Scammed in VCA classifieds

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In response to an add in the VCA under the tire section, I contacted the seller of some 345/30/19 Michelin Pilot Sports....I was sent pictures of tires with what looks like 80% or better tread.
I was told
"Hi, yes still have them. no patches or plugs, like i said they are in pristine condition. I will take $425 for both tires shipped to you. These cost over $800 new! Let me know if interested." and
"Hi, These came off of a 2004 Viper. The driver rear ended someone, very minimal damage to front end but insurance salvaged the car. The owner decided to part out the car so we got the tires. That was about 2 to 3 weeks ago. The viper only had 5000k miles on it."

I checked out on Ebay to see what an average for the same tires would be or if I could find a pair of new ones....to my suprise, The "same" pictures I was sent were listed on Ebay from a tire store: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7937751301&category=66477

When I inquired as to why the same pictures were shown on Ebay, I was told:

I wrote:
The pictures you sent me of the tires are from this Ebay add: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7937751301&category=66477&sspagename=WD1V
?????
Do you have pictures of the actual tires you are selling?
Please advise

Responce:
hi, I saw that also, I had these up on ebay when we first got them. No bought the tires. I din't relist because you were interested. These are my pictures! I talked to ebay about this seller.

Turns out, the seller sent me new pictures that again, showed 80% tread or thereabouts.
When I received the tires ($425 for the pair paid through PayPal), they are not only not the tires in the picture, they are bald with nails still in them (email me or PM me for pics of what I was to receive, and pics of what I actually received).
Here is his initial response:
"Hi, I am so sorry to hear about this, You know i think i know what happend. We also had another set of these tires that were stored near the tires you were getting. That day we shipped out a total of 4 tires and your must have gotten mixed up with the other order. Unfortunately our shipping guy is on vacation untill next tuesday. He has all of that info stored in his labtop. Once he comes i can get the # of the other order and make some calls. We will get your tires to you or you money back. Again so sorry."

My reply: "Please refund the $425.00 to my PayPal account and call tag these "tires".
I am reluctant to trust a second go around....unless you want to refund my money, ship the "other tires" after I have received them and inspect them I can send you funds
Trust is a two way street right!"

Turns out the seller is actually the same as the tire store on Ebay.
I emailed the seller upon receipt of the tires and sent pictures of both the nails and tread depth (shown with a penny....nail has more tread left that the tires actually do). The seller has agreed to refund my money twice via email but still hasn't done so.
Now, two or three days to refund the money wouldn't normally seem to be unreasonable....except that most of us know it takes no time at all to refund money back through PayPal....when you look at this persons Ebay feedback, you will see that others say "dont buy tires from him sells junk tires he says he'll fix but wont"....there seems to be a trend of deceptive advertising.
To further add insult to injury here:

>
> Dr. *** wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I can grant you a refund. Will you send the tires back to me?

> XXXnet> wrote: (me)
>
> Once I receive the refund, I will ship your tires back to you

Dr. *** wrote:
Hi,
> Again i am sorry this happend. But how can i know for sure you will send them back?
> I am willing to work with you however you want. I know you want a refund. that is fine. I would like the tires back anyhow.

I wrote:
Listen, I am not interested in keeping your scrap rubber.
I am However, interested in being refunded my money.
You can do it voluntarily and trust that I will return your tires (need address to ship to), or I can simply dispute the charge on my credit card..end of story
Just refund my money, provide me a shipping address and I will send you a tracking number once the tires ship back to you.
Funny how you are the one questioning my integrity and yet, I am the one who was "hoodwinked" here!
Ironic isn't it? " :eek:

I am tired of getting screwed by sellers over the internet...a few months back, I got ripped off on a license plate frame that was to read "RT/10"...what I got was "SRT/10"... i sent it back at my expense, and 3 months later...still no license plate frame from the Ebay dealer still selling these on Ebay.
Sorry to vent, just seems to be a rash of this and wanted to let others know that there are wolves in sheep's clothing even in the VCA classifieds.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feedback Score: 593
Positive Feedback: 98.5%
Member since Jan-29-01 in United States

lol....THATS why i dont trust ebay and paypal.....its all BS

see what paypal tells ya.

""others say "dont buy tires from him sells junk tires he says he'll fix but wont""...and ya STILL bought them..?...you're a sucker then.

OP
OP
W

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't know he was the same person as the Ebay tire dealer...remember, I found him through the VCA classifieds....only found his Ebay store after doing a tire search for 345/30/19 then discovered he sent me the same pics and when I confronted him about this (see original thread), he acts like he doesn't know that tire company and says, "hi, I saw that also, I had these up on ebay when we first got them. No bought the tires. I din't relist because you were interested. These are my pictures! I talked to ebay about this seller."

OP
OP
W

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it has since ben removed oddly enough! - at least under 245/30/19 tires.
Email me for more info...would be happy to help stop this garbage

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What amazes me (looking at the other feedback comments) is that the vast majority of the others are actually AA+++++ happy with their tires :confused:

"Feedback Score: 593
Positive Feedback: 98.5%"

I am an addicted Ebay buyer myself (same screenname as on this forum), and this seller rating and feedback comments would make me handle this in a different way: I would ask them to ship me the right tire at their own expense and to pay for me shipping the bad tire back to them (after you have taken delivery of the good one that is), because the seller rating and feedback give me the trust I'm looking for.
Deal still done and both parties are happy. In no way am I typing this to diss on you :eek: Just my sober (in the happy, to-the-point and bright way) attitude/opinion on this matter. There's already so much greef and anger in this world ya know, "don't worry, be happy".

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should not allow anyone who is not a member to post any add in our classifieds! It is bad enough to not be able to trust ebay, but I now feel uneasy about our own club! Our club classifieds we can control tighter than this!

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
We should not allow anyone who is not a member to post any add in our classifieds! It is bad enough to not be able to trust ebay, but I now feel uneasy about our own club! Our club classifieds we can control tighter than this!

I second that motion !

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I have been buying and selling on e-bay almost since they started. Many items in the eight to twelve thousand dollar range including 2 sets of Viper rims and tires. Never had a problem. Do what e-bay advises on any item over $200.00. Use an escrow service. It is inexpensive and easy. If the seller will not accept an escrow service then DON'T BUY, and contact e-bay. If a seller will not accept an escrow service something is wrong. This is the only safe way to make a high dollar purchase on e-bay.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the every day low ticket items that seem to have the gutter dwelling scammers. It's more of a pain than anything just putting a fraud alert on your charge card and chasing the few bad sellers down. Most are good, it's the few bad apples that piss everyone off...We just should not have these problems on our club classifieds!

OP
OP
W

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still no refund, what amazes me is the guy post's as a "Dr."...what kinda "Dr." needs to scam folks for a living?
The shipping address tracks back to a completely residential street...did a SuperPages search and found another place on the same street who I talked to to see if they could walk down to this tire store and get a number...guy tells me, "completely residential street"(guy had photography place out of his house with that address).
How do you run an Ebay Tire store out of your house? :rolleyes:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still no refund, what amazes me is the guy post's as a "Dr."...what kinda "Dr." needs to scam folks for a living?
The shipping address tracks back to a completely residential street...did a SuperPages search and found another place on the same street who I talked to to see if they could walk down to this tire store and get a number...guy tells me, "completely residential street"(guy had photography place out of his house with that address).
How do you run an Ebay Tire store out of your house? :rolleyes:

Garage sale maybe :p ?

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you report this to paypal? They are quick to get money back, which is one of the reasons they **** (for the seller anyway). Product delivered was not that as advertised.

Did you pay via a CC or direct bank withdraw?