Sad news...

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don Smith, whom many of you have met at various Viper events, was killed this morning in an auto accident about half a mile from our home. He was coming home from the store when a trailer broke loose from another vehicle and sideswiped our van. We think his death was instantaneous. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated. Barbara and Family (Roosevelt, Utah)

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barbra,
Sorry to hear about the tragic loss. It is an inadequate consolation that he is in a better place, my prayers go to you and your family.

Afy

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lost my father in an auto accident earlier this year. It has been unbearable. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Reaction score
Dear Barbara,

Kelly and I are sorry for your loss. You, Don and your family are in our prayers. We shared a wonderful experience with you and Don in France and always looked forward to seeing both of you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Sincerely,

Fred and Kelly

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about your tragic loss. Keep the Faith and remember that he is in a better place. My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends for your loss.

Brad

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Barbara,

It's always sad to hear that we lost our love ones. But remember, Don is in a very good and happy place right now...he's with GOD. My prayers go to you and your family. God bless you all!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Barbara,

Can you help all of us to get to know more about Don? I know it is a little too late, but sometimes celebrating the life of a loved one, helps to ease the pain of loosing them. I would love to hear what made Don smile. Maybe it can do the same for those who are now grieving?

Sorry for your loss,

Steve & Kim Ferguson

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family during this very difficult time. May he rest in Peace.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
BARBARA! "VCA loses a friend." Pac-NW indeed remembers Don. In the early-days of VCA we had the pleasure of your Pac-NW membership and VOI dinner company.

How sad and unfortunate. Even in your immediate grief, your and Don's appreciation for the VCA is evidenced by you sharing the story of his passing during the immediate hours after the terrible news.

At the ALMS event at PIR next week, the 2 Viper pace cars will wear the "black stripe tribute" across the Snake hood emblem in Don's honor. Please accept our prayers and condolences.

Jon Brobst
Pac-NW VCA

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Barbara.

I'm very saddened by your loss. We met at LeMans in '98 and it was a pleasure making the acquaintance. I think I spent most of my time with the two of you. I'm shocked and at a loss for words.

May his soul rest in peace.

-Avinash Phillips.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barbara,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Although I have never had the pleaseure of meeting you or Don I feel that I have gotten to know you both through your Viper ownership and your friendship with my mother. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barbara,
Please accept our condolences - however I know that nothing can ease the pain you are feeling at this moment. I wish it could. To have a life taken away during the course of something so ordinary makes us all stop and thank God for each and every day we have with each other. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Janni and Henry Cone

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I may, I think I can speak for all the VCA members here in Arizona by saying that we are truly saddened by this news you have chosen to share with us. If we can be of any help, please let us know. My deepest sympathy goes out to you. Pete the ex-glass guy in Arizona

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not know Don but can only offer the words of wisdom that everything happens for a reason. Reading this would not make me feel any better but look beyond the words and eventually they will make sense.
Your extended Viper family seems to be there with you and Don. I am proud to be part of this family.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad News is right.....I didn't know him, but I'm very sorry to hear the news. The way I deal with these things lately is more with anger. Seems the older I get the more aware I am of our mortality. I'm so truly sick about hearing of people, especially young kids, passing away before thier time......yeah I know....who is to say when the time is? But be it from disease, accident, or whatever, it stirs up anger in me. I guess I value life so much and all the blessings that God has given me that to think it could all be snatched away in an instant and so many others can suffer as a result, leaves me speachless.

Good luck with the pain, hope it subsides soon. Thank goodness we have memories.
Andrew

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barbara,

Words fail me, I had to read your post several times, I could not believe what I was reading. My thoughts are with you. I only wish that there was more I could say to be of some comfort to you; I'm sending you a hug in my thoughts. Why is life so cruel; Don and yourself were such a lovely couple, I was privileged to have met you. It is only two months ago to the day, that Don kindly took me passenger in your beautiful GT2, and I was laughing with you both. During my first ever GT2 ride, and through the beautiful Colorado mountains, I remember Don telling me all about your wolves that you breed. I am totally saddened and numb, to learn of the loss of Don. I hope they have Vipers in heaven. Bless you Don.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, becasue as I said earlier, this kind of news is so sad to hear about, and I feel very sorry for the family to have to deal with this. But isn't it interesting how generally our society seems to go through life not really mentioning God very much? But when death comes along, Wow. I just thought it would be nice to remember the guy upstairs on a more regular basis, as I will before I go out onto that Pocono track next week.

Have a good day,
Andrew

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barbara, although Libby and I did not know you we would like to offer our condolences in your loss. May God be with you in your time of grieving.
Gary Lashinsky

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew2KRT10:
our society seems to go through life not really mentioning God very much?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps, but some practice their religious beliefs more privately.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barbara

You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. I lost a friend and my father-in-law during the last few months. Having close friends and family will help you through this trying time. God be with you and your family.

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Barbara,

I was shocked to hear the terrible news. Like Nadine, I have fond memories of our Memorial Day Viper trip with you and Don. Please accept my most sincere condolences. It's not for us to know why we lose those so close to us when we do. Please let me know if I can do anything.

Love,

John Johns

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our families condolences go to you, we'll remember you in our prayers. I have a piece of paper on my cubicle wall titled "Emergency Numbers".... It recommends John 14:

Let not your heart be troubled; ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Fathers house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. And I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may also be............

God be with you.