Ron Adee and John Myrick win One Lap of America

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Myrick, who many of you may recognize from the forum was the co-driver of the winning One Lap car. Of course it was a MTI Z07, but I thought some of you might be interested in the fact that one of the members was part of this winning team. The Factory back Viper came in 3rd behind DRM Z06.

1 2 chev MTI Z-07 SSGT1 6590
Ronald Adee, John Myrick
2 4 Chevy Corvette Z06 SSGT1 6525
John Boos, Ronald Marks
3 1 Dodge Viper SSGT1 6515
David Zelkowski, Brian Smith
4 3 RUF RGT SSGT1 6415
Gary Church, Paul Gerrard
5 8 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo SSGT1 6380
Mark DaVia, Chuck Veth

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might remember that Ron Adee won this event in his Viper GTS a few years back and has been a long time VCA member!

Congrats guys!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were any of the top 5 stock???I remember a stock Viper winning before....Was the Viper that came in 3 the one with the broken power steering bracket? Congrats to Ron and John...Yet another American car wins the One Lap....

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/History/2002/OneLap2002.htm
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/History/2001/OneLap2001.htm

Viper that finished #3 was stock SRT/10 but it's not the one with the broken p/s bracket. That one was Car #6 of Alan Modzelewski, Tom Atherton.
The last year or two the car that won was a stock ACR.

Wonder if PVO could enter the CC next year to balance to the highly modified cars that are being entered these days.

Were any of the top 5 stock???I remember a stock Viper winning before....Was the Viper that came in 3 the one with the broken power steering bracket? Congrats to Ron and John...Yet another American car wins the One Lap....

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was fun to read about each day on the Car & Driver website.

But it was disappointing that they dropped the drag racing, due to bad rain, and that the worse rain before, thrashed up a good many cars.

But good racing overall, and congrats to the winners! :laugh:

-Dean.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/History/2002/OneLap2002.htm
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/History/2001/OneLap2001.htm

Viper that finished #3 was stock SRT/10 but it's not the one with the broken p/s bracket. That one was Car #6 of Alan Modzelewski, Tom Atherton.
The last year or two the car that won was a stock ACR.

Wonder if PVO could enter the CC next year to balance to the highly modified cars that are being entered these days.

Gee thats funny when I was around David Z. the PVO engine guy who was the co driver. Someone asked him what was the HP. He said 590 HP with no cats also. I looked puzzled when I heard that. That ain't stock, also the ACR had engine work also that was up to 600 HP. Believe me there was nothing to stock in any of the top 10 finishing cars (I think the ZR1 was stock). Even the PVO entried SRT4 had 280 something HP and shooting out flames.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was the 2000 one lap where a red stock Viper won....I think it was a GTS with ACR shocks not a stock ACR if my memory hasnt got to ****...

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Gee, About 20 of us spent half a day autocrossing the same Red ACR that won the 2001 Michelin One Lap of America and a 2002 RT/10 with abs to compare the two. It beat out a Viper in the 2001 One Lap that had many more mods than this ACR.

The article mentions the mods on other cars that year, but the ACR package is the only thing documented on the 2001 Winner. Check the article at:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=3313&page_number=2

There it is right there:
You must be registered for see images

And here it is without the stickers at our drive day:
65JeffPvo-med.jpg

This ACR was the "Test" car for the Daytona Edition that was never released(red with white stripes) that became the F.E.. When we drove it (after the 2001 1 lap competition) it drove bone stock, sounded bone stock, even had Pilot Sports on it. So nice of PVO to detune it for our session. Yeah, -- right.

Don't know if the SRT-10 this year being bone stock. Yes, I know PVO has test Vipers with some pretty hot things, saw one running a month ago. What color was the SRT-10 in the one lap?

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You probably are correct for the 2001 configuration but in 2002 the drivers said they had lots more Power. That looked like the same car running at the VOI drags with passengers doing consistant sub 12 passes.
The SRT was red, then red with black duct tape, then red with red duct tape. There is so much sand bagging going on at that event unless you have some high dollar engine package and advertise it for exposure for a sponsor. That would be the only way you would know about it. This truly is an event that if you come in stock configuration, your getting your fanny wupped like us. Any body interested in dropping a Super charger in there for next year contact me!!!

OP
OP
J

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to all who participated. Here is a comment from the Rippey team.

We make 600+ hp at the crank and the Viper had a higher speed than we did at the end of the IRP straight. 149 to 147. The winning MTI Z06 was spraying 90 rhwp shot of nitrous on top of its 480+ rwhp 427 and it was only 2 mph faster than the Viper (151). If anyone tries to tell you the Viper out of its PVO dept was stock, well.....
We were happy to run within 4 mph on a long straight of the MTI 427 with its juice.

-----------------
My understanding also was that the factory backed car was not stock...

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The PVO car had a CompCoupe engine installed with ported cylinder heads and stock exhaust system with the catalyst cans empty. Everyone (I think?) knows that the CompCoupe engine makes 540hp. This engine made about 560hp.

As far as the higher speed at IRP than John Boos, I would attribute that to Brian Smith's higher corner exit speed onto the straight. If you would have seen the tires of the three top cars at the end of the event, it was obvious that Brian was driving for all he was worth. We just did not have as much tread depth left to run in the rain once we got to BeaveRun.

The SRT-4 had a production engine (not massaged one bit) with the soon to come MP Stage I kit. There is no way it made 280hp (although through the course of the event the competitors thought it was making 450hp). Hell, we even staged a drag race with the Viper and let the SRT-4 win. It's all in the fun of messing with peoples heads.

Ron and John had a flawless run and deserved the win. Had we not had the off at Road America I think we would have won.

DynoDave

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on Dave... Those heads and lack of cats must have given you more than just 20 HP over the CompCoupe package. I sure hope so, I want my SRT-10 to make much more than 560 HP.

Even a win at Road America would not have been enough to claim overall victory. In the final results, the Viper team was down by 75 points. The Viper team only lost 50 points to Adee due to the off track at Road America in the rain. Even if they could have finished first at Road America that would not have been enough points to take the overall win. However, they could have finished as low as 5th place at Road America to claim second place overall instead of third.

It was an awesome event and I hope to be able to continue the friendships initiated during One Lap.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave Z.,

When you say that the SRT4 did not make 280 HP, do you mean less or more? And is this 280 we are gauging to the wheels, or flywheel?

Several people have dynoed completely stock SRT4's, and get around 225 to the wheels. With the standard 15% conversion, that's about 265 flywheel. Therefore, with the stage one kit I would expect at least an additional 15 HP. Right?

Thanks.

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT-4 with the Stage I package makes 240hp at the flywheel under our standard dyno test conditions. The Stage I package has not been run on a chassis dyno so I don't know what kind of numbers will be produced there.

All temperatures (coolant, oil, inlet air) and humidity are strictly controlled in our test cells unlike the chassis dyno. All output numbers are measured after the temperatures have stabilized. A typical power run takes about 20 minutes so things like the intake manifold and exhaust system temperature may be quite a bit higher than you would see on a chassis dyno and that will influence output. We typically see higher exhaust backpressure in the test cell than the vehicle because there's no airflow over the system to carry away the heat so the exhaust gases will stay expanded and this will reduce observed output.

Disclaimer: Your output may vary.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21