RT/10 at age 21 too early?

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just curious to get all your opinions on this, since you guys have a lot more experience than me. Okay, I'm only 19 right now, but I'm soon graduating tech school with a degree in Computer Aided Drafting and Design, and have a job lined up at a local Civil Engineering firm. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to save up for 2 years and buy a '94 or '95 RT/10 (gotta have the sidepipes!!), or should I wait? I've seen a few really nice cars in great condition with 11,000 or so miles, and they ranged from 32-35k. In my mind the only problem would be insurance on a 10 cylinder super car that is owned by a 21 year old. I've craved one of these cars since I was in fourth grade and was wondering if I should ****** one up a.s.a.p., or give it a few years. Hopefully one day the dreams will become realities....

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake Dreams,
I bought my first Viper when I was 21 and I had a blast! Unfourtunately I got my first viper stolen and was totaled and had to buy an new one. If I were you I would wait bought others would have things probaly to say about it. I have put a lot of money into the car and sometimes find it hard to ever get it back out of it.

Bill

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my first viper at 23. Insurance wasn't too bad. Just remember to respect the snake.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its never to early or too late. Why not . . . You only live twice. I was young when I got mine. Insurance will be not too bad if your driving record is good. Mine is not.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
at age 32 (in 1999), i got a 96 RT/10. had no points on my record, no claims, and excellent credit. lived out in the boonies. got comprehensive w/ $500 deduc. for $2500/yr. i moved to downtown KC a month later though and insurance went up to $10,000/yr. none of the insurance companies cared of course that the car was in a locked garage that had surveillance cameras and 24/7/365 monitoring. i decided to get rid of the Viper. :(

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tough call. I bought a Porsche 935 when I was 21 and have owned several cool cars along the way. I am now 28 and will own my first Viper within the next couple of days.

My advice is if you need to 'save up' for the car, then don't go for the snake this early in the game. These cars are entirely impractical and are great toys, obsessions, hobbies (insert non-existential word of choice).

If you are saving up for anything, buy yourself some real estate or some other non-depreciating asset. The Viper will be all the sweeter when the time comes when you won't be scratching for change in the couch. The last thing you want, and I speak from experience, is to resent your prize posession due to finances. The experience is easily spoiled.

I mean no disrespect and you sound like you are well on your way. Good luck!

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just curious to get all your opinions on this, since you guys have a lot more experience than me. Okay, I'm only 19 right now, but I'm soon graduating tech school with a degree in Computer Aided Drafting and Design, and have a job lined up at a local Civil Engineering firm. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to save up for 2 years and buy a '94 or '95 RT/10 (gotta have the sidepipes!!), or should I wait? I've seen a few really nice cars in great condition with 11,000 or so miles, and they ranged from 32-35k. In my mind the only problem would be insurance on a 10 cylinder super car that is owned by a 21 year old. I've craved one of these cars since I was in fourth grade and was wondering if I should ****** one up a.s.a.p., or give it a few years. Hopefully one day the dreams will become realities....

I'm 18 and have an '01 GTS. I say get one ASAP.

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 28, and getting my first Viper next month. At 22, I bought my first beemer, and was really excited to have a car that I enjoyed that none of my peers could touch. I say that you should go for it if attaining one is a passion of yours - but first weigh all the drawbacks like insurance, mods, expense to maintain, etc. To find a good Gen. 1 at around 32-35K might be tough, keep that in mind as well. I bought my '94 for more than that range, but it only had 8K miles on it.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine at 25 and my insurance was less than 1200/year (500 deduct, live in los angeles). That includes my dad, mom and at the time 22 year old sister. This is not insurance for a second car, it was listed as a primary vehicle because my dads car is on another policy. I only drive it 2-3000 miles a year though.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with getting a Viper at 21, providing you have a garage to keep it in. Do you really want those PA winters aging your investment?

Temple30

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im 24, Just bought my 2nd 02 rt/10 2 months ago. Save up and get one. You are only going to live once!!!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh just get it! You could get hit by a truck next year and then what? Life is to short. Just don't be an a*shol*, and keep everything else in perspective.

AC

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
21 isn't too young. I'm 29, and picked it up 5 months ago. If you have alot of self control and are responsible then sure; if not, don't do it. The car is waaaaay too fast for a friday night cowboy.

Go Hogs Go!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was 22 when I bought my first GTS. If I were you, I would not buy one unless you already have a daily driver. Those Gen I RT's can be a pain during bad weather, and maintenece is not cheap. You really have to look after these cars. People love to hang all over them, and they will get the crap knocked out of them if left in a parking lot day after day. So in closing, buy a Festiva and get the Viper.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you have all your ducks in a row, why not? I would make investments and a house, school, etc first... The Viper is going to be more enjoyable if it isn't a financial burden. I have a feeling you'll probably get a girl pregnant and won't have to worry about the Viper... :laugh:

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been plenty of posts before (PLENTY) debating the whole "young Viper owner" issue. Also plenty of posts along the lines of "should I get one?" I'd recommend doing a search and checking them out.

My $.02, and for the record I'm 23:
-If you have any high interest debt, pay that first

-If you're going to be staying where you are for more than five or so years, probably best to buy a house first, even if it's just a small one

-Would STRONGLY recommend you have a garage

-Would recommend you have another car for rainy days

-Go Hogs Go made some good points above

-You are right that there's plenty of Gen I cars in excellent condition. I am quite happy with my Gen I.

-It is possible to get reasonable insurance, especially if it's your second car (I pay under $1k/year)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to be able to afford to have the car properly maintained. It not like an old chevy, that if something breaks, you can go down to pep boys, buy the part and fix it yourself. Or like Hondas that never break down. If keeping the car running like new is going to strap you, hold off till your income improve. you'll enjoy it a lot more then. If you can afford the up keep now go for it, but be mature behind the wheel it can get you into trouble faster than any other car out there.

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am now 22 and got my first viper a few months back at the age of 21. all i can say is if you can swing it now, GO FOR IT!! not that a viper is ever "not fun" to have, but at this young age it is ........, well i don't even have words to describe it. insurance really isn't that bad, only a $400 more a yr than i paid on my cobra. live it up while u r young, and make wise decisions behinde the wheel of your new snake so that you can continue living it up for years to come. Just remember the car is only as fast as you drive it, and never drive over your head/ beyond your ability, and u will be just fine. best of luck. keep us all posted as to your decision.
ryan

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 19. Just bought a 1999 Silver RT/10 two weeks ago. My first car was a Mustang GT vert I bought 9 months ago once my business started to take off.

Bottomline here - GO FOR IT =D. Try to make sure to pay this thing off within 24 months though. Thats my golden rule for any car. I paid the mustang off within 9 months, and thats why I bought the Viper (just finished paying for the mustang). I'm hoping to have the Viper paid off 13 months from now.

The only thing better than living the American dream, is living the American dream when you are young! (No offense to the old guys on here *cowers in a corner*)

OP
OP
S

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I did not expect close to this many replies. To answer a few of your questions: don't worry Chuck, I will definitely have a daily driver and a house with a garage before I even consider the Viper. I won't let it ever see rain, or temperatures below 60. I respect these cars way too much for something like that to happen. As of right now, my record is clean, and I'm not in any massive debt. I should be okay after I save up some cash. As for the power, I know what cars can do when you think you're invincible. I'm not new to high horsepower, I've driven a 2001 Trans Am WS6 6-speed. Granted that it's no Viper, but it's still pretty quick. I just feel that I need to own one of these cars to make my life complete. Anyone else have that feeling? Thanks for all the replies, you guys have been great, and I will definitely be hanging out here until I buy one(and I will be buying one!! :D ), but I guess it will be when I'm ready. Thanks again!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sound like your head is kinda on straight. A couple qualifiers, make sure you OWN the house, not just renting to get a garage. otherwise your economic priorities are messed up. And a WS6 Trans Am is not a Viper, you can punch a WS6 going around a corner, the rear end will kick out, you can steer into it and light'em up as you come out of the corner. Try that in a Viper and you will find yourself in low earth orbit going backwards. Put your economic priorities in order first...buy a house, in this economic climate with mortgage rates as low as they still are, it could secure your fuure for a long time. And when you get that Viper, remember, never get on it unless you are pointed in a straight line, and if it is wet out at all, just don't get on it period.

OP
OP
S

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Lee, I plan on actually owning a house before considering the Viper. I know that the WS6 is no Viper, how many cars can actually compare? NONE!! I'll remember what you said about the ass end sliding out if I ever decide I want to romp on it. Thanks again.

OP
OP
S

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I wanted to ask you guys another question, but forgot. Do you know how many of the white w/blue stripe 1996 RT/10's were made? Wasn't it like 300-something? I was just curious because I see one driving around here all the time and it is truly a beautiful car.

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on actually owning a house before considering the Viper.

Why bother? Life is too short, and tomorrow could be your last. By the time you have the means to afford one, you would be like 60 years old.

Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on actually owning a house before considering the Viper.

Why bother? Life is too short, and tomorrow could be your last. By the time you have the means to afford one, you would be like 60 years old.

Why?? Because a house appreciates, new cars do not. I guess one could rent an appartment or live in a trailer and have a Viper if you wanted to?

Sorry I just find it somewhat comical when I see a a 80K car parked outside of a 50K house, apparment complex or trailer. I guess my priorities are a little different? :confused: For the record I'm a youngin, I'm 25yrs old.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be a ****! Gwt one now while you can use it to do what it does best... pick up ****! lol I'm younger tahn you and I've had two!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang