Roadster back glass questions

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are some pros and cons with the removal of the back glass when the top is off?
Thanks!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the weather is consistantly nice, my rear window comes out for the rest of summer. There is less wind buffetting with it out, and it looks cooler with the sport cap open.

The good part of the back window is that combined with the hardtop on, it really insulates the car from noise, and feels like a hardtop car. But that's a small price to pay when summer comes. :laugh:

-Dean.

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely leave it off for less wind resistance. If the top is off so is the window. With the top down and @ speeds 100+ mph you risk that the window will blew out.

OP
OP
V

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks guys, I learned something!
NOW, Buckeye says it's hard as crap to re-install, so, any handy tips to assist in putting it back in?
Thanks

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper joe,
i agree putting the window back in is not fun.
step one:
once with weather is good leave it out for the summer.

step 2,
get the window in place from the inside line it all up snap the snaps
while your hand is in the car on the window lock lever turn the key
guiding it into the slot.
becareful not to bend it.
just push gently on the window to make fit.
the rubber gasket on the window only needs a little pressure in the right place and the key
should turn without problem and everything line up.

i agree a bit of a pain but with practice not a big deal.

good luck
Jim :)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never had trouble putting the window in or out. I do it quite a bit, although if the weather's nice it's out at least 75% of the time. What works slick for me is to: Tip the driver's seat forward. Slide the glass at an angle with the top of the glass leaning forward. Line up the bottom and then just push the top into the seal. Use one hand on the inside and the other on the key to insure the locking tab gets into it's slot. Snap the bottom in last. Takes less than a minute overall. With the top off and window in, you almost have to have a chin strap(or put it on backwards) to keep a hat on from the turbelence. Window out is much better. Also better to hear the headers working at WOT.

Steve

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also install and remove the glass frequently. I usually leave it out while using it and install it only for washing. No problems in the installation or removal. I do look in and verify that the window is aligned to allow the pins to go in without resistance. This is on a Gen I so no locks, but I thought the rest of the window is essentially the same.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top off, window out.

Question:
You all have seen those mesh wind screens in back of the compartment which is supposed to cut wind buffeting. Our MB 500SL has one, but have not used it yet - hard top not off yet for the summer (I hope we get some summer).
Has anyone seen one for a RT/10?, would it do any good? Seems one could be made to fit in where the rear window goes.
Any thoughts ?????

Later,

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom edge in First, glass tilted Forward, snap the snaps on bottom then push top edge into place. Watch latches to make sure they are in slot & not on paint.

Andy

Viper 8 R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Steve '00R/T said. And if it rains, we get wet (if ya stop long enough.)
But also, the back window is for security.
When the back glass is out, anyone has access to your manual door latches inside - - will open, alarmed or not!

LethalBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have more of a weather stripping question about this. I just bought mine about 3 weeks ago. The dealer said that this stripping around the back glass can not be purchased seperately, that you have to get the whole window, which is about $680. The reason I am asking is that the stripping is cracked REALLY bad, and it leaks slightly on the passenger side if left outside when it rains(never would) or when washing car, plus it's a bit of an eyesore. Not extremely noticeable to the average driver, but to me it's stands out! Anyone have any problems with this?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's surprising how much of a difference taking the rear glass out is. Less wind and you can hear the exhaust much better (I only have muffler delete).

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My weather strip on the window is good but it was coming off the glass. I fixed it with some black RTV in the slot and a bunch of rubber bands to hold till dry.

The windows come up on ebay from time to time.

I would think a glass shop could make a replacement if you had a pattern from a buddy's window and if you saved your weather strip.

Oh, by the way, I find the window much easier to put in when the top is off. So if you get caught in the rain, put on the top after.