Rubbing Issues Solved

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put on steel wool mittens...wait, whut? You'll get it when you're older...

No, I pulled my spring caps and went back to stock. I was rubbing over EVERY bump, even driving slowly, with a 7/16" drop from the caps and 1" from the springs.

For future reference for future lowerers:

19/20 wheel setup
Michelin PS2s
Front: 275/30-19 (25.6" tall tire)
Rear: 335/30-20 (28" tall tire)
Front Lowered: 1.4375" (Intrax springs and ART caps)
Rear Lowered: 1" (Intrax springs)
NO RUBBING

The extra 7/16" it was dropped in the rear made all the difference in the world. When I lose 1.2" of tire when I switch to a 25 sidewall on Nittos or Toyos, I'll put the caps back in. Hope this helps.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much does the hood contact the front when you open it with this setup? I was thinking of going straight to Nittos when I go 19/20....

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My hood just BAAAAAARELY touches the tires with the PS2 setup when I open the hood, but not enough to where I have to cut the wheels like guys with a 20/20 setup.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I thought this was gonna be something about your new girlfriend.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm a liar and a buffoon.

With 2 passengers at normal speeds on semi-bumpy roads it was a nightmare. The springs settled and the extra weight did me in. I have one finger width's clearance when the car is unoccupied, so I'm getting Toyos or Nittos tonight. That SHOULD solve it; otherwise I'm pulling the shocks again and putting the stock springs in with lowering caps.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Post some pics of your radical lowered beast!

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These were the ones from when I had zero clearance:

You must be registered for see images

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow! Fantistic looking car, and great photography, too!

The pics have kind of an erie, sci-fi look to them, which enhances the bad *** looks of the color scheme, and highlights the curvy lines of the GTS.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I pulled my spring caps and went back to stock. I was rubbing over EVERY bump, even driving slowly, with a 7/16" drop from the caps and 1" from the springs.

Front Lowered: 1.4375" (Intrax springs and ART caps)
Rear Lowered: 1" (Intrax springs)

That is a LOT of drop. When you cut coils and caps and multiply by the motion ratio of the suspension, you're really deep into the camber gain and toe curves. I hope that you have at least retorqued all your suspension bushings at the lowered levels. Additionally, you really should check and adjust the bump steer curves.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of Nittos from Discount. I couldn't find a better deal anywhere; this guy is basically hooking me up at cost ($495/tire for the rears and $288/tire for the fronts, mounted and balanced).

Rears are gonna be 345/25-20s and I went with 305/30-19s up front. I did a little digging and a lot of people are running 305+ up front on stock rims. No Man on the Alley has 315s on stock SRT rims and was recommended to do so by Bill Pemberton. Didn't find much on this board, but this thread on the Alley was useful when deciding on what size tire to go with:

Who is running 305s n the front? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of Nittos from Discount. I couldn't find a better deal anywhere; this guy is basically hooking me up at cost ($495/tire for the rears and $288/tire for the fronts, mounted and balanced).

Rears are gonna be 345/25-20s and I went with 305/30-19s up front. I did a little digging and a lot of people are running 305+ up front on stock rims. No Man on the Alley has 315s on stock SRT rims and was recommended to do so by Bill Pemberton. Didn't find much on this board, but this thread on the Alley was useful when deciding on what size tire to go with:

Who is running 305s n the front? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum

I've seen those 315's on Noman's car they look good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang