RT/10 Bashing by our GTS so called Brothers

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
My RT/10 is as fast as your GTS.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My RT/10 is as fast as your RT/10

Oh wait. wrong tread.

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caintz wez just all gets along
laugh.gif

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Pemberton:
Hmmmm............ I wonder if you will still pick on little Mikey when he gets his new SRT-10?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike knows how I feel Bill. He knows I'll always pick on him about that car.
smile.gif
puke.gif

As for the thread. I myself have never felt negatively about the RT/10. I've had 3 GTS's but only out of personal preference. The RT/10 is just as much Viper as the GTS! It's an awesome car!! I just prefer the GTS. When speaking about my car to others, I just say I have a Viper. Not a GTS or an RT/10.........unless I'm asked.
smile.gif
Now does this friction really exist (because this is the 1st I've heard of it) or are some trying to stir the ***?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dear Stevie F,

Don't worry bout Kung Fool, as we can all see he is just stirring the ***. Heck read his bio, as his interests are Hot Chicks Feet. Now I don't think he means barbecued chicken legs,so we done got us a *********** fiend here - dontcha love it. I vote for a new name :

KUNGFOOT

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being an extremely pleased owner of a 96 RT/10, I must correct Vic from the first page of this post (although your point still stands about the hp difference in 96 RT and 96 GTS - and the windows...

The 96 RT has the same aluminum suspension as the GTS, and as the first year for North America rear exit exhaust, has 415 hp vs the 92-95 400 hp...

Anyway, I have never experienced this GTS bias from any GTS owners...I must say, IF I lived in a climate where rain was even possible in the summer (God bless California) then maybe a GTS would be more useable...

But here in Calif, I love the RT!!!

Tomer

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Pemberton:
Dear Stevie F,

Don't worry bout Kung Fool, as we can all see he is just stirring the ***. Heck read his bio, as his interests are Hot Chicks Feet.

KUNGFOOT

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would anyone like baby chicken feet?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tomer:

The 96 RT has the same aluminum suspension as the GTS, and as the first year for North America rear exit exhaust, has 415 hp vs the 92-95 400 hp...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, ok, Tomer, you got me there. Someone else also emailed me about my mistake.

So when was the last of the welded pipe control arms? 1995?

S

SUN RA KAT

I struggled with the choosing of which Viper to get - the RT-10 or the GTS - until I sat in a RT-10 and verified I was much too tall even with the 2" seat lowering kit to drive it with the emergency fold up top on so I got the GTS with the 2" seat lowering kit. On nice days I envy you lucky people who are short enough to drive the RT-10 in nice, but iffy weather.

I am balding by genetics and bald by choice - my summer haircut is I shave my head. I let what I have grow back in the winter.
And I had this "condition" long before I bought a Viper.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't stand it anymore!! I am going outside right now and taking the grinder to the top so we can be done with this discussion. I wish that my top was removeable but it is not.

BTW, has anyone ever had a custom job done with a removeable hard top on a GTS?

dadsvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i tried the rt/10 on for size and found i kind of poked out the top. i was disappointed. then the gts came along and i didn't. i live in an area of twisty roads with many accidents and just felt a bit more secure with the top over my head. i love the spoiler and the lines of the GTS but must admit i miss the opportunity for open air cruising on the many beautiful days we have here in Santa Cruz by the sea... so my preference has to do somewhat with this hang up and does not diminish my respect for all vipers, the best valued "production exotics" on the planet.

Jason

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As expected some of you have totally blown it out of proportion, and yet majority just made little stabs of fun at it. But my question still remains, why are there constant little lines in some posts like this for example.

Here is a little quote that took me about 30 seconds to find, and sums up my point exactly. We shall leave out the name of the person who wrote it, since there is no need to point fingers.

"yes I can believe a stock Cobra beating a stock Z06 under certain conditions. I can also believe a stock Z06 beating a stock Viper under certain conditions. But on average, a stock GTS Viper is a low-12-sec car, a stock '02 Z06 is a mid-12-sec car, and a stock '03 Cobra is a low-13-sec car. So what's your point about our beloved Vipers???"

It is subtle, almost un-noticeable, but you can spot it if you look close enough. We all know very well that an RT is without a doubt every bit as fast in the 1/4, and some may argue faster(but that is not my goal). We know they are about the same so why say a GTS Viper? I can dig up many quotes like this from many GTS owners, do you think they are all just typos?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Gee, Russ, I thought I hit the nail on the head?
dunno.gif

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic,

You are correct on the reasons for that state of mind, but I am wondering why so many Viper owners are holding on to their idea of an RT being pre 1997.

And that could bring up a whole other point, from the dyno pulls I have seen the Gen 1 vipers seem to only pull 20hp less at the wheels than the Gen 2's. Which probably means that with enough practice a stock Gen 1 can run low 12's, and basically keep up with Gen 2's.

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In chronological order

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wilddude:
I agree with you that the flames look good, seriously. The big boner mistake was
to put the fishies in the center of the hood. Distroyed the great looking flames, and
I do believe if he could get this artist to fix(remove) the dolphins, he might be able
to get 70-80K for the car. IMHO.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ M:
It is subtle, almost un-noticeable, but you can spot it if you look close enough. We all
know very well that an RT is without a doubt every bit as fast in the 1/4, and some may
argue faster(but that is not my goal). We know they are about the same so why say a
GTS Viper? I can dig up many quotes like this from many GTS owners, do you think
they are all just typos?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ViperJim:
Out in California, ('vert central), every blond surfer ***, I mean guy, has one. The top
mod is the 4" chrome cup holder, it also doubles as a,,,,, never mind.
So I say go with it,,, get an S(RT) and go west. You will be at the top of the 'vert food
chain.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that I think about it...
Maybe the RT is for the sensitive man. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Both sets of Owners look down on me... can't wait til the S<FONT size="-2">rt</FONT s>2000 appears so my little Sol can get some respect...

On a serious note though I see a difference in Attitude between RT/GTS owners at shows. I think RT owners are seeking that 60s cruise feeling and the ego stroke of being actually seen in this kind of car while the GTS owners are after that kickass race rush and self-ego-gratification of knowing they own this kind of car.

Either way, to me, its just two sides of the same pie. It how you eat that pie that makes you who you are...

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ M:
Over the past 3 years now of Viper ownership I have come to notice that there is a very distinct hint of dislike from a good many GTS owners towards the RT. This defiantly does not go for all but, there are many.

Little things always come up like a GTS can do this a GTS can do that. Never will they just use the word Viper to symbolize all our cars, instead they purposely go out of there way to make sure to implicate that ONLY a GTS can get the task done.

On the other hand I have never seen any RT/10 owners go out of there way to insult our hardtop relatives. I am wondering is this a kind of envy from the GTS guys? Or do you really believe that the GTS is that much more capable than the RT is?

PS. Mike Burnton, is going to be one of the first to come on here and tell me that I know nothing and that he is God of Vipers. And he also happens to be one of the worst culprits of RT bashing, perhaps its time to buy one Mike.

Please don't be a Mike and make this a calm discussion and not a flame topic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russ,

It's ironic that you point out that I am one of the "offenders" and suggest this should be a calm topic, but yet go out of your way to insult me. Kinda makes ya wonder.

I bought my Viper brand new. If I had wanted an RT I would have gotten one.

I guess I must have said something that bothered you in the past... oh well. Get over it. You're a big boy, and this is just an Internet message board. I am constantly amazed that people take this stuff so seriously. Maybe you need a hobby?
laugh.gif

EDIT:

Ok, I just read this whole thread and I am laughing my a$$ off. Russ, I'll humor you and come clean. You know why I say GTS when I compare cars....

1) Because if you say RT/10, there is always that "yeah but a GenI is different". There is no GenI GTS so GTS implies GenII, hence when making a point it's easier to refer to the GTS. In the future you can be assured I will refer to the SRT, so don't worry - more whining material is coming!

2) Because at the track, RT/10's are not always allowed to run as fast as the GTS's are - so when you compare track times, often it's easier to quote a GTS time since the racers tend to gravitate towards the RT

3) Because *I* owned a GTS, not an RT/10. Believe me, when I get my SRT, I'll be all about the SRT, and the slow-a$$ GenII's will just be a fading memory in my godlike car-buying history (that's a special one for you).

Furthermore, you gotta be the BIGGEST hypocrite on this board, whining about how you don't like the SRT... then go on to note "dissention in the ranks" of your Viper "brothers". Sorry, I don't feel much "brotherly love" from you Russ (not that I'd want to... I'm a hot young guy - I don't socialize with old ugly men, only hot young women). FURTHERmore, you're kinda freaking me out... seriously, I mean you're quoting posts I made in other threads. I never knew I bothered you that much that you were searching my posts and inferring things about my personality. I don't know whether to be flattered or freaked out? I've noticed this guy in an RT/10 driving by my office a few times... I swear to god I'm going to start thinking it's you stalking me. Do you drive a red RT/10? Cuz this guy drives by and is always staring in my office window when he goes by.

And before I go - if you wanna "get into it" with me, at LEAST spell my name right. If you don't, it sorta kills the chance for a meaningful argument because I'm gonna assume I'm dealing with a mongo. I know you're like a factory sponsored racer and all that... how about we meet up at the track sometime (road or drag) and let me lay the wood to you East Coast style... will that end this once and for all???
supergrin.gif

laugh.gif

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard from NON Viper owners that the RT is the Girls version, or the girlie viper.

DO I CARE???? NO I would rather have the girlie Viper than their Jetta (thats really MANLY).

Dream Machine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FUSCUCLA1:
I have heard from NON Viper owners that the RT is the Girls version, or the girlie viper.

DO I CARE???? NO I would rather have the girlie Viper than their Jetta (thats really MANLY).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think any Viper is a Girl car. I parked my Viper outside of work one day and it was amazing the amount of people that asked to see the Guy who owned the car. It was funny when my employees would reply, "There She is." Or even the times that I'm out driving and people yell out, "It's a Girl Driving."

On another note...Has anyone else noticed that Chuck is talking to himself?
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
You GTS owners ****.

Oh Yeah! You RT/10 owners ****.

My RT/10 is as fast as your GTS.

My GTS is faster than your RT/10.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

~Camille

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both have their good points. I am a fan of enclosed cocpit cars because of my race/high-po history. I want a GTS, but it's hard giving up the RT.

There is nothing like driving around on a cool 70 degree day without a cloud in the sky with the top off and the tunes up. A true roadster in the sense. Or winding through the mountains at sunset... great feeling.

However:

The GTS is the best street beast in my op. Less flex, more muscular look, and enclosed. Complete seporation from the elements. A Road-Rocket in the truest sense.

I wish my 96 had the Gen2 motor coupled with the gen1 "roadster" stuff (IE: No windows or door poppers). That was I can have a Roe blower and still take the top off
wink.gif

The SRT.... well... i'm not going there. I'll figure out how to make a retractable hard top
laugh.gif

MM

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
Of course he is. He has to. It gets lonely at the top!
laugh.gif

Chuck "I haven't lost a race to a RT/10" 97 GTS

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally, somebody I can rag on. Hey OC "I haven't lost to a RT" bring that garage queen down here anytime. You got a place to stay, a track to run and a bone stock RT/10 that's gonna whoop your Zaino'd ***.

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're imagining things. Now us ACR owners on the other hand, we look down our nose at ALL the other Vipers!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Actually, my next Viper purchase will be a Silver RT/10. That way, I can do away with the "luxury" options in my ACR like the windows, door panels, AC, etc. I really think every owner needs both models, at least I know I do!

[waiting for the day when I have two Vipers and can be like Chuck]

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Young:

[waiting for the day when I have two Vipers and can be like Chuck]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a growing club Mark. Track rats like you are always welcome, even if you only own one Viper.
laugh.gif

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Young:
You're imagining things. Now us ACR owners on the other hand, we look down our nose at ALL the other Vipers!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEAR HEAR, I'w with Mr. Young! ACR's rule. (J/K)
wink.gif

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Finally, somebody I can rag on. Hey OC "I haven't lost to a RT" bring that garage queen down here anytime. You got a place to stay, a track to run and a bone stock RT/10 that's gonna whoop your Zaino'd ***.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Musta been all that Zaino that made the GQ run 10 mph faster than your 175 mph Texas escapade.
eek.gif

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Fair enough, and for the record that quote was not from you. But you have had very similar ones, but your explanation is precise and down to the point.

As the invitation to race on the east coast there is no problem with that, however my idea of a race car is not a viper but a tube chassis door slammer. So unless you want a serious handicap match it would not be a very fair race.

PS. I hope you enjoy your SRT, but for my self the it is just another pre fab corvette with a viper drive train.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
Musta been all that Zaino that made the GQ run 10 mph faster than your 175 mph Texas escapade.
eek.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Downhill with a tailwind too??? Bring it on Garage Queenie. We might be able to find a bridge around here.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dream Machine:
On another note...Has anyone else noticed that Chuck is talking to himself?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he is. He has to. It gets lonely at the top!
laugh.gif

Chuck "I haven't lost a race to a RT/10" 97 GTS