SCT Questions

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't follow you here? We still work with SCT to this day.

It seemed that you stopped helping and posting on their forums abruptly in 2007. Your reply to me on this 4 year old thread,( that you say you didnt realize was me) seemed as if you were guarded and scorned at some dealings in the past. I figured there might have been some falling out. But most likely it is just to keep all the information you learned your own intellectual property for personal profit and gain,which is completely understandable. I Wouldnt expect you you tell me how to use the software for free. What I would expect is support form the manufacturer of the software who sell it to end users. To me it seems you understand more about their product than they do, which is good for you and bad for them...

On a side note, how come you couldnt develop your own software that simplifies the process of tuning the viper, like ECUFLASH from opensource.org, where all you need is the software and an OBDII to USB cable interface. The software is very easy to navigate and very powerful for tuning almost any parameter on the PCM. You seem to be very knowledgeable on the programming side of the factory ECU, and with a more simple solution for tuning the Viper on the market you would be a savior to many and stand to make a decent profit in the long run. The SCT seems like the company had and afterthought and threw some software out for the viper and a few really technical individuals like yourself understand it fully and monopolize the market.

I looked at the Viper SCT software for 2 days and couldnt figure out heads or tails where to begin with the way the thing was laid out and named. The open source ECU flash has a target AFR map which you change and several other fueling maps but the point is, everything is defined clearly as to what it is and does and what the values represent. The SCT software is way different for the Viper and just seems like a bunch of maps and numbers they named whatever they felt like it.I could not figure out where the software targets a particular AFR, what maps needed to be modified to change the values you wanted, what the particular values actually represented..Nothing..Unfamiliar to me..Given time and trial and error would I figure it out, absolutely..But that is exactly the opposite of what I want to do with this car. I want to drive it and not worry about bull**** and spending hours and hours on a dyno, and constantly carrying a laptop with me in case I have to modify a particular field or bug..Those days are long gone for me..

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It seemed that you stopped helping and posting on their forums abruptly in 2007. Your reply to me on this 4 year old thread,( that you say you didnt realize was me) seemed as if you were guarded and scorned at some dealings in the past. I figured there might have been some falling out. But most likely it is just to keep all the information you learned your own intellectual property for personal profit and gain,which is completely understandable. I Wouldnt expect you you tell me how to use the software for free. What I would expect is support form the manufacturer of the software who sell it to end users. To me it seems you understand more about their product than they do, which is good for you and bad for them...

You nailed it, for the most part. I switched from working with them on the forums to working on the phone, and it rapidly got to the point where I was having them correct issues I found, while not even telling them the "whole story". I was spending so much time sorting out their software and figuring out what they didn't know that I decided to keep it all to myself. I decided wasn't going to waste tens of thousands of dollars in billable time just to hand it over to them or anyone else on a silver platter for a "Thank You". This is also the reason I backed away from posting any tutorials and giving away free tech. Those things don't pay my bills. Knowing more than the other guy does.

On a side note, how come you couldnt develop your own software that simplifies the process of tuning the viper, like ECUFLASH from opensource.org, where all you need is the software and an OBDII to USB cable interface. The software is very easy to navigate and very powerful for tuning almost any parameter on the PCM. You seem to be very knowledgeable on the programming side of the factory ECU, and with a more simple solution for tuning the Viper on the market you would be a savior to many and stand to make a decent profit in the long run. The SCT seems like the company had and afterthought and threw some software out for the viper and a few really technical individuals like yourself understand it fully and monopolize the market.

What makes you think I didn't do something very similar to that? We don't need SCT to tune Gen-2/3 cars here anymore. :D That said, its not our business model, and its a lot more complicated to produce an end user GUI, security levels, customer support, etc, etc, etc, than it is to manipulate and emulate some data in house. I am not primarily a programmer, and there was of course some help in many areas, but it was a small-scale thing for certain applications, we never had nor have any intention of going "bigger" with it. There is already too much competition, and there are actually downsides to doing it in ways other than how SCT has done it. Direct-flash software is more expensive to use on a customer scale, and it is also more difficult to package and sell as a product... not to mention more difficult to remote tune.

I looked at the Viper SCT software for 2 days and couldnt figure out heads or tails where to begin with the way the thing was laid out and named. The open source ECU flash has a target AFR map which you change and several other fueling maps but the point is, everything is defined clearly as to what it is and does and what the values represent. The SCT software is way different for the Viper and just seems like a bunch of maps and numbers they named whatever they felt like it.I could not figure out where the software targets a particular AFR, what maps needed to be modified to change the values you wanted, what the particular values actually represented..Nothing..Unfamiliar to me..Given time and trial and error would I figure it out, absolutely..But that is exactly the opposite of what I want to do with this car. I want to drive it and not worry about bull**** and spending hours and hours on a dyno, and constantly carrying a laptop with me in case I have to modify a particular field or bug..Those days are long gone for me..

I think part of your problem is that you are assuming that the JTEC ECU strategy is anything like what you expect it to be. It isn't. It functions in a fundamentally different way than aftermarket ECUs.

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You nailed it, for the most part. I switched from working with them on the forums to working on the phone, and it rapidly got to the point where I was having them correct issues I found, while not even telling them the "whole story". I was spending so much time sorting out their software and figuring out what they didn't know that I decided to keep it all to myself. I decided wasn't going to waste tens of thousands of dollars in billable time just to hand it over to them or anyone else on a silver platter for a "Thank You". This is also the reason I backed away from posting any tutorials and giving away free tech. Those things don't pay my bills. Knowing more than the other guy does.

What makes you think I didn't do something very similar to that? We don't need SCT to tune Gen-2/3 cars here anymore. :D That said, its not our business model, and its a lot more complicated to produce an end user GUI, security levels, customer support, etc, etc, etc, than it is to manipulate and emulate some data in house. I am not primarily a programmer, and there was of course some help in many areas, but it was a small-scale thing for certain applications, we never had nor have any intention of going "bigger" with it. There is already too much competition, and there are actually downsides to doing it in ways other than how SCT has done it. Direct-flash software is more expensive to use on a customer scale, and it is also more difficult to package and sell as a product... not to mention more difficult to remote tune.

I think part of your problem is that you are assuming that the JTEC ECU strategy is anything like what you expect it to be. It isn't. It functions in a fundamentally different way than aftermarket ECUs.

Have you ever seen the Opensource ecu flash for the Evo and WRX's? Its very end user friendly and works to reflash the stock ECU in those cars, and it is totally free for download. They sell you the cable and your off to the races..Its a similar interface or set up to the Fcon and Haltec aftermarket stand alone ECU's.

The best software I recall was the HKS Fcon, it had 32x32 interpolation and tons of features,switches and submaps...It also had a feature where it would build a base map for you based on your inputs and you would literally have the car running in 5 minutes...From that part the adaptive learning feature would help you get the map close to your target AFR's. I would generally have a car tuned on it in about 2-3 hours on the dyno at every load point. I had a load based dyno which made things so much easier than street tuning..

I just dont have the time or motivation to do trial and error...That being said, PM me a price for a MAP for my SCT handheld if you wouldnt mind, despite our little encounter I can tell you really know what you are doing and would like my car to run perfect with no bull**** issues.. I plan on doing just test pipes and a Borla cat back with my K&N drop in airfilters...Looking to lower the fan temps and turn off the rear 02's and skip shipt obviously..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper