Seat lowering Mfg & Specifics

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After sitting in an '08 coupe today, It is apparent that I will be needing to order seat lowering brackets for the ACR. My questions are:

1) Who makes the best kit?
2) Does the 2" move the seat forward more than the 1"? (I thought I had read that somewhere)
3) If #2 is YES, Which manufacture and Is there a Manufacture that does not move the seat forward, while lowering 2"

Thank you in advance!

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Northwind makes a 1'' and 2'' lowering kit. The 1'' kit retains fore and aft adjustability while the 2'' kit renders the seat fixed (no more fore and aft adjustability). I got my 1'' kit from Partsrack. Give Jon B a call and he can answer the question about any forward movement of the seat with the 2'' kit.

/Rich

OP
OP
R

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that the 2" is fixed. I thought that I had read somewhere that the fixed position of the 2" was more forward than the full rearward position before the kit.

xlr8ion, I think that you and I are both going to have the longest 3-4 months of our lives, waiting on the ACR's delivery :cool: We may need to form a support group in the next month or so :D

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rtigert, I have the 2" lowering kit in my SRT-10. It's true, once you install the 2 inch kit, you can no longer move the seat forward or rearward. I got my lowering kit from Northwind Engineering, however, I know that JonB sells them also, either way you can't go wrong.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unreelviper or rcl4668 - Is the kit that Jon sells manufactured by NWE?

Yes; here are pics of the kit I prchased from Jon B. Note that I purchased kits for both the driver and the passenger side seats:

Northwind_one_inch_seat_lowering_kit_01.jpg

Northwind_one_inch_seat_lowering_kit_02.jpg

Hope this helps.

/Rich

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the 2" Northwind kit which I ordered from Jon B. I have a appointment with Chuck Tator after the holiday to install them. I'll let you know about the seat slightly moving forward.

OP
OP
R

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Rich - Thanks for the photos.

DII is yours a coupe? I look forward to your impression after installation!

Last edited:

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 2" fixed kit in my car. I measured before and after, and the seat does NOT move forward, according to my measurements when It is installed!

PBR

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the 2" fixed kit in my car. I measured before and after, and the seat does NOT move forward, according to my measurements when It is installed!
PBR

Thank you for the great news. I'm 6.6' w. looong legs. I didn't fit very well into an '06 I tried at a nearby dealer, and I have an '08 GTS Blue being built in Jan. Nothing like buying a car that I can't fit into. I'm hoping to avoid having to use the sawzall. :)

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DII is yours a coupe? I look forward to your impression after installation!

I actually have a SRT-10 'Vert. I dropped the car off on Friday afternoon, I should have it back on Wednesday / Thursday.

I'll post my findings!

Happy New Year!!

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too am 6'6" with a 36" inseam. The trouble I see with the coupe is even with a 2" seat lowering, there won't be room for a helmet for track days.
Also- there is NO thigh support, so long trips start to be painful. I have a small pillow I put under my right thigh at those times.
The NWE kit can be installed in about 2 hours if you go slow and easy!

Cheers
PBR

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man we got some tall Viper owners here. I'm a lowly 6'3" 34 inseam and I have the 2" lowering from NWE. Forget trying to fit with a helmet...you have to slouch down pretty far to even make clearance and it just is not comfortable for the track. The right thigh lumbar digs in on long rides. Will try to remove some padding this spring to see if it helps. I have a vert...how much more clearance does the coupe 'double bubble' roof have?

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually have a SRT-10 'Vert. I dropped the car off on Friday afternoon, I should have it back on Wednesday / Thursday.

I'll post my findings!

Happy New Year!!

Hey Guys, just wanted to report my experience with the NWE 2" seat lowering. I picked the car from Tators last night and the minute you close the drivers door you can feel how immense the difference is. I'm 6'4" and 200lb and I always hated the way I felt in the Viper. It has always felt as though I was sitting ON the car rather than IN the car. I'd have to crane my head down to see stoplights etc.

With the seat lowering its much better. It may actually be "too" low for some, but I like the enclosed feeling. I actually have to tilt the steering wheel to maintain a perfectly clear line of vision. I like to sit really low in the car so I don't mind, but for those that are not as tall, I'd recommend the 1" kit for starters.

The seat did move forward slightly, but the offset of that is the backrest is slightly more reclined so the seating position is a little more natural. I always hated the bolt upright seating position of the car, it just never felt natural to me. I took my dead pedal out the day I bought the car so my left leg has good room, I can extend it almost completely.

Obviously the rearward vision is seriously hampered as you actually look UP at the tweeter in the centerstack rather than over at it. I have a long torso so when I'm getting on it, or making a quick change, I just sit up a bit closer to the wheel (imagine ur grandma's driving posistion but obviously not as drastic)

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32