Serpentine Drive Belt Napa/Gates/Goodyear /Dodge??

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased their serpentine belt from someone other than Dodge??
My 98 GTS w/AC is now 10 years old and I need to change it. I have checked with local auto parts stores (Napa/Autozone/AdvanceAuto) and have found a Goodyear Gatorback that is 77.5 inches, a Napa belt (Gates?) that is 78 inches and remember reading a subject that said the Dodge belt was 81 inches. Just trying to see what everyone else has used. Or problems you may have run into.

Thanks
A1998

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmmm. Never measured the length, but I got a Goodyear Gatorback for my Gen I at Autozone, liked it a lot, it did not have standard straight ribs and seemed to handle (what turned out to be a broken A/C bracket) much better than the previous straight ribbed belt. If it is off by two inches, it will likely not fit. Someone told me that Mopar had changed to the Goodyear belt, but I've not picked one up at a dealer to see if that is true.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am having the same dilemma as you. I want to install an aftermarket belt and very interested in the Goodyear Poly belt. I have air conditioning in my 96 but the Goodyear website only lists a belt for no air conditioning. :confused:

Any ways, still looking into others. I'll let you know if I find anything. GTSjbud

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years back (last time i replaced a stock belt), the gates/napa part # was the wrong length. they only stocked one belt, and it was for a car w/o AC. goodyear had the same issue.

i'm not sure as to what the stock belt is in the aftermarket if there is a correct one.

so for that reason, i ordered from dodge. wasn't the end of the work, and a good reason to support your favorite dealership.

good luck!

JD

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was able to put a gatorback on my 94 w/ac, however i had to use the dodge belt on my 00 as i could not find another belt that was the right length.
hope this helps,

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeff,

I believe the stocker is ~60 and I recall The Wizard making no other recommendations on the serpentine belt when I spoke with him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang