Roe S/C users: Did you need to upgrade the cooling system?

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm debating buying a Roe S/C for my 97 GTS but as is the car runs warm. I plan to install a lower temp stat and a fan switch, but with the blower will a radiator upgrade be mandatory?

Also will the aftermarket aluminum radiators accept my stock fan?

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the lower temp stat and the fan switch and have NO problems with heat whatsoever. The system seems to keep things pretty normal.

Last edited:

RedWood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the lower temp stat and the fan switch and have NO problems with heat whatsoever. The system seems to keep things pretty normal.

same here!!! I do plan on doing the water **** kit later when i put in the 10lb pulley (on a separate note).

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm debating buying a Roe S/C for my 97 GTS but as is the car runs warm. I plan to install a lower temp stat and a fan switch, but with the blower will a radiator upgrade be mandatory?

Also will the aftermarket aluminum radiators accept my stock fan?

I've talked to Sean about radiators before, and even though he sells the aluminum ones, he told me stock will work just fine. But after you change the stat and do a flush and refill with his recommendation of 2 Redline W/W and Prestone ELC.

I do however agree with what was said above that hp does make heat. And sitting in Texas traffic provides no air flow. So I have one.

I think all of them fit the stock fan.

The Ron Davis that I have will accept the OE airbox. I wanted to keep my OE airbox.

The Fluidyne is too thick and the airbox must be aftermarket.

There is a Illustrated Upgrade thread about putting in a Fluidyne.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock rad. will work fine. A larger aftermarket rad. will work better. Like Dave666 said, the Fluidyne is thicker and you will need to modify your airbox. I have a special PBJ airbox to accomodate the the thicker rad. Be sure you check the "hidden" coolant tank behind the fascia. If it is not full your s/c will heat up even faster. I have experienced that one...

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 years and 35,000 miles and no overheating problems. Like others have mentioned, I do have the low temp therm (which really should have no bearing on overheating in traffic).

And I've been stuck in major traffic in summer heat. Came closest to overheating one time in the Lincoln Tunnel in mid July heat wave. It was 120 degrees in the tunnel in bumper to bumper traffic. Took 1.5 hours to go 2 miles. Just made it out and was able to drive 50 mph for a few miles to drop the temp. Just made it.

Daily traffic was never a problem.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The newer fan setup from the later gen 2 s will be in order as well....I am running 10lb and W/M and it ran fine with the stock radiator...It did develop a leak and I replaced it with the newer fan setup and a Alans performance aluminum radiator...His radiators are an exact fit replacement...Note: It runs 20 or so degrees cooler than the stock unit overall...Al

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree completely. I have noticed no different in how hot the car runs between stock and with the Roe SC. If you are doing a lot of road racing or something and actually using the extra HP for long periods of time, then I could see it helping. I think the 180 degree thermostat is a good idea since you are in there anyway.

I also know that some cars seem to habitually run hot and a radiator upgrade may not be a bad idea with or without the Roe. For instance, we were doing a long spirited mountain run and we had a Gen 1 get hot and split a radiator hose, a '96 get hot enough that it had to be shut down and my Roe '01 never got even close to being hot. As Dave mentioned, if you upgrade the radiator you also may need to modify your airbox and some aftermarket boxes won't work at all.

--- Ken

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you get a aluminum radiator, get the lower Tstat, and for a 97gts you will need a new fan kit. I have the Ron davis and upgraded fan. I run at 190* all day long

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do I need to upgrade the fan? My stock one cools the car down Ok now.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why do I need to upgrade the fan? My stock one cools the car down Ok now.
98+ have larger fans, I was told by a tech and Jon B that it would be needed to the most out of the radiator. Kind of like adding a s/c and not getting a tune

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I find a newer fan at a reasonable cost?

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my Gen 1 with the Roe S/C in Phoenix in the summer....had to have the Ron Davis racing radiator to drive the car in summer 110 degree + days. I recommend it highly. With my Gen 3 and a Paxton, stock radiator with no change in stock thermostat, and on 110 degree+ days with the air, absolutely no problems.....

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Click on the Marketplace tab at the top of this site. There are several vendors to choose from.

I seem to recall they are in the $175 range.

I look at ebay daily for Viper parts.

Rarely see the fans.

All the ones I've seen are $400+. Ebay didn't turn up any deals either. For $400 I could buy an aftermarket fan that would outperform the stocker and save me a ton of $$$.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96