Rough starts

DylanGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lately my Viper (96 GTS) has been starting a little rough. It takes about 2-3 tries and then it will finally start up. After starting up it idles a little rough and then works itself out.

I'm going to first add some fuel injector cleaner. If that doesn't help I'll replace the fuel filter, sparkplugs and wires.

Anyone have any advice on what to do or does this sound like the proper way to solve this problem?

OP
OP
D

DylanGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh and I just replaced the battery last fall and the car has been on the battery tender.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you key on... you hear the fuel pump right? That's the prime up of the fuel pressure. If the check valve is getting old, it's possbile you aren't achieving proper start up pressure.

One way to test is to key on, wait the 4 secs for the pump to stop, key off, key back on for another 4 sec prime, key off, key back on and then crank right as the prime ends. If it starts right up, it's probably the check valve in the fuel line / pump module.

This can be tested with a fuel pressure guage. It should hold pressure for several minutes after prime, but if the pressure bleeds down very quickly the check valve is shot. This won't hurt the vehicle running, but it will hurt quick starts.

OP
OP
D

DylanGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah fuel pump is coming on. That was the first thing I listened for. I'll try the on/off recommendation when I get home from work.

DaytonaViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had similar problems with my 96gts, including hesitation during acceleration. Changed plugs and wires......problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc