Scary News Today about Chrysler - read carefully

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DaimlerChrysler has opened the door to a total or partial sale of its Detroit-based Chrysler unit, acknowledging the shortcomings of one of the most ambitious transatlantic business mergers.

The German carmaker has hired JPMorgan to explore Chrysler's future.

"All options are on the table," said Dieter Zetsche, chairman. He declined to set a time frame for the review.

A person familiar with the matter said the options included an outright sale, spinning off Chrysler to shareholders or continuing with the recent integration between the Detroit company and the Mercedes car group. The latter is the least preferred course of action.

The restructuring marks Chrysler's third major turnround plan since Daimler-Benz bought the company in 1998.

Initial expectations of a global automotive powerhouse have given way to frustration over Chrysler's exposure to sport-utility vehicles, pick-up trucks and minivans at a time when US consumers have been moving to cars and crossover vehicles.

Chrysler also badly misjudged demand, leading to a big inventory build-up. It lost €1.1bn ($1.4bn) last year, offsetting a €2.4bn operating profit at Mercedes and a strong performance by the commercial truck group.

DaimlerChrysler reported total net income of €3.2bn, up 13 per cent from 2005, due partly to gains on its stake in EADS, the European aerospace group.

Chrysler is likely to report another loss this year, including a restructuring charge of up to €1bn. A drive to reduce inventories will cut operating profits by €230m.

The Chrysler review will take place along with a "recovery and transformation plan" that aims to restore the group to profit by next year. The plan includes 13,000 job losses in North America, 10-15 per cent fewer dealers and axing 10-20 per cent of Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep models.

Annual production capacity will shrink by 400,000 vehicles over the next two years, with the future focus on cars and other fuel-efficient vehicles.

Tom LaSorda, chief executive, said Chrysler needed to reduce its dependence on the North American market. "We need to leverage alliances and partnerships to quickly take advantage of emerging opportunities in new markets and new segments."

He cited a recent venture in which Dodge dealers in Mexico are selling a Dodge-branded vehicle built by South Korea's Hyundai.

Mr Zetsche said DaimlerChrysler's senior executives shared responsibility for Chrysler's current woes. "We are in this together", he said.

"This is not about finger-pointing."

Mr Zetsche added that the review of Chrysler's future would not affect existing co-operation between the Detroit group and Mercedes, with neither a disentangling of links nor any significant tightening.

Reporting by Bernard Simon in Auburn Hills, Michigan, John Reed and James Mackintosh in London, and Richard Milne in Frankfurt

Copyright The Financial Times Ltd. All rights reserved

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is scary is that Chrysler just a short time ago was keeping DC going. Now, when Chrysler reaches their soft spot, "all options" are on the table. Maybe they should stand by their own brands and foster them. Just a thought. That would be the best option.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is scary is that Chrysler just a short time ago was keeping DC going. Now, when Chrysler reaches their soft spot, "all options" are on the table. Maybe they should stand by their own brands and foster them. Just a thought. That would be the best option.

Exactly! Wouldn't it be great if Chrysler got spun off then Mercedes goes in the dumps and Chrysler starts to shine.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Automotive news:

Indian or Chinese carmakers eager to expand into the world's biggest car market might find Chrysler an attractive opportunity, and a handful of European carmakers could use some of its spare capacity.

Um, the next Viper designed by Apu, or Ying Chang? I have yet to see even a semi-attractive concept car from India or China.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 300C AWD is really nice.My wife and I love it.Other than that you get gas guzzlers that are some what junk.Yep that includes jeep too. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The Chrysler review will take place along with a "recovery and transformation plan" that aims to restore the group to profit by next year. The plan includes ...... 10-15 per cent fewer dealers and axing 10-20 per cent of Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep models. Annual production capacity will shrink by 400,000 vehicles over the next two years, with the future focus on cars and other fuel-efficient vehicles."

On cars and other fuel efficient vehicles . Scary words for the Viper Nation. As each day goes by, I am more and more pleased that I took delivery of my 2006 SRTC last May. To paraphrase a well known saying, a Viper in hand is better than none in the CAAP.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 300C AWD is really nice.My wife and I love it.Other than that you get gas guzzlers that are some what junk.Yep that includes jeep too. GTS Bruce
My brother has an aweosme looking 300C, i love that car. it's very cool, tinted wondows, new wheels and a billet grill make them look awesome. Makes him look like he's a hitman in the mafia or something lol

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My brother has an aweosme looking 300C, i love that car.

I bought my mom a 300C for Christmas a year ago. At her age she probably doesn't experience all the benefits of the hemi that it is capable of but it included some additional features that some of the other versions didn't have.

She says it's her dream car and she feels like a queen when driving around. To me it was well worth it.

I don't agree with some other posts about Chrysler being junk except for the Viper. I bought my wife a GT Cruiser for Christmas several years ago and it has held up fine now for over 60k miles. She wanted it instead of a Beemer - what can I say.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apu here. :nana:

Many decades ago, India licensed technology from Fiat and built 4-cylinder sedans based on Fiat models. In the 90s, licensing from Japanese auto firms became all the rage and now the Indian auto market is full off locally assembled 4-6 cylinder Japanese knock-offs with the focus on fuel economy.

A car giving 25 mpg is a losing proposition. Indians are gas conscious because gas prices are more than double US prices. Besides speed limits rarely exceed 35mph in the city and 55mph in the highway. And road and traffic conditions mean that it is hard to exceed those limits within any reasonable margin of safety (read really atrocious driving conditions).

Besides, there really isn't any automotive tech coming from India/China so I don't think we should fear them entering the US market. At best, they might be able to compete in the sub-$15000 car market, if at all. I doubt the US car makers make any money off this section anyway.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly! Wouldn't it be great if Chrysler got spun off then Mercedes goes in the dumps and Chrysler
starts to shine.

..............and then buys Mercedes down the road :cool:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly! Wouldn't it be great if Chrysler got spun off then Mercedes goes in the dumps and Chrysler
starts to shine.

..............and then buys Mercedes down the road :cool:

......in another merger of equals. :bonker:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth