roller rockers/pushrods???

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I contemplating installing a set of roller rockers (maybe pushrods) on my 98. I have never performed head work on a car before this. I have a 98 shop manual, but have not looked in the book yet. Is this something I can do in my garage and will special tools be needed?

Also which roller rockers should I get (would like to get shaft mounted)?

And will pushrods help or be necessary?

My plan is to just get a better air intake, (maybe throttle bodies, but not sure if there is a benefit), and a tune.

I currently have high flow cats, a corsa exhaust, smooth tubes and K&N filters.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really depends how mechanically inclined you are. Personally I would have spent hours scouring through the shop manual long before, I asked any questions. Here's the other thing, the factory rockers are non adjustable, so the service manual is only going to give you a glimpse of what needs to be done. Many might disagree however you should check pushrod length with the new rockers as well as wear and tear. Ensure that your current pushrods are not bent. New rockers should also be checked for interference, even if they are made to fit your vehicle.

I recommend you get a book that describes how to degree a cam, even if your not going to degree a cam. This will give you an understanding of how and why of what to look for in your valve train. Mopar performance may have such a book on V8's. Essentially the same thing.

Last edited:

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesel seem to have the reputation for the best, but for the money difference T&D will do just fine. Stock push rods are known to flex at higher RPMs so I would look at upgrading while doing the rockers. I would buy a push rod length checker to ensure the proper length rods. You can search the internet on ways to ensure proper rocker geometry by using a marker on the valve tips. Preload on Jesels is 1 1/2 turns at 0 lash, but I'm not so sure about T&Ds.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't Installed them but have run Into Issues with geometry not being right with a rocker/girdle change. I wrench some on my car but cam/lifter/rod/rocker geometry Is beyond my knowledge base.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so you know, Jesel is known to make some of the best Valve train components out there. I ordered my Striker heads with the Jesel upgrade because I didn't want any issues. When I test fit up the heads I noticed that the rockers were not centered directly over the valve stems. I'm sure most shops would slap them on and not give it a second thought. I sent them back to Jesel with measurements, etc. They sent them back and they still weren't perfect, I had to do additional machine work to get them dead on. If it's aftermarket, expect issues. If you don't know what to look for, you'll find out later when your upgrade destroys your engine. None of it's rocket science, it's just check and re-check everything 10 times over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960