Roe Supercharger or Extreme Nitrous System???

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am really torn between a Roe Setup or putting together a very extravagant NX nitrous system. I am avid at carshows and like having a nice car that has looks, but awes people with it's functional performance. I will not be racing this car. What do you all think would be better; a Roe Supercharger or a extravagant nitrous setup.

By extravagent Nitrous setup I mean 2 15LB Composite bottles, a NANO system, bottle heaters, direct port injection/dual stage, different intake manifold, NX octane series supporting gauges/nitrous management, dual bottle openers, Progressive Alcohol/**** injection, custom "show" purge system, and of course a very nice custom dash setup with for nitrous controls. The system will be hands free and setup up for absolutely NO user error.

My goal for power is 800RWHP-1000RWHP. What is the max you can do with a 99 GTS Forged Engine? Powerwise what would everyone recommend. I do like the power always on tap with a supercharger, but have had both and really don't know what I want to go for. I am 50/50. Any input is greatly appreciated.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well to start with, the power goal for either of those setups is more realistically 600-700hp.

If you are doing this for looks/shows, then go with the N2O. It will not effect driveability or reliability if you never use it. Heck, you won't even have to spend money to tune it!
The s/c is going to be more expensive and involve more mods to support it. You cannot simply run without it between shows.

So if you are only doing this for show, then why do you even have a hp goal? is it just for bragging rights?

OP
OP
Z

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well to start with, the power goal for either of those setups is more realistically 600-700hp.

If you are doing this for looks/shows, then go with the N2O. It will not effect driveability or reliability if you never use it. Heck, you won't even have to spend money to tune it!
The s/c is going to be more expensive and involve more mods to support it. You cannot simply run without it between shows.

So if you are only doing this for show, then why do you even have a hp goal? is it just for bragging rights?

Thanks for the response. The car is not strictly for show. Don't get me wrong, I'll still take it out and enjoy it. I just don't want to get too much into the track. It's really hard to keep the car pristine and you can really start spending a lot of extra money replacing/maintaining parts. I guess it is some sort or bragging rights, or more like just being able to say this car is capable of....; you said that 600-700 is more realistic, is not a good idea to try to hit over a 800RWHP? I do know what you say by realistic and feel totally comfortable with spraying to 600-700; just wanted to break over 8. I am really trying to learn the best I can about these cars and what other people have been doing. I haven't had it for all that long, but when I get back to the U.S. I am looking forward to doing something to it.

Also, when you said you don't have to tune it, do they not need to be tuned? Retard timing or anything??? Would you have to tune it for a 300 shot?

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe will get you about 600-700HP without hazzles.
You can do NX either as solo unit and you'll get about the same (maybe more) HP numbers, but your torque will go through the roof... Mine was close to 800lbs with nx and with roe about 620lbs. Quite a difference.
Or you can do both, like I have.

I like the nitorus, but its a hazzle to get them filled on weekly basis, since I drive a lot. Nowdays I use the roe and its the best thing I have ever bought for a viper. Zero issues and excellent throttle response, it can be even raced at curvy tracks... (where NX is useless)

The only reason I did NX first was money, or lack of it. If I would have had enough dough, I would have done the Roe first.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would say do both. My Roe is always a hit at car shows and still does 720 rwhp. Should be able to get over 800 with just a small shot.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^ The OP did say blower OR Nitrous

^^^^^When the bottles are empty you will wish you had a blower...Its like having nitrous 24/7....The blower can have some bling factor if desired as well...and that sound you will get....Supercharge it...Its a no brainer...Al

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe that would be the best thing, still shoot for the blower but get a low scale N20 setup. The big torque numbers with the nitrous are very impressive! I'll bet it is a real kick in the pants when you hit it. With all that torque how was traction while spraying. Is is always bad enough to instantly break you lose and spin you out. Should you run DRs while spraying or should street tires be ok.

I still have to sell a lot of Corvette parts to get extra money for the N20 or blower. I can just peice together a really nice nitrous system throughout the course of time and have something now compaired to waiting for the blower; which I almost think might be worth it.

What kind of numbers can you put down with a Roe blower w/ 12# of boost?

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd suggest the ROE blower, especially if you are doing car shows. If you get a polished ROE with the tubes, etc., powder coated to match valve covers, etc. and some Accufab TB's your engine will be the talk of the show. The ROE kits look AWSOME when cleaned and polished.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The car is not strictly for show. Don't get me wrong, I'll still take it out and enjoy it. I just don't want to get too much into the track. It's really hard to keep the car pristine and you can really start spending a lot of extra money replacing/maintaining parts. I guess it is some sort or bragging rights, or more like just being able to say this car is capable of....; you said that 600-700 is more realistic, is not a good idea to try to hit over a 800RWHP? I do know what you say by realistic and feel totally comfortable with spraying to 600-700; just wanted to break over 8. I am really trying to learn the best I can about these cars and what other people have been doing. I haven't had it for all that long, but when I get back to the U.S. I am looking forward to doing something to it.

Also, when you said you don't have to tune it, do they not need to be tuned? Retard timing or anything??? Would you have to tune it for a 300 shot?
Like I said in my first post, the Roe will require other supporting mods that will add more to the project.

I say 600-700 is more realistic because you don't really sound like you are into modding for power, just more for show. If you really want to get up to 800, it is possible with the Roe, or even nitrous for that matter. But there is going to be a lot more $$ and work and tuning involved. You will be upgrading the entire car to get those #s - heads, cam, drivetrain, exhaust, intake, etc. You will be pushing the limits of the system and the parts. Things will start to break, and it will be expensive.

I said you won't have to tune for the N2O because if it is all for show, then you will never actually use it, so there will be no need to tune your car for it.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, you may want to just plan on getting the NX setup for now since Roe is not selling any s/c kits right now anyway.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have headers or an exhaust system? You should really start there, but like other are saying, you can't go wrong with a Roe. Plus Roe's loves nitrous. I think you saw my setup in the other thread :D

OP
OP
Z

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like I said in my first post, the Roe will require other supporting mods that will add more to the project.

I say 600-700 is more realistic because you don't really sound like you are into modding for power, just more for show. If you really want to get up to 800, it is possible with the Roe, or even nitrous for that matter. But there is going to be a lot more $$ and work and tuning involved. You will be upgrading the entire car to get those #s - heads, cam, drivetrain, exhaust, intake, etc. You will be pushing the limits of the system and the parts. Things will start to break, and it will be expensive.

I said you won't have to tune for the N2O because if it is all for show, then you will never actually use it, so there will be no need to tune your car for it.

I am going for power, I will not be a poser that just has stuff for looks, there is nothing worse than that. I know all involved with upgrading for certain things, just not too familiar with the Vipers. I can tell you all that would have to be done for any setup generation of Corvette, especially the C4, C5, C6 Vettes. I understand what you were meaning with the tuning and know what I will have to do. I just didn't know if there was something to these engines that I didn't know about. I even heard something about someone saying propane, but didn't know if that was a joke. One good thing is that the car just had hardened output shafts put in just before I got it. 1 less thing to do.

BTW, you may want to just plan on getting the NX setup for now since Roe is not selling any s/c kits right now anyway.

I will probably do that. I seen the thread that said the price is going up because they aren't making them right now. I have really bummed out. Figures, right when I am wanting to get one the price jumps up, but oh well. Nitrous will do for now and later down the road I can get a blower. I really wish they had a common procharger setup for the Vipers.

Do you have headers or an exhaust system? You should really start there, but like other are saying, you can't go wrong with a Roe. Plus Roe's loves nitrous. I think you saw my setup in the other thread :D

I have a Borla Exhaust, not sure on what kind of borla, but know it is really loud so it is pretty free flowing. The car also has the cats eliminated. No headers yet. I was wanting to do headers and know they will add to the total package with a power adder. I was looking at a set of belenger headers, but was just waiting to come across a good price on a used set. What is the biggest shot you would recommend that a Roe blower could take?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am really torn between a Roe Setup or putting together a very extravagant NX nitrous system. I am avid at carshows and like having a nice car that has looks, but awes people with it's functional performance. I will not be racing this car. What do you all think would be better; a Roe Supercharger or a extravagant nitrous setup.

By extravagent Nitrous setup I mean 2 15LB Composite bottles, a NANO system, bottle heaters, direct port injection/dual stage, different intake manifold, NX octane series supporting gauges/nitrous management, dual bottle openers, Progressive Alcohol/**** injection, custom "show" purge system, and of course a very nice custom dash setup with for nitrous controls. The system will be hands free and setup up for absolutely NO user error.

My goal for power is 800RWHP-1000RWHP. What is the max you can do with a 99 GTS Forged Engine? Powerwise what would everyone recommend. I do like the power always on tap with a supercharger, but have had both and really don't know what I want to go for. I am 50/50. Any input is greatly appreciated.

With a dual stage nitrous set up you can make 800hp/1000 ft lbs. You will need the normal supporting parts (exhausts/headers/rockers/vec) and some tuning time. A good a/f logging system will keep you safe.

OP
OP
Z

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do you all think about the NX progressive Nitrous Syetems? I am leaning towards the Nitrous right now and considering the Progressive system. NX's Lightning series solinoids are designed to run with their progressive controller and not burn out. You can put in pills for a 300 shot and only set the car for 200 if you wanted. This would also be nice as to not changing the jets in the distrobution blocks whenever you want to run something different. Is anyone familiar with this system or have ran it before?

Jerry Colpitts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:You can put bottles onto any car and at car shows you see lots and lots of bottles.....Whoopee!!!!!! But only Viper Engines can have a Roe Blower.....You will stand out at the Car Show....And Win!!!!!!:2tu:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you all think about the NX progressive Nitrous Syetems? I am leaning towards the Nitrous right now and considering the Progressive system. NX's Lightning series solinoids are designed to run with their progressive controller and not burn out. You can put in pills for a 300 shot and only set the car for 200 if you wanted. This would also be nice as to not changing the jets in the distrobution blocks whenever you want to run something different. Is anyone familiar with this system or have ran it before?

You will need progressive to limit wheel spin. You are not going to get 300 hp to the rear wheels with a single solenoid. The current solenoids limit out at about 200 hp when you consider the losses in the system.

OP
OP
Z

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will need progressive to limit wheel spin. You are not going to get 300 hp to the rear wheels with a single solenoid. The current solenoids limit out at about 200 hp when you consider the losses in the system.

What kind of solenoid do you recommend, do you know if NX makes one that will be able to hold a 300 shot? What kind of losses in the system are you refering to?

OP
OP
Z

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am 1 step closer to the progressive direct port nitrous system. I got the Hennessy Custom Intake Manifold that was being sold on ebay for their clearance....Starting to get excited

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am really torn between a Roe Setup or putting together a very extravagant NX nitrous system. .

Opinions needed eh?

For show and tell, the nitrous system will have a better GAWK factor with great looking bottles in the back and chromed selenoids, mounts, and lines for up front under the hood. The Viper motor is one of the best looking out there, I think better looking than a blower stuck on top.

In the end, I would wager you could tune for more power with the Nitrox than the blower. You'll get a bunch or opinions on which is capable of more power....you'll just have to **** through'm.

But I vote for the Nitrox. And you could add several custom touches to really make it 'shine' at the shows. In fact, plumb the intake for 10 nozzles and go direct with stainless tubing for some real show power.

Good luck

OP
OP
Z

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Opinions needed eh?

For show and tell, the nitrous system will have a better GAWK factor with great looking bottles in the back and chromed selenoids, mounts, and lines for up front under the hood. The Viper motor is one of the best looking out there, I think better looking than a blower stuck on top.

In the end, I would wager you could tune for more power with the Nitrox than the blower. You'll get a bunch or opinions on which is capable of more power....you'll just have to **** through'm.

But I vote for the Nitrox. And you could add several custom touches to really make it 'shine' at the shows. In fact, plumb the intake for 10 nozzles and go direct with stainless tubing for some real show power.

Good luck

That's exactly what I am going to do. I just bought a Hennessy Sheet metal intake manifold and will put a direct port setup on it. I agree that the Nitrous is the way to go at carshows, thanks for the reply!

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's exactly what I am going to do. I just bought a Hennessy Sheet metal intake manifold and will put a direct port setup on it. I agree that the Nitrous is the way to go at carshows, thanks for the reply!

Oh man.... a custom Hogan intake and direct port.....that will be a show stopper, and will make great power numbers too boot.

You can also dress up the interior with various lite/buttons in reference to controlling the nitrous, i.e. LED switches for the bottle heater(s), bottle opener, arming switch.

I plan on picking up the NOS Launcher Progressive Controller for ultimate Nitrox control. It has a 3.5" screen to show programming parameters and log data from a run (AFR, RPM, % flow). Check it out [media]http://www.holley.com/data/products/pictures/large15975NOS.jpg[/media]

Just be careful about 'too much' bling on the interior with the lights/switches....it is easy to go too far and end up with rice:omg:

Goodluck and most of all HAVE FUN !

Neal

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960