way to go.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take second, northern arc option. Driving across New Mexico and Texas is about as close to hell as you are going to get - expecially at this time of year.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Watch out for earthquakes in California, Tornados in the Southwest, Hurricanes in the Southeast.....Have a safe trip................10 would be the fastest easily......Speeding laws in Arizona are scary.....speed-traps in El Paso (I know).

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I made the run from LA to Vegas to Ohio twice back in the early 90’s. Both times we took 40 for the West–East run. Cops were very cool, blew by many in the low 100’s without ever getting pulled over. We had a few flash their lights at us, but they never even pulled out. We ran with the tuckers in convoys at night, they know where all of the speed traps are. I swear you can pull a heck of a draft in the middle of a convoy. I guess stone chips were not an issue back then. We even had a Texas Trooper in a Mustang run beside us for a ½ hour at around 100mph. Several of the gas stations were closed in the middle of the night making for some scary miles with the gauge on E. We averaged a little over 100mph with pit stops. I saw people pulled over, but they were usually getting stupid in mid day traffic. At night it was balls out. But, this was over 10 years ago. Things may have changed. I would definitely pack some heat. You are in the middle of nowhere for a loooong time!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Take a gun with you- Because you never know.....

You might find yourself alone at night, on a deserted downtown street, its cold, dark.....

And you might need some cash! :D

I've always heard Route 66 is pretty cool? Doesn't that go east to west?

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a gun with you- Because you never know.....

You might find yourself alone at night, on a deserted downtown street, its cold, dark.....

And you might need some cash! :D

LOL :2tu:

Use painters tape to make your own "clear bra" if you don't already have one.....

Take the trip through Vail/ Denver especially if you have a honey with ya. Very scenic. One night in Vegas, the next night in Vail.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd definitely take option 2. And not only because you can cruise the 15 at 120mph+ (preferably at night) with a very minimal chance of getting nailed, but it's a great drive. Driving up through the CO mountains will be 10x better than the wasteland that is TX and OK.

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got done traveling from AL to WA and then back. Over 7,000 miles. Further north you go you have to deal with high winds on the open road... it can wear you out. Further South THUNDERstorms! Have fun either way.

viprvenm

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tony I did the southern route on the way to vegas, on the way back did alot of national parks, vally of fire, sedona, grand canyon, painted desert(@120mph yes indeed)petrified forrest, my fav Meteor crater, Sante fe, It was a blast, definitely worth doing

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

You might want to think about rerouting your trip thru Cawker City Kansas so you can take in The Worlds Largest Ball of String. Don't try this if your on any medications or are weak of heart, it's pretty exciting!

Bo knows

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The second option sounds better to me. I drove my first Viper from Dallas to California and got a ticket in Abiline Texas for going 82mph instead of the 65mph at night that was posted. What kind of **tt is that?

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tony,

I was in the USMC and did the 10 route several times...GO THE OTHER WAY!!..Grand Canyon is good for about 1 hour..The treck through Flagstaff, Bring a ton of cash for gas for either side and a DVD...BORING!!!
And like Chad said..if you need a body in the pasenger seat..I'm there!!

Todd

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62