Scott Mead "Vette remains King of American Drop-tops"

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Scott Mead

That was a BIG point for me. I really liked the ZR1, but no convertible was ever available, and similarly, I might have bought a Z06 if a convertible version had been built, but it never was. :(

I had considered getting a C5 convertible and adding a supercharger for comparable performance, but the Viper added great style and originality to my top-off motoring. And there's no going back now. :laugh:

I owned a Mustang convertible, and then a Corvette convertible (C4) and they were very enjoyable cars in their own right. But when I think of "King" I think of the most outrageous, the most eye-catching, and the most powerful, regardless of cost. And that would be the Viper.

-Dean.

luv2race2

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Isn't this the old Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge? I owned 8 Fords at one time: trucks, vintage, convert's and sports cars. Would never buy a Chevy...at any price!!!!!!!!!!

So the Dodge was the next American manufacturer. After owning 2 Dodge's, I think they are built well. Especially the SRT. If you can afford by the Viper, if you can't by the Vette!

If anyone wants to race me in the San Jose area...Bring it on! We will see which one is the Real Deal!

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snakebitten,

Sorry it has taken so long to come back to you. With my hours during the work week it can take me days to get to the site.

It would have been great to have more than one test to compare. However, in 2001 when Car and Driver first held this test a Viper was invited. Dodge dispatched one from its headquarters but the car succumbed to clutch failure enroute. As I indicated in my earlier post, I will therefore reserve judgment until more tests, like this year’s Car and Driver Supertuner and Motor Trend’s High Speed shootout are completed. To date, and to the best of my knowledge, only two magazine tests of a 405hp Z06 versus a Viper exist and those are separately the ones I cited against a Gen II and III. With the Gen III Viper out I do not expect to see any more tests against a Gen II. As I also pointed out the Gen III is heavily favored against the Z06 which I expect to go down but put up a good fight. The real battle will be fought a little past this time next year when these same tests involve the C6 against the SRT-10.

Coming back to the existing Car and Driver test there are a few key items of note. Like the other manufacturers, Dodge could have selected any driver it wished. While it would have been nice to see Tommy Archer flogging the GTS around the track the driver who ended up doing the driving is not as bad as you may think. As self-deprecating as he is, Car and Driver’s Senior Technical Editor, Larry Webster, is actually a very good driver. Larry, who replaces the sadly missed Don Schroeder who lost his life Feb. 11, 2000 in a high speed accident involving testing of a Renntech SL convertible a few years ago, has years of experience road testing cars under various circumstances. Larry is an accomplished road racer who represents Car and Driver’s Ground Control team. He also participates in Lehigh University’s Formula SAE racing car design, testing and competition.

In the test in question Larry had the advantage of considerable experience on the road course, which, as any racer will tell you, is half the battle. Consider that Larry not only defeated an accomplished SCCA racer like John Heinricy but came 3/10ths of a second :laugh: shy of defeating three time Le Mans winner Phil Hill who was at the wheel of Zuffenhausen’s best aided and abetted by all-wheel drive. This is a testament to both the car and (no pun intended) driver. You actually proved this and simultaneously hit the nail on the head in your comments regarding the brakes. Braking was the easiest part of the test. The Viper’s inexcusable results (average of +138ft. beyond the turbo which suffered brake failure!) were what lost it the overall test. Had it matched the braking of even the losing vehicle it would have won going away. Better brakes are on the SRT-10. It should win this year.

Bottom line is that the Viper beat the Z06 and came really close to beating the mighty 911 twin-turbo. In a few months we will see what becomes of both these cars against the SRT-10 and maybe even a Ferrari, should they choose to join the fight. Will be interesting whatever the outcome.

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The point of the topic (unfortunately) leaves out all Z06's. Why? When GM chooses to put the wonderful Z06 drivetrain in the convertible body, we can compare Z06 conv VS. SRT. OR WHEN DC COMES OUT WITH A HARDTOP SRT-10! I know convertibles have to weigh more than coupes (hence the only reason the Z06 is only available one way) and if DC could cut 200+ lbs of curb weight......think about it.

Point taken. A 2003 C5 convertible may make a nuisance of itself to an early Gen I car but against a Gen II or III there would clearly be no contest. My intent was to compare the cars based on the closest performance, not design point. You do, however, have a point.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Corvette vert does not weigh more than the coupe, although the Z06 is lighter due to many things, including the fixed roof (FRC). The upcoming Viper coupe is not necessarily going to weigh less just because it is a coupe. DC will have to make other changes to lower weight.

Chad

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Both the targa and the conv. Vette are open top vehicles, so the floorpan and front and rear structures have to be strengthened to compensate for the missing roof section.....more weight. The Z06 weighs a touch over 3000? I think. The convertible weighs 3250. The SRT about 3350. The only problem is that dodge didn't really change the frame from RT-10 to GTS very much even though they could have save a lot of pounds. Lower volume of the Viper is probably not worth the engineering cost. I hope the SRT coupe is around the same weight as the comp coupe at 3000.