RSI Twin Turbo, F16 Jet and 208 mph

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As many of you know, Racing Solutions (www.racingsolutionsltd.com) just recently built me a badass 1,478 rwhp twin turbo beast. Their task was to build a street car capable of making crazy HP while at the same time being able to maintain 100% street characteristics. I've now had my car for several weeks and can honestly say, they surpassed my expectations in every way! This car kicks ass and RSI did an amazing job. The car has the following mods:

Twin 76 mm turbo's on a custom built RSI TT kit (includes all accessories such as twin Tial WG's and twin Tial BOV's, all piping, etc...)
Custom RSI fuel system
Custom RSI front mount intercooler
Greg Good cylinder heads (the best of the best in these heads, including inconel valves, crazy porting/polishing, etc..., thanks Greg, you are the man!!!)
G-Force transmission
Mark Williams rear end
AEM
Stoptech brakes
I-Forged wheels
etc...

Anyhow, just recently, Gerald at RSI called me and asked me what I thought about having the opportunity to race my car against an F-16 figher jet at Cannon AFB in NM. I remembered that Albert Chlouber drove a 900 rwhp mamba TT built by RSI last year at this same event and had a blast, so I said, "sure, why not..."

Fast forward this past Friday. My brother-in-law and I flew in to Lubbock, TX and rented a car and drove to the AFB in NM. Friday was all about doing practice runs on the runway. When we got to the AFB the NM VCA chapter was there to greet us. The guys were all great and I want to personally thank Chris (NM VCA President) for setting this event up and inviting RSI again... The runway itself is 10,000 ft. long. We start at the 1,000 ft. mark and go WOT for just under 4,000 ft. That leaves another 4,000 ft. to stop (the last 1,000 ft. are not accesible b/c their are landing cables across the runway).

We came to the race running 12 psi and Pirelli street tires. I was told that we had to run street tires, no drag radials allowed... The plan for the event was for an F16 with no afterburner to run, a "stock" Viper to run, then a Viper motorcycle, an F16 on full afterburner and finally my "modified Viper". Well, the "stock" Viper that showed up was on drag radials and had a Paxton S/C making 901 rwhp. We were running low boost and only making about 980 rwhp or so, not to mention we were on bonafied street tires.

The plan was to go all out against an F-16 on full afterburner for approximately 3/4 mile. The purpose of the first practice run was to learn the runway and learn what the car is like at high speed. The first practice run I hit 195 mph. I knew the car had more in it at the same boost so I gave it another go...on the second pass, the speedometer pegged past 200 mph. The car was VERY stable at this speed and felt rock solid. Unfortunately Brian "Lag" Walski (i.e. the F16 pilot that was there to make sure we didn't cause any problems on the base...:)) said that they runway was closed after our second practice run. So, after only two practice runs, we called it a day...

The second day, the first thing I noticed was the STIFF wind. There were 35 mph winds all day and I knew that if we ran into the wind, the car would not go as fast. Sure enough, when the time came to race the jet, they lined us up on the runway racing INTO the wind. At that point, I knew that I would have to turn up the boost to get 200+ mph by the end of the run. I cranked the boost controller to 14.5 psi and decided to see how that amount of power would feel on street tires. The first to go was an F16 with no afterburner, it covered the distance in 19.5 seconds. Second to go was the "stock Viper" which did 175 mph and 19.x seconds into the wind (to be fair, he missed 5th gear and had to put it back in gear a few times). The motorcycle started 1,000 ft. ahead of the cars (he was uncomfortable going the same distance with that type of wind) and did 150 mph in about 17.x seconds. Finally, the F16 on full afterburner came up, she (Carrie "Duke" Ellis) clicked off a 16.5 second run. Finally, it was my turn. I launched the car nice and easy and immediately spun through first, second and third. When I hit fourth, it was bye bye...the spin was controlable and the car pulled HARD. I hit fifth and hung on. I rung 5th gear out until I hit my rev limiter. I decided at that point there was not enough room/time to try 6th (i'm not sure exactly where I hit limiter but it was close to the end) so I just stayed on the limiter through the finish line. Final results - 16.33 seconds and 208 mph!!!!!!!! The car won, again... :)

I have a video of the run, but for some reason my software is only capturing the video, but not the audio. I will try to work on it to figure out why the audio is not working. In the meantime, here are a few pics of the event and of the car.

Thanks to RSI - you guys built one badass machine, nothing like being able to do multiple 200 mph runs and have the car run like a champ over and over and over. I LOVE MY CAR, THANK YOU!

Thanks to Justin Nenni of Tuning Concepts. You did a great job with the tune, nothing like a sustained 5th gear pull to rev limiter to make sure the tune is spot on! :)

Thanks to Greg Good, the combo is only as good as the heads, and my heads are the BEST OF THE BEST.

You must be registered for see images

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow....Faster than an F-16 on afterburner!?!? GREAT job. What do you think your times would have looked like on DRs?

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats on the race.Who was driving the other car that missed a gear????
Max

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Peter.........Congratulations on another great victory for the Viper community. Your car looks, runs and sounds totally awesome. Also, congrats to RSI whose TT Vipers have been victorious two times in a row over the Viper F-16 Jet!!! Chris Thompson and the New Mexico VCA really know how to organize a great event. Again, great job guys!!

David Barbee

OP
OP
H

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kcobean - that's a tough call, i'm not sure how much quicker it would have been but I can guarantee you it would have been much quicker. I got a lot of wheel spin in 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Max - he was a local NM guy, a great person, his name is Jim Baughman

David - wish you were there bud, we had a blast!

Peter

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know who was flying the jet but a clean F-16 Blk 30
Bi is doing about 150+ mph in 1000 feet in burner and at
the 10,000 foot mark about 550. I am flying with a center
line tank and bombs all week but I will check some numbers.

Herc

OP
OP
H

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The F16 pilot was Carrie "Duke" Ellis and she was a class act. On full afterburner, she was in the air before the 2,000 ft. mark. You are correct, on full afterburner it's doing about 550 mph at 10,000 ft.

Video will be edited and posted tonight guys, thanks!

Peter

OP
OP
H

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George - thanks buddy, you were a gracious "host" to us "out of towners". We found the hotel perfectly and had a great nights rest after being in the sun all day. The video will be up either tonight or tomorrow!!!
Thanks!
Peter

Abq Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. I agree that Chris does a great job as our NM Viper club president.

2. I also agree with the F-16 figures.
With a centerline drop tank (block 40), I could take off from Albuquerque (5,353 feet above sea level), and have 450 knots (515+ mph) by the end of the runway. At what point does it stop being a race ?

3. The important thing is. everyone had a good time.

:usa: :2tu:

C.Thomson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. These F-16 events are the best, but I could not do it without the help from LAG at Cannon AFB, Gerald at Racing Solutions and my club members in New Mexico.

Peter's car is one amazing machine! I was timing at the end of the run and that thing was just a blurr.

The DLM car of Jim Baughman's is no slouch either, and makes an incredible sound at max power and about 190mph!

Like Bill said, once that Jet gets in the air its pretty much over. We had a stiff headwind, and the Jet was up in a hurry. It took all the horsepower in Peter's beast to get the time he did. Regardless, it is a really good time and the Base treats us like VIP's the whole time.

Thanks again to everyone that attended, and especially to Cannon Air Force Base. They promised that we get to do again next year.

OP
OP
H

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simms and George, thanks guys, the car is a BLAST, thanks to RSI for building this amazing machine and thanks to Justin Nenni of Tuning Concepts for tuning it!
Peter

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now if only we could do such a thing here in The Netherlands where we also have F-16's and Vipers :p ...

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hummmm! Gives me some thoughts on what I could do . . .!!

Great video and congrats on upholding the tradition. :2tu:

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice video.

I didn't get very close due to being there late.

I think I may be in your picture.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know who was flying the jet but a clean F-16 Blk 30
Bi is doing about 150+ mph in 1000 feet in burner and at
the 10,000 foot mark about 550. I am flying with a center
line tank and bombs all week but I will check some numbers.

Herc

I know a retired F16 pilot who says the F16 will hit 1200+ mph in less than a minute, at full power (25,000 pounds of thrust, or about 50,000 horsepower).

I'm wondering how quickly the F22 will accelerate, since it has a better thrust to weight ratio than the F16...

F16 weighs 26,000 pounds loaded, with 25,000 pounds of thrust (newer models are around 28,000 pounds thrust)

F22 weighs 60,000 pounds loaded, but has at least 78,000 pounds of thrust using two engines (it's maximum thrust is classified)

I think it would be fun to do "roll on races" with the jet...have the jet fly at near stall speed, low to the ground (around 160 mph), next to the car going 160, and have both go all out for a half mile or so. It would be tricky to do, but cool! Paolo says his turbo car's best performance is at 150+!