Separate charging system for the viper

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just took my alternator off for a rebuild and the guy mention that there was no regulator inside. I mention it was handled by the cars PCM. Well he gies on and tells me how over time the regulators have issues and blah blah and to have the charging system separated to stand on his own. He's highly recommended and dies this type of work for all types of vehicles.
Pretty much he leaves the car p/ regulator untouched but installs his own unit to handle the charging part and I believe he somehow tricks the regulator into thinking it's fulfilling it's job by sending false signals or something like that.

Has anyone had a separate charging system installed on there viper. The unit he shiwed me is no bigger then two blackberries stacked together so fairly small

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason to do this. Dodge has been doing this for a very, very long time like decades, and there are no real issues. I'd for sure get a second opinion from a knowledgeable Dodge tech / engineer before doing anything this unnecessary just for your own edification.

--FQB

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, thats why i asked. I sure as hell dont want anything else done to the car that doesnt need to be, especially something non factory.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i should of mention that I no longer the have the factory PCM, but a AEM which conts. to give me problems, even one day after repairs were done to the unit.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
i should of mention that I no longer the have the factory PCM, but a AEM which conts. to give me problems, even one day after repairs were done to the unit.
Did you install the AEM yourself? If so, did you make sure to put the two grounding pins in the proper connector plug?

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC perf. installed the unit and they confirmed they installed to two gounding pins.