Selling my 2001 Sapphire GTS - Could Use Some Advise

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello VCA: It looks like I'll be selling my beautiful 2001 GTS. I have an investment opportunity and need to raise some quick cash for the deal. I really only need approx $20K short term. I don't have the option to get a home equity loan, so "with car title in hand" it seems like my only option.

Here is my dilemma.

The real problem is that I live in OH where it is winter and snowing. This is a 4000 mile car that is perfect and sits in climate controlled (60 degree) storage. If I advertise it for sale, the perspective buyer wouldn't even be able to get a test drive because of the weather/roads. I know I wouldn't buy a car without knowing how it drove etc... Many of you that have bought cars from Bill Pemberton etc without driving them, but I doubt anyone would show me the same amount of trust.

Is my only option to wait until Spring when I won't need the money ? If so, I won't even want to sell it then. This is a short window of opportunity for the right person & me. If it passes, it will in all likelyhood be passed. Any suggestions ?

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you sure your not selling the thing because the weather stinks and you can't drive it. I'd wait till Spring and see if you still want to sell.........In the mean time , if you need 20 k, do a 2 year re-fi on the car.....good luck......remember 'YOU LOVE THIS CAR'

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One could argue that a Viper is the kind of car that it is not expected that you would get to drive it before you bought it. I would be scared witless to let a "never-drove-a-Viper-before" potential buyer drive a Viper on Michelin Pilot Sports. Some serious throttle in a turn and you just wrote off another pristine GTS.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call your bank, finance the car or a 20k portion of the balance. You should be able to do it in a pnone call. They put a lien on a $50,000 car and give you $20,000. Trust me they will jump at it.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely use the car as collateral and get a 20K note, should be no problem. I am presuming you have at least 20K equity in the car or selling it would not help.

-J

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No one will want your creampuff, it's not a Flakie. Your car is useless, it can only make 7 or 800rwhp.

OP
OP

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inferno: Maybe it will only make 700-800RWHP, but it would look really good doing it. LOL

I paid cash for the car, so collateral is not an issue. I will try a few financial institutions to see if I could get a $20-25K lein. I'm self employed, so banks frown on lending me money due to my "low" income. What I really need is a new position in life, but I won't be able to pull that off in just a few weeks...

Thanks for all the advise guys, I have received several direct purchase offers (*** & emails). I know I'm biased, but this is a special car with great mods (for a worry-free street car) and came from the McCann stable. If I would sell it wouldn't be "cheap" but it would still be a bargain.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I sold my '96 RT/10 the purchaser did not test drive it. I would have taken him out, but I wouldn't have let him drive it anyway. When I bought my '97 GTS from a private party I did not test drive it. Actually, I didn't even see it in person. I did know of the previous owner and his reputation. If you are active on the message board or in your local VCA I don't think you will have a hard time finding a buyer without a test drive. I'd list it regardless. What's the worst that can happen, it doesn't sell and you "have" to keep it?

Darkness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one will want your creampuff, it's not a Flakie. Your car is useless, it can only make 7 or 800rwhp.
Dude quit that crap. People that can put down 40 or 50K for a car wont have a problem spending $1500 on a set of forged pistons!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enough... You guys are trying to take advantage of a situation, I dissagree with you completely.

By all means, sell the car, I'll give you $30k, and you dont have to have any of these fools low bidding you anymore, you deserve top dollar, and my 30k will cover that for ya.

Jon

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude quit that crap. People that can put down 40 or 50K for a car wont have a problem spending $1500 on a set of forged pistons!
Agreed!! Give it a rest Jeff. Go post over at the Alley so we can quit hearing you whine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed!! Give it a rest Jeff. Go post over at the Alley so we can quit hearing you whine.
You must be registered for see images attach

:rolleyes: You agree do ya, my post was completely sarcastic man, I own a 2002. Darkness was telling me to quit calling post99 cars creampuff's, mainly because putting forged pistons in would be no big deal. He took me seriously, argued my sarcastic statement, then gave an argument backing up my sincere thoughts on calling post99's creampuff's,(ie.you shouldn't). Now, you are agreeing with him, therefore...you agree with me. I like both sites, so I think I'll stay. Happy Holidays.

IEATVETS--> :buttkick: <-- Inferno

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am agreeing with people who are tired of your constant whining about whether or not your car should be called a creampuff or not. You sound like a whiny little girl. If you are that insecure about your pistons or what others call your car, sell your creampuff and buy an older Viper just shut the hell up for a while.......PLEASE!

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am agreeing with people who are tired of your constant whining about whether or not your car should be called a creampuff or not. You sound like a whiny little girl. If you are that insecure about your pistons or what others call your car, sell your creampuff and buy an older Viper just shut the hell up for a while.......PLEASE!

Whatever dude, it sounds like you're the one who is crying like a little woman. I don't like the creampuff handle, if you have a problem with that, screw you, deal with it homo.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Matt, a test drive may not be necessary for a potential buyer. I've purchased four vipers over the past eight years and never drove any of them before taking possession. I think what is important to a buyer is to have the car checked out by a Viper tech, or another owner who is qualified.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I was selling my car, I would be happy to let the potential buyer come along for a ride with ME driving, but there is no way in hell I would let anyone else drive it, with the possible exception of a previous Viper owner. When they lose it into a tree and apologize, you're the one screwed.

OP
OP

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. When I mentioned "test drive" I really ment "test ride", as I would be the one driving. When I bought the car, I was only a passenger until completing the transaction so my first behind the wheel was when it was mine.

I had driven several vipers before finding this one though.

ALSO: I have had several people inquire about purchasing the car. I will know by this coming Monday if that is what I'll be doing. I will post an ad in the VCA classified section and email each person a link. THANK YOU everyone.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enough... You guys are trying to take advantage of a situation, I dissagree with you completely.

By all means, sell the car, I'll give you $30k, and you dont have to have any of these fools low bidding you anymore, you deserve top dollar, and my 30k will cover that for ya.

Jon

31, but you better make the deal fast before I change my mind.
I will even give you the option to buy it back in a year. Of course, for a small profit. ;-)

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a Viper or any used car, exotic or otherwise, without a test drive.

If you are selling a Viper or 993TT, or F355, or other high end car and won't let me drive it, forget it. I'm outta here. I will only ask to drive the car if I am dead serious about your specific vehicle, but if the answer is no, I think you have something to hide. It's only a car, and letting me drive it won't hurt a thing.

When I sell my Viper (if I sell it, that is), I expect the new owner to drive the car - if he is serious. I don't want joy riders, but a prospective serious buyer is entitled to drive the car.

Jim

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a Viper or any used car, exotic or otherwise, without a test drive.

If you are selling a Viper or 993TT, or F355, or other high end car and won't let me drive it, forget it. I'm outta here. I will only ask to drive the car if I am dead serious about your specific vehicle, but if the answer is no, I think you have something to hide. It's only a car, and letting me drive it won't hurt a thing.

When I sell my Viper (if I sell it, that is), I expect the new owner to drive the car - if he is serious. I don't want joy riders, but a prospective serious buyer is entitled to drive the car.

Jim

I bought mine and put a down payment on it without a test drive, but one of the conditions was that I got to take it for a spin, for as long as I wanted, when I went to pick it up. If I didn't like anything, I could back out of the deal.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RE: test driving used vipers forsale: since a high end car like the viper often gets a lot of tire kickers, those who want a test drive should write a check for $50 or $100 to the charity of the seller's choosing. this will **** out the tire-kickers.

just an idea (and i stole it from someone who posted on the forums a lot time ago).

JD

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello VCA: It looks like I'll be selling my beautiful 2001 GTS. I have an investment opportunity and need to raise some quick cash for the deal. I really only need approx $20K short term. I don't have the option to get a home equity loan, so "with car title in hand" it seems like my only option.

Here is my dilemma.

The real problem is that I live in OH where it is winter and snowing. This is a 4000 mile car that is perfect and sits in climate controlled (60 degree) storage. If I advertise it for sale, the perspective buyer wouldn't even be able to get a test drive because of the weather/roads. I know I wouldn't buy a car without knowing how it drove etc... Many of you that have bought cars from Bill Pemberton etc without driving them, but I doubt anyone would show me the same amount of trust.

Is my only option to wait until Spring when I won't need the money ? If so, I won't even want to sell it then. This is a short window of opportunity for the right person & me. If it passes, it will in all likelyhood be passed. Any suggestions ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be hard pressed to force the sale of a Viper at most likely a loss ($5-$10k) to invest just $20k in a business venture. What is the expected rate of return on investment of the $20k? My bet is that if you want money then the best return would come from selling your Viper in the Spring at full price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte