sad news...viper plant shuttered until end June.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But Bob, you traded in two cars..I believe..to get your new Viper. I could surely sell my sweet baby girl 96 and get a Gen V, but I'm too damn passionate about Vipers to do that.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traded two but still have four. Five was too many. I felt like a valet at my own house. Your just pasionate about your Gen II and,as you said in another post, you support your spouse going to law school and that is an admirable thing to do. Far more imporatnt than a car.

But Bob, you traded in two cars..I believe..to get your new Viper. I could surely sell my sweet baby girl 96 and get a Gen V, but I'm too damn passionate about Vipers to do that.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. But if one is passionate about Vipers as opposed to their particular Viper, they would care enough about the continued existence of the Viper to not bash the Gen V without ever having driven it enough to experience its potential and closely inspecting it.

There are a number of cars I like that I would never buy based on price but I would not bash them because of that. How much money someone is willing to spend on a car is a personal choice and really has nothing to do with whether the price is too high or the quality of the car. It has to do with how much money they have or their particular value sytem even if they have the money. As an example, I think the big Rolls Royce is an incredible car but my internal programming would never let me spend that kind of bread for a car.

What I see happening on this forum too frequently is posters bashing the car instead of just saying: "Beautiful car. I wish I had the coin to buy one." Some do say that and they are stand up people who I admire for their honesty.

I am reading this thread with great interest while keeping my mouth shut not to get accused of venomous (pun intended) spouting off.

Based on a very recent shopping experience, I strongly recommend that you and the VCA top brass apply the part of the statement I highlighted in your response to the Dodge dealers (for a strange reason, the car is sold as a DODGE SRT VIPER).

Based on what I experience, none of the dealers I dealt with are interested in survival of Viper united as a group. Good or bad dealers, they all do their own thing, selling what they have on the floor. There is absolutely no notion about just pushing all of the Vipers to reduce the inventory which in my own, apparently very naïve thinking would help all of the dealers.

If you want a Viper another dealer has, none of the dealers will lift a finger to make it happen. In the end, it does not really matter how good or bad the new Viper is, between the dealers and SRT marketing team and Ralph himself, the Viper is already dead. I actually feel stupid for trying to buy one, real stupid as a matter of fact after getting a personal assurance from Ralph that he "will hook me up with one".

Again, if you and others want the Viper to survive, it may be a better idea to educate the dealers and SRT that selling any of them benefits everyone, including all dealers and SRT-maybe the concept is too complicated for them to comprehend? The idea the Viper can sell itself already failed miserably.

BTW, as sad as it may be, what takes place should not be a big surprise to anyone, just a logical consequence. Over and out, allowing smarter people to carry on the conversation.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with the law school, if I really wanted a new Viper, I would find a way. I "could" get one...doesn't mean I "should" get one. I just roll my eyes when you try to infer that people who don't purchase a Gen V "have no passion and no coin".

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, post number 97: "My wife was accepted into law school a few days ago so I won't be purchasing a new Viper for at least another three and a half years. Maybe they will have something radical designed by then. Maybe an ACR. We will see. But until then, I may pop over here from time to time and check on you Gen V guys "trying to feel better about what you have". I pay my dues here sir. I'm entitled."

And, if you read what I wrote carefully, the inference you state is not there. People who bash the Gen V who have never driven one or closely inspected one while at the same time professing to be Viper supporters are the group I am referring to. Some of them have the coin but, based on the posts, some do not. The behavior, in some cases, appears to be a type of reaction formation. Some of these people clearly are fighting the fact that they really do want a Gen V and, for wahtever reason, cannot get one. Sort of like a guy in a nightclub seeing a woman who is drop dead beautiful who rather than face the fact that she is not available to him says: "Yeah, but she looks stuck up and is probably not too bright and high maintainence" when he has never even spoken to her.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh Dodge Dealers :) At the air show, they kept saying "Dodge Viper", and that hapens all time, let's be honest, who here hasn't done it, it's hard to change 22 years of habit.

There ARE dealers who are passionate about Vipers, and I bet its the same handful that have always had that passion (VX, Wood, Tator, etc.). "Other" dealers have always cared about the coin, are fly by night, will take a premium, etc, they sell 1 a year. I have heard it all from Viper dealers over the years (8 cylinder, etc.). If the intent was to upmarket the new Viper, and your point the delaership experience did not go upmarket, I don't think many here would disagree, at large.

Peter, your highlighted text is key. This happened with G3, and G4, people telling me my baby was ugly, the car was an abomination, and (then) Dodge were idiots were building, and they should abort the whole thing.

It's hard to hear and read, no gen is for everyone, I love the new car, but more importantly, I love what the car represents, and if that goes away, no matter who's fault, that's bad bad, and you're right, the dealerships need the passion, I bet they get more passionate if they make a ton of money off them...

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And those handful of cars are selling very well, manufacturer not closing the plant or not cancelling on racing events (GTR, 458, Aventador, MP12, P997TT, ZR-1). I never stated that it does not have the straight line performance, it just does not have the superiority it used to have with the Gen I (it was .4 sec seconds faster than the fastest bull the diablo)
20 years ago, if you wanted supercar performance, your choices were fairly limited: Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche TT (to name the most widely sold). Technology has evolved so much that you can now have the best of both worlds and be very close in performance without spending the farm and the Viper's competition has increased ie the low end of the $$ spectrum (Corvette Z06, ZR1, Mustang GT-500, GTR, Jaguar F type, and even Audi R8 or McLaren in the mid 100s).
You add to that the poor marketing and the useless dealers which brings us to today...

Although both highlighted statements I agree with. I am not sure it is SRT's fault. Technology has brought MANY of the lower priced cars up to par performance wise. Heck, these days a Honda Accord traps in the 13's!!! I remember the days only a GNX could do that (even the vette couldn't back then). So the superiority the Viper once held I don't think it will ever get back. Too much competition these days and not enough $$ for the R&D. That being said I don't think any car has that superiority over the Viper either. Definitely NOT in its price range. So my thinking is you can probably get a nicely loaded GTS for@ $110-115 these days (maybe less) and you have a performance car that you can put up against the worlds best AND have the exclusiveness of a rare , low production car, with a true manual. These last 2 points sold me ...for the 3rd time.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The actual name dealers use is Dodge SRT Viper. :DI am not sure how difficult it is for them to update their website but I bet not all that hard to add SRT as a brand? At least they would be consistent with Chrysler and that DriveSRT website? I am guessing the problem would be with other Dodge cars that carry SRT name and are in reality souped up versions of regular cars?

I highlighted that text because I felt this is something the dealers should understand. If dealers understood this part, then the bickering among the owners would be irrelevant.

Personally, I think passion about Vipers should be left to the car owners, dealers should be more concerned with car's survival which would involve selling out whatever sits around EVERYWHERE. From what I see, this is not happening and even the dealers you consider passionate, lack the long term vision to understand cause and effect mechanism. I think it is pretty funny that after explaining to Ralph and his marketing director what I wanted and that this would be the second Viper, them assuring me it should be no problem, and then getting sent to a dealer who had nothing I wanted and was not willing to locate another car to suit my needs (I really need a no frills daily driver since I am keeping my Gen 4 no matter what).

Now, if I see cars I want sitting around and nothing gets done to accommodate me, I am out, plain and simple. Am I the only one? I seriously doubt that. Personally, I think it is a bad mistake not to sell me the new Viper, for more than one reason but it is what it is. Anyway, water under the bridge and I can certainly appreciate the irony of the whole situation. Cannot blame me for not trying, LOL.

Ahh Dodge Dealers :) At the air show, they kept saying "Dodge Viper", and that hapens all time, let's be honest, who here hasn't done it, it's hard to change 22 years of habit.

There ARE dealers who are passionate about Vipers, and I bet its the same handful that have always had that passion (VX, Wood, Tator, etc.). "Other" dealers have always cared about the coin, are fly by night, will take a premium, etc, they sell 1 a year. I have heard it all from Viper dealers over the years (8 cylinder, etc.). If the intent was to upmarket the new Viper, and your point the delaership experience did not go upmarket, I don't think many here would disagree, at large.

Peter, your highlighted text is key. This happened with G3, and G4, people telling me my baby was ugly, the car was an abomination, and (then) Dodge were idiots were building, and they should abort the whole thing.

It's hard to hear and read, no gen is for everyone, I love the new car, but more importantly, I love what the car represents, and if that goes away, no matter who's fault, that's bad bad, and you're right, the dealerships need the passion, I bet they get more passionate if they make a ton of money off them...

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have seen nothing yet,with these hundreds of new Gen.5 s sitting unsold at dealers,they will have to basically give them away to clear them out...Very Sad situation for a excellent car,this is SRT Management/Marketing and the(most/not all) greedy dealers doing... A change in SRT management needs to happen now and dealers need to be held to mandatory standards ..At this point there is No forward vision for the Viper to survive.Just Silence...

We all like nice guys,but most of the time they get walked on in the real business world.....

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have seen nothing yet,with these hundreds of new Gen.5 s sitting unsold at dealers,they will have to basically give them away to clear them out...Very Sad situation for a excellent car,this is SRT Management/Marketing and the(most/not all) greedy dealers doing... A change in SRT management needs to happen now and dealers need to be held to mandatory standards ..At this point there is No forward vision for the Viper to survive.Just Silence...

We all like nice guys,but most of the time they get walked on in the real business world.....
If there is no effort to sell the current cars, the factory may not reopen in July. SRT management seems to ignore the current situation and dealers are not helping at all. Completely agreed that there is no constructive vision in SRT management. If I was in their shoes, I'd be putting as many cars on the street as possible, make them visible and have people really start talking about them. If the cars sit, there is not only no demand for new run but majority of the buyers for the current stock will be afraid to pull the trigger not to overpay. The whole situation is not only troubling but even more so due to being self inflicted.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is pretty funny that after explaining to Ralph and his marketing director what I wanted and that this would be the second Viper, them assuring me it should be no problem, and then getting sent to a dealer who had nothing I wanted and was not willing to locate another car to suit my needs (I really need a no frills daily driver since I am keeping my Gen 4 no matter what).

Now, if I see cars I want sitting around and nothing gets done to accommodate me, I am out, plain and simple. Am I the only one? I seriously doubt that. Personally, I think it is a bad mistake not to sell me the new Viper, for more than one reason but it is what it is. Anyway, water under the bridge and I can certainly appreciate the irony of the whole situation. Cannot blame me for not trying, LOL.

Can you elaborate on your alleged discussion with Ralph? Sounds odd given your publically posting on your anti-Ralph/Viper hate blog months earlier at ...http://srtviperdoa.blogspot.ca/sear...-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=47 where you posted...

"How much of this blatant incompetence, delusion and outright stupidity will it take before Ralph Gilles is fired and the entire Viper program either shut down or set on the meaningful course? Ralph Gilles, you should have been fired long time ago, go and collect unemployment in lieu of doing anything constructive."

Maybe you're experiencing bad Karma???

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on your alleged discussion with Ralph? Sounds odd given your publically posting on your anti-Ralph/Viper hate blog months earlier at ...http://srtviperdoa.blogspot.ca/sear...-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=47 where you posted...

"How much of this blatant incompetence, delusion and outright stupidity will it take before Ralph Gilles is fired and the entire Viper program either shut down or set on the meaningful course? Ralph Gilles, you should have been fired long time ago, go and collect unemployment in lieu of doing anything constructive."

Maybe you're experiencing bad Karma???
No discussion, just exchanging a message with him about bad buying experience. Do you have a problem with outspoken people? I was polite enough not to comment here. And karma? The way things go, more like a prophecy coming to a full fruition. Oh and thanks for bringing it up, certainly seems like a way to turn the discussion into something even more constructive than it has already been. Why not just blame me for this current failure? I am sure this one should be coming soon. People like you remind me of Titanic's captain and Custer, so you may be the one getting the short end of karma. BTW, learn to copy and paste, apparently you need to practice more.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with positive and constructive comments from outspoken people at all. I can't help but notice that they aren't the ones getting banned on forums so maybe I'm not alone.

I'm going to try to copy and paste your user name into my "Ignore List" now and see if practice makes perfect :)

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with positive and constructive comments from outspoken people at all. I can't help but notice that they aren't the ones getting banned on forums so maybe I'm not alone.

I'm going to try to copy and paste your user name into my "Ignore List" now and see if practice makes perfect :)
good one bruce

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hope you do and get it right this time :2tu:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People are entitled to their opinions. Some don't like the new Viper and some would drink Ralph Jones Koolaid at the Viper Temple. And what's worse Bruce, a troll or one who feeds a troll? My good man Bob, you traded your supercharged ACR (along with another car) in for a Gen V. Why didn't you keep the ACR and dump one of your other cars? And Bob, I've read some of your posts in other threads and would bet money that if a proven supercharger kit came out for the Gen V tomorrow....you would leave claw marks and **** skids in your wake while running out to buy it. Can I get a c'mon?

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And let there be no mistake, I like Bob and admire his accomplishments. Just having a bit of discourse here.

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
this is a great thread and the gen V viper is an amazing car. i truely believe this should be expected though, the car was in hiatus for 3 years then had a mediocre luanch. i do think it's just going to take a couple of years before sales increase a great deal. People have to see these cars on the road, in videos, in movies, at performance shops, at drag races, and on road courses before they go drop 6 figures on it.
Also I second the motion of shaking up management and especailly getting rid of whomever thought it made sense to not allow access to the PCM. if the aftermarket was excited about this car you would see at dyno shops and youtube video's all day long (free advertising)!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter MJ....damn son! I just read your "Gen V hate blog". You are the "Silky Johnson" of the Gen V....the ultimate player hater! And your comments on Nineball? VCA take note: I am Mr. Rogers compared to this guy....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5p8IXzNdc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
try this instead of your Silky Johnson.

You must be registered for see images

Calling someone a hater is an excuse to avoid reality check. Ask Corvette nut huggers how this works out. I am allergic to marketing BS and simply point it out. I do not hate Viper at all, just not in the habit of mistaking lipstick for progress. I am very serious about buying Gen 5 but that is not working out too well...:crazy2:

All things considered and how I feel about Corvette, I am actually pretty kind to Viper especially since the prices keep dropping. As I said, it would be a good thing if I got Gen 5 but oh well...

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow what happened to this thread? It was already entertaining with the usual suspect doling out amateur psych profiles of everyone that doesn't agree with him. Say what you want about the G5 but it gets people talking. No telling where a thread will go. LOL........

Anyway with the resounding success of the TA model wouldn't it make some sort of sense to continue making this model even beyond the projected limited number? Maybe cut losses on the 13/14 GTS/SRT models and sell what the public seems to value more, the TA. Obviously that would reduce the specialness of the TA by not making it as limited and the current owners would probably hate that. But you cant argue that its the one Viper that is selling well and has the greatest buzz. Just free thinking some sort of solution to the sales problem with the other two models to get back on some semblance of a Viper topic. It would seem at this point they may have to focus on the TA.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow what happened to this thread? It was already entertaining with the usual suspect doling out amateur psych profiles of everyone that doesn't agree with him. Say what you want about the G5 but it gets people talking. No telling where a thread will go. LOL........

Anyway with the resounding success of the TA model wouldn't it make some sort of sense to continue making this model even beyond the projected limited number? Maybe cut losses on the 13/14 GTS/SRT models and sell what the public seems to value more, the TA. Obviously that would reduce the specialness of the TA by not making it as limited and the current owners would probably hate that. But you cant argue that its the one Viper that is selling well and has the greatest buzz. Just free thinking some sort of solution to the sales problem with the other two models to get back on some semblance of a Viper topic. It would seem at this point they may have to focus on the TA.

you beat me to it, i was thinking the same. was going to post thread gone wild, lol.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny. I see a very hard working, tall guy who is worth north of $500 million; earns $95 million a year;owns a $52 million mansion in Palm Beach;and, who is married to a beautiful woman. If he does not have a Viper, he should get two. For her and for him.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe the 93/33/33 number of TA's was just for 2014, and I have no doubt they will not change that number. Hopefully they will continue the model for 2015 (different colors?). I expect they'll continue to improve its performance, and hopefully make them available for 2014 TA's as well..maybe 2015 will bring an adjustable suspension or revised headers and exhaust!!! As an almost current TA owner I definitely want the car to continue and dominate. I wouldn't be too thrilled about an ACR upstaging it, but suspect that will be well down the road at this point...and perhaps never if they can keep the TA at the top.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TA was sold as a limited edition vehicle. More TAs in the same colors - no. That would be going back on a promise and bad marketing. Perhaps in a couple more colors - might make sense. Based on the announcement from Chrysler, the decision to close the plant was made based on existing inventory at dealers and until that number goes down to a level that the bean counters feel justifies the plant opening earlier to fill new orders, I doubt we will see it reopen before the June date. In the meantime, Spring is here and its soon will be Viper weather everywhere. Buy one.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a quote from the other site just posted in their corresponding shutdown thread...

"During our board call last night an SRT representative explained the plant shutdown to us. Essentially, no the Viper is not going away. Orders this month are up over last month. SRT is happy with the orders received so far for the 2014 Viper but wants inventory on dealer lots to thin out. The plant will be retooled in June-July to start production of the 2015 GenV. No details were given about the 2015 GenV but based on what was said it will be "interesting" according to our SRT representative.

I asked about the "internal horsepower war" that Ralph mentioned in one of his interviews regarding the Challenger, Viper. Again, the answer was that it will/is leading to "interesting things". We asked about the vert, etc. but our rep couldn't give details which is understandable. If the Viper is going away then SRT is certainly not acting in that manner. I think that interesting things are certainly coming in due time."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456